Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cloud2142

I'm an Absolute Beginner! Looking for a bit help setting up...

Hello everyone,

Great to be part of this community!

Okay so i'm almost ready to start and have the following gear:

Advanced Platinum P150 LED Light

Black Orchid 1.2x.1.2x2.0 grow tent

Extractor fan with carbon filter

8 OG Kush seeds

I guess firstly, will my gear do the job?

I'm not 100% sure on what soil i need, i was going to go for Plant Magic plus

Not too sure about nutrients as well

Could someone please recommend a soil and nutrient mix, and maybe give me a few pointers on what to do from here?

or links to a forum thread would be good also, i dont want to leave anything to chance and am keen to know exactly what i'm doing

I know i have to germinate the seeds so i'm currently researching the best ways to do that, do you need to use a propagator?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

@@Tenchie

Cheers for the advice

The Carbon Filter is:

4" Carbon Filter, Black Orchid Small In Line Fan & Duct Kit - Hydroponic Tent Grow Room Ventilation LED Set Up

Do you think this will do?

Ok,i'll go for the same soil and nutrients you use:

Plant magic pluss is a lightmix,so nutrients will need added after the soil is spent.

Its what I use along with oldtimers grow & bloom,plant magic granuals and bio cilicon.

So is the above everything i need regarding feeding them?

Advanced Platinum P150 LED Light

I'm an LED user (as well as HPS) so this isn't just a dig at LEDs in general, just about the one you've picked. I've never tried it myself, but this line makes me nervous:

The P150 effectively replaces a conventional 250w HPS grow light while only consuming 87 watts of actual power

That's just advertising bollocks. For a moment I thought it might be a 150W draw when I first read it, but it's actually only an 87W draw. Or to put it another way, you'd need about 7 and a half of these to match the one LED unit I use to flower 6 plants in a 1m2 tent.

I've never used this particular unit. It might be the dogs bollocks. But LEDs are still no better at converting electricity to light than a HPS system, so on that basis you are looking at less than a 100W to flower plants with. You might get away with two plants in a very small cupboard using that, but with a 1.2m2 it just isn't going to cut the mustard.

Buy a bigger, better LED unit (£500 is probably the minimum spend on LED imo) or a lot more of these ones or go HPS. Really you want to be achieving 600W minimum in that tent, if not trying for 800W...

1 person likes this

In a tent the size you are looking at, a 6" fan and filter is probably minimum. I would probably rather go with an 8".

Ok,i'll go for the same soil and nutrients you use:

Plant magic pluss is a lightmix,so nutrients will need added after the soil is spent.

Its what I use along with oldtimers grow & bloom,plant magic granuals and bio cilicon.

So is the above everything i need regarding feeding them?

My list of nutes that I use.

PM Soil

PM OT Grow (use up to end of week 2 of flower)

PM OT Bloom (use week 3 of flower onwards)

PM Root Stim (use up to end of week 2 of flower - will help build the roots up)

PM Bio Silicon (use no later than end of week 3 of flower - will help strengthen your plants up)

PM Granules (will help establish the roots. You only need to use a little bit on the first pot up, but the more you use the quicker the fungi will get established and since our plants are only alive for a short time, probably best using a bit too much than too little)

PM MagneCal (on standby for any cal/mag issues)

1 person likes this

@@Cloud2142

Like I said mate I know nothing about led lights,but by skys post it sounds like it`s no where near what you need.

The food above is fine if you go down that root.

I use a 600hps in that sized tent in summer months & 1000hps in winter months.

My carbon filter is 8" with a 6" reducer & extraction is a 6" high powered can-fan.

Intake is via a 5" low powered can-fan.

It`s all in my profile mate.

I know you wanna get started asap but Id advice you too have a good read up first.

Get your envireronment sorted first.

Tenchie.

3 people like this

Don't bother getting too big of a filter and fan, you've only got 150watts of light. 8 plants is a bit too much for such a small light, you can still do it just flower them pretty early, or you run the risk of having fairly large plants with no light to produce buds.

edit: its cold as well, in the summer it'd be different.

Edited by j2o

@@J20

I'm going for a HPS/Metal Halind combo no, 1000W bulbs, so was going for an 8" Rhino Carbon filter

1 person likes this

so was going for an 8" Rhino Carbon filter

Get the pro version :yep:

Oh :S?

I would start with 600w personally but all the best

If I was starting out new again I would mix a good quality living soil and not use shop bought soil or nutrients.

It wil save years of pissing around.

I would also grow one strain to start with, a pack of regs from a reputable breeder.

I wouldn't top, train or prune, just watch how a plant grows perfectly naturally and focus on looking for good genetics.

Just my 2p...

As others have said go for HPS lamp, 400v ideally. I use Lumatek 600w 400v, very good performance bit great value too.

If you must use LED get a Mars one.

RR

Edited by Road_Runner

Evening all,

I ended up getting a Rhino 8" Carbon Filter dual speed fan instead of the 4", sounds like its about to take off, not sure if its too powerfull

Havent rigged it up yet, just turned on the unit itself, guess i'll should really give it a blast all rigged up, canny noisy though

Also, would a "Maxibright Pro-Select 1000w DigiLight Supernova" kit be okay with my 1.2x1.2x2.0 meter tent? I can dim the bulb down to 400w apparently??

Cheers

Yea the bigger fans can be quite loud. You can build a baffle box to quieten them down or use fan speed controllers (though the cheaper ones will come with a high pitched whine).

Once the fan is hooked up to the filter though it will be slightly quiter.

1000W should be ok in that tent, but as long as you can dim the ballast down to 400W/600W then you at least have options if it does get too hot in summer.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like my stuff should do which is great news

Ive got the medium and nutrients on the way so just needs some posts and i should be good to go

I'm gonna measure the temp in the loft before i start, then when i'm having my dry run, hopefully not too much heat will come off, not sure how easy it is for the cops to see that sort of thing through the roof?

Anyhow, i'll try and keep some sort of OG Kush Diary

Thanks again folks