Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kushtydon

Blueberry her

45 posts in this topic

im sorry to everyone for getting off track, back on topic...

One thing that should never be overlooked in the Blueberry discussions is the beauty of the plant

gallery_70468_4085_30745.jpg

and the quality of the bud of course. That is beyond dispute.

Edited by DutchPassionTony
1 person likes this

In regards to the breeding of the DP blueberry have the original parent plants been maintained over the years or have they been re-selected every few generations. I ask because years ago when I grew it (1996/7 ish) it seemed to be much closer to dj shorts in that it did throw out a few mutants, infact going back to overgrow days the most common 'mutation' was some of the leaves used to twist upside down and point up. This was nicknamed the blueberry twist. The plants did however grow healthily and produce some decent smoke with an interesting flavour. Nowdays though all the DP blueberry my mates are growing all look the same. Massive plants with a huge thick main stalk, little side branching unless encouraged and massive nodal spacing. Not a looker by any stretch. On a side note though they do grow better from cuttings and this seems to help the nodes grow closer together (don't know why). Thanks for any replies.

One thing that should never be overlooked in the Blueberry discussions is the beauty of the plant

gallery_70468_4085_30745.jpg

thats a beautiful picture. so how many phenos are there and how likely is it that i could find a decent blueberry smelling pheno? not too worried about taste but what about the lovely blueberry bagsmell?

In regards to the breeding of the DP blueberry have the original parent plants been maintained over the years or have they been re-selected every few generations. I ask because years ago when I grew it (1996/7 ish) it seemed to be much closer to dj shorts in that it did throw out a few mutants, infact going back to overgrow days the most common 'mutation' was some of the leaves used to twist upside down and point up. This was nicknamed the blueberry twist. The plants did however grow healthily and produce some decent smoke with an interesting flavour. Nowdays though all the DP blueberry my mates are growing all look the same. Massive plants with a huge thick main stalk, little side branching unless encouraged and massive nodal spacing. Not a looker by any stretch. On a side note though they do grow better from cuttings and this seems to help the nodes grow closer together (don't know why). Thanks for any replies.

The original parent plants can be kept alive a surprisingly long time with various tricks we have learned. And when they reach the end of their life we select a new master mother from the last clones taken from her, this is the best way to keep the genetics the same. The Blueberry twist is still there, though not all the time.

One way to control the internodal stretch is to try to reduce the temperature swing from lights-on to lights-off, keep any temp swing to a minimum. And, of course, give her planty of intense light. In our experience cuttings generally produce somewhat shorter, stockier plants than seed grown specimens

The blue hue's are especially pronounced with lower average growroom temperatures. I must post some more pictures...

That's not my experience, or the majority of reports. :nea:

So this thread is about honesty is it?

I found it to have a slight spicy taste and not a hint of anything fruity, let alone blueberry.

Seen as this is the main reason why people buy the seeds, I think it's a pale imitation of what

a Blueberry plant could be.

Not only do Dutch Passion leave out any reference to DJ Short, the person responsible for the years of work,

but you also fail to warn any of your customers that your selling a hermi prone plant that has a small chance

of ever growing into the plant you describe in you seed description.

Yet you come on here, post out a paragraph, and expect all of your unhappy customers to be satisfied with

you selling these seeds that have such a poor reputation.

Your seed description -

Our Original Blueberry is a mostly Indica (80% Indica, 20% Sativa) strain, that dates to the late 1970’s.

A large producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues,

that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very fruity aroma and taste of blueberry.

It produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric high of the highest quality and is very long lasting.

Medium to large calyxes. “Blueberry” has a long shelf life.

Maybe this would be more accurate -

Our Blueberry was Originally made by DJ Short, a strain that dates to the late 1970’s. An

average producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues,

that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very bland aroma and taste. It's produces

a hermi prone plant that will disappoint most who grow it. The Dutch passion “Blueberry” has a long shelf

life, as you'll find many other tastier and more potent buds to smoke.

Honestly, nearly fifty quid for a pack of your pale imitations, shame on you Dutch Passion. :pirate:

1 person likes this

That's not my experience, or the majority of reports. :nea:

So this thread is about honesty is it?

I found it to have a slight spicy taste and not a hint of anything fruity, let alone blueberry.

Seen as this is the main reason why people buy the seeds, I think it's a pale imitation of what

a Blueberry plant could be.

Not only do Dutch Passion leave out any reference to DJ Short, the person responsible for the years of work,

but you also fail to warn any of your customers that your selling a hermi prone plant that has a small chance

of ever growing into the plant you describe in you seed description.

Yet you come on here, post out a paragraph, and expect all of your unhappy customers to be satisfied with

you selling these seeds that have such a poor reputation.

Your seed description -

Our Original Blueberry is a mostly Indica (80% Indica, 20% Sativa) strain, that dates to the late 1970’s.

A large producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues,

that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very fruity aroma and taste of blueberry.

It produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric high of the highest quality and is very long lasting.

Medium to large calyxes. “Blueberry” has a long shelf life.

Maybe this would be more accurate -

Our Blueberry was Originally made by DJ Short, a strain that dates to the late 1970’s. An

average producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues,

that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very bland aroma and taste. It's produces

a hermi prone plant that will disappoint most who grow it. The Dutch passion “Blueberry” has a long shelf

life, as you'll find many other tastier and more potent buds to smoke.

Honestly, nearly fifty quid for a pack of your pale imitations, shame on you Dutch Passion. :pirate:

so you didn't bother reading my posts on page 1 then?

1 person likes this

I read your posts. what is your point?

Firstly she will be prone to hermies if she is subjected to stress, we have been aware of this for many years and short of completely trying to re-breed her there is little we can do. .....

For the lowest chance of hermies you may prefer to use regular seeds rather than feminised, Blueberry is one of our legacy strains where we still produce regular, non-fem seed. Other strains do have a somewhat wider latitiude to stress and will take more abuse without stressing and hermie-ing. It could well be something in the distant genetic history of Blueberry which is responsible. That said, we had one of our top guys do the breeding process for Blueberry. You may have heard me mention his name before, Freddy. We got the fore-runner to our Blueberry from top-breeder DJ Short.

Percy, you said "Not only do Dutch Passion leave out any reference to DJ Short" I gave credit to DJ short and explained about the hermie tendencies. And remember these are tendencies not certainties.

Sorry fella, you didn't read the post before your gob got into gear

1 person likes this

My point was aimed at your seed description.

That's where you should credit DJ and warn potential customers of well known problems with the strain.

I still believe good plants can be found in your version, just it could be an expensive task finding one.

I've grown this version in several set ups, in and out, and despite healthy plants, there was no fruitiness.

I didn't post here to stir up a shit fest, just to show some bias.

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

tbh i must admit with such a bad rep for hermies, if i were to own dutch passion i would be apologising to the cannabis community and trying to work out these kinks in the breeding system.

i have respect for the honesty you have shown, but when you must think of the cost that can go into some grows, if you are not selling seeds that you advertise, you could be costing people a small fortune only to be left with a substandard product. so i see percys point

right i just read your opening post on this forum, so i see you have tryed to implement changes already. wiill you be doing any test grows of the blueberry? have you changed the genetics or what?

right i just read your opening post on this forum, so i see you have tryed to implement changes already. wiill you be doing any test grows of the blueberry? have you changed the genetics or what?

If we did try to completely rebreed Blueberry from some of our original genegank stock it would be a major piece of work (that would mean a couple of years minimum, possibly more) that would risk losing some of the characteristics that she has. And there is no guarantee that the hermie tendencies would be reduced.

It's worth getting a perspective on this as well. Blueberry is our third most popular feminized strain behind Passion #1 and Fresian Dew. And we get lots of good feedback from our customers, and I should say that actual complaints are very low for a variety that sells literally thousands of seeds. The list of our best sellers is below, split into fem, non-fem and Autofem seeds based on 2011 sales

Feminized

1. Passion #1

2. Frisian Dew

3. Blueberry

4. White Widow

5. Orange Bud

Regular seeds

1. Orange Bud

2. Passion #1

3. Euphoria

4. Power Plant

5. Hollands Hope

AutoFem seeds

1. AutoMazar

2. AutoBlueberry

3. PolarLight #2

4. Taiga

5. Tundra

Remember that these are overall figures, not just what we sell in the UK.

And a lot of the Blueberry buyers are regular customers that have grown her for years.

Edited by DutchPassionTony

just for those that are interested our annual catalogue has a list of most popular seeds in each category on page 36

http://www.dutch-passion.nl/pdf/01_Cata_UK_2012.pdf

and as it happens a nice pic of Blueberry on the following page. In general the outdoor and greenhouse grown plants look the best as the cooler night temperatures amplify the colours and many also say amplifies the taste and aroma.