Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cambium

Farm For The Future

67 posts in this topic

Love all this. Makes complete and perfect sense. Never understood what it was before now. Nature can do the work for us if we help it. Instead, we kill it and try to do it all ourselves. Seems like there's no sense to that. I would like to do something like that. Or help someone else doing it. I would be happy then.

Thanks Cam. Loved that. Was an eye opener. :yep:

1 person likes this

I would like to do something like that. Or help someone else doing it. I would be happy then.

Danzig has a place. ;)

What you mean. His cottage place? Yeah I offered hands there if its needed.

I like the way these people are thinking. Its almost a controlled ecosystem. I like the idea that all plants have their place and purpose. Obviously a truth. Modern farming has destroyed self sustaining ecosystems and now have to create artifical methods to grow crops. We will all pay the price for that one day. It makes far more sense to use nature and work with it rather than against it and kill it in the process. Although it is reassuring to know it can be turned around within 20 years. I also liked the idea of feeding trees to animals. The trees then become a pasture resource. I like farming in general actually. Its a shame I dont have a farm to play with. Its a simple life but seems like a rewarding and fulfilling one. I would most likely go live on a farm and work for food and a roof with no pay. I might be happy with that if I was able to play with the land like the people in the videos have. I just like it. I think its a good life. A happy life.

At the end of the day we spend all this resource and energy destroying the very thing that can help us. How mad is that.

Edited by Blayz'd

lol

You don't get to play on a farm, you work. ;) The point of Vermacropping, from what I could tell in the first video, is gardening, not farming. ;)

What I see happening, if we do have an oil crisis, is a lot of lost of jobs, hopefully offset by a need for vermacrop gardners. I suspect that IF humans are smart enough to make that shift, there will be a need for a lot of these gardens to match world food needs.

Although I think if we hit an oil crisis, there is going to be a lot of shit hitting the fan and it may take a long while for things to settle out. The UK could become another major world power again thanks to their sailing expertise.

lol

You don't get to play on a farm, you work. ;) The point of Vermacropping, from what I could tell in the first video, is gardening, not farming. ;)

What I see happening, if we do have an oil crisis, is a lot of lost of jobs, hopefully offset by a need for vermacrop gardners. I suspect that IF humans are smart enough to make that shift, there will be a need for a lot of these gardens to match world food needs.

Although I think if we hit an oil crisis, there is going to be a lot of shit hitting the fan and it may take a long while for things to settle out. The UK could become another major world power again thanks to their sailing expertise.

I think that was just that mans take. He was right too. What he was doing is gardening. On a larger scale it would be farming....and as far as I see farms could be run that way instead of how they are now. Especially with all the benefits that videos showed. I do see what your saying about gardeners and its true. That happened in cuba where urban growing took off. I like that idea too. Its interesting to think what would happen if that became reality here. I was think more this permaculture vs farming though. How much better it would be for all life if farms adopted the philosophy of working with nature instead of against it.

That fella who knew his stuff. The one with the helmet haircut who quotes 10 an acre. He was playing more than he was working. He was having fun playing. It is playing if you see it as playing. To me work is what Id rather not be doing. General farming like that narrators family is work. The people who were growing in wild settings, I would love doing that. So I would be having fun playing. It wouldnt be work for me.

So I would be having fun playing. It wouldnt be work for me.

Remind me to not have you head up my harvest team. lol

I was wondering if there was a rice patty equivalent to permaculture.

Paddy fields are flooded parcels of land that are farmed intensively with petro-chem. Masanobu Fukuoka didn't farm using a paddy system. He actively avoided it.

Edited by Cambium

cheers :stoned:

Great thread mate :yep:

Very intresting...

Peace & Light

Mrm :v:

I love how this guys growing all types of edibles in climates that normally wouldn't be considered growing.

fruits growing around rocks.

japanease coy carp.

cross breed his own potatoes. some lovely varieties :hippy:

e2a: blsck maize (native america), truffle potatoes, courgettte/pumkin cross,

e again: What makes me smile is that they're harvesting all the seeds, from veg to flowers, maintaining continuity with each species of plant. :D

A Case Study of Successful Temperate Permaculture

What we can learn from Sepp Holzer's Permaculture Farm in Austria

Sepp Holzer, a man who not only produces food in a very unlikely location, at a high and frigid altitude in Austria, but is also growing very unlikely crops there as well -- and all without the use of chemicals, and with minimal input of human labour.

I guess you could call him a European counterpart of people like Bill Mollison and Masanobu Fukuoka -- as all three independently discovered ways of working with nature that save money and labour and that don't degrade the environment, but actually improve it. In Holzer's case, he was effectively running a permaculture farm for more than two decades before he even realised his unconventional approach could be termed 'permaculture'.

The fact that you're improving the ground is a must and things have to change. sooner the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4X8oigRKk

:stoned:

Edited by Maui wowie