Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeeCee

Autopots!!!

39 posts in this topic

Lets get this clear there are several types of fungus gnats, they eat fine roots are happy to live and multiply in any damp warm environment with plant roots. That means anywhere hydro, soil, compost, coir even nft spreader mat or rockwool. The worst infestation I ever saw was in the root mass in an aeroponic system.

Fungus gnats are usually not a huge problem in the uk, the worst thing about them is they can carry and spread virus, pathogenic bacterial infections and worst pathogenic fungus like Fusarium, Pythium, Phytophthora, Scelrotine, Rhizoctonia etc. Get these in a grow room and you plants will not grow or root properly.

So if there are a lot of fungus gnats they need dealing with. The larvae that eat the roots are like little maggots with round black or brown heads. For Bio control try Hypoaspis miles. it works.

Spring tails eat breaking down dead organic matter and are totally harmless to any plant life, they are part of the natural recycling of carbon plant life.

They are tiny, can be white right through to black in colour. they float on run through water, and make little hops and jumps on the water surface. Forget them they are harmless.

post-338-1105720448.jpg

post-338-1105720463.jpg

Edited by oldtimer1
1 person likes this

yupp i know, i have them also :yinyang:, liek you i was also considering nematodes to deal with the gnats

but ot1s link seems good i might order some from there lol

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r441300211.html#DAMAGE

I would recommend the above link since it is very good for lots pests I think.

justagrower if you are going to look into problems you are likly to have in the uk, you also need to find info that deals with uk species. The rhs is a good place to look. Link.

Most springtails in the uk eat fungi as it decays and dying plant matter, you will find them in nearly every potted plant.

Edited by oldtimer1

OT1 I should have pointed out that at the moment I do not have any larvae in the runnoff water and I did not have any in my last grow, only these flies, although I have had the thousands of little larvae in the runnoff before, more than once.

OT1, is the link I gave not relevant (maybe due to being a US site with diff. pests that we do not have in this country, I am not sure since I did not check before).

All I can say is that the link I gave with the pic of the fungus gnat, was v. similar in behaviour and the exact same in its physical appearance to the ones I have (point taken that there are diff. kinds of fungus gnats).

As I said, I do get the larvae in the runoff water which looks the same as the springtail larvae that you posted but if they only get to the size and shape of the things in your pic then the flies I have cannot be springtails. It could be poss. that I have had both of these pests (to me this now sounds more likely).

Anyway, I have bought stuff called curator (dutch stuff - I took a pic of the bottle earlier tonight so I will post it tonight if I can get it downloaded) that got rid of them overnight with one application, although I will do another one just in case.

Cheers for the link - I will check it out.

Edited by justagrower

Not very impressed with the link as I cannot find anything on fungus gnats - there maybe some info but the name did not come up after doing a search.

This stuff killed them within hours.

Also have you ever seen this (on the right) stuff as it did fuck all to them.

Edited by justagrower

P.S. I am obvioulsy not disagreeing with you but you must remember that you are well experienced and must make allowances for me being a novice. :lucky:

Edited by justagrower

Lets get this clear there are several types of fungus gnats, they eat fine roots are happy to live and multiply in any damp warm environment with plant roots. That means anywhere hydro, soil, compost, coir even nft spreader mat or rockwool. The worst infestation I ever saw was in the root mass in an aeroponic system.

Fungus gnats are usually not a huge problem in the uk, the worst thing about them is they can carry and spread virus, pathogenic bacterial infections and worst pathogenic fungus like Fusarium, Pythium, Phytophthora, Scelrotine, Rhizoctonia etc. Get these in a grow room and you plants will not grow or root properly.

So if there are a lot of fungus gnats they need dealing with. The larvae that eat the roots are like little maggots with round black or brown heads. For Bio control try Hypoaspis miles. it works.

Spring tails eat breaking down dead organic matter and are totally harmless to any plant life, they are part of the natural recycling of carbon plant life.

They are tiny, can be white right through to black in colour. they float on run through water, and make little hops and jumps on the water surface. Forget them they are harmless.

290448[/snapback]

Fuck, am I getting annoyed at myself - recently I have been coming back to my posts and realising I have been missing things in other people's posts I have been commenting on (this one bieng a good example). You answered my question here, OT1 and I went on about the same old thing. Sorry about that, I do not know if I missed it (sure I did not) or my attention span just went (more likely) but it has been happening a lot recently which is worrying and pissing me off. m. It has coincided with my harvest....

anyway from the above I now understand what you were saying and the link was fine.

:yinyang::unsure::woot:

Edited by justagrower

"Symptoms of Poisoning with high toxicity Carbamate Compounds

- Malaise, muscle weakness, dizziness, and sweating.

- Headache, salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

- Miosis with blurred vision, incoordination, muscle twitching and slurred speech.

- In more severe cases: Central nervous system depression (coma, seizures and hypotonicity), hypertension and cardiorespiratory depression. Also dyspnea, bronchospasms and bronchorrhea with eventual pulmonary edema."

that'll be the one you used!..................... :stoned:

could you perhaps not manage to extrapolate, that if it killed the spidermites within hours?...................................

:yinyang::unsure::woot: