Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SearchButtonFiend

wrong variac?

Hi guys, i have been looking/waiting for a variac to turn my 10inch ruck down a bit for temp and noise issues but i think i may have got the wrong one,

the most common one that people have been recommending seemed to be the maplins 0.75 one, so i bought one, but now going back over previous posts i realised that people using these variacs have had smaller fans than mine,

ok so my question is this, will the 0.75 variac be ok to use with my ruck 250L or have i ballsed it up and need a bigger one 1amp/2amp

thanks

SBF

Hi guys, i have been looking/waiting for a variac to turn my 10inch ruck down a bit for temp and noise issues but i think i may have got the wrong one,

the most common one that people have been recommending seemed to be the maplins 0.75 one, so i bought one, but now going back over previous posts i realised that people using these variacs have had smaller fans than mine,

ok so my question is this, will the 0.75 variac be ok to use with my ruck 250L or have i ballsed it up and need a bigger one 1amp/2amp

thanks

SBF

I think you will need a larger one, i use a .75amp with a 5" and i believe it is right on the limit.

thanks erbivore,

i just saw waters thread about his 200L needing a 2amp and after fishing out my spec sheet for the ruck it says 0.9 for 'current' so i shall have to return the 0.75 and grab myself a 2amp, i had a sneaky feeling it was wrong. grr more cash to splash

SBF

thanks erbivore,

i just saw waters thread about his 200L needing a 2amp and after fishing out my spec sheet for the ruck it says 0.9 for 'current' so i shall have to return the 0.75 and grab myself a 2amp, i had a sneaky feeling it was wrong. grr more cash to splash

SBF

I would keep it(unless you are strapped for cash), you might end up wanting one in the future. I think the advice is double the fans ampage so a 2amp will be fine.

there's no need to double the current rating, for a 0.9A fan a 1A variac will be fine, as long as there is a 1A fuse between te output of the variac and the fan. the current rating of a variac is the safe constant running current, not the peak current. but of course a higher rated variac will be better, but variacs tend to go up in both size and cost proportionately will amp rating, so bigger is not always best

thanks erbivore,

SBF

I would keep it(unless you are strapped for cash), you might end up wanting one in the future. I think the advice is double the fans ampage so a 2amp will be fine.

good point, im using a passive intake at the mo so could be ideal when i upgrade to active with a 4/5" fan

there's no need to double the current rating, for a 0.9A fan a 1A variac will be fine, as long as there is a 1A fuse between te output of the variac and the fan. the current rating of a variac is the safe constant running current, not the peak current. but of course a higher rated variac will be better, but variacs tend to go up in both size and cost proportionately will amp rating, so bigger is not always best

Hi scraglor thanks for having a look,

I did look at the 1amp ones also but thought i might be better off getting the 2amp just to be on the safe side and if upgrades are ever wanted. just hope its not too much bigger than the .75 one, hoping to house it in a pc power supply box ala Lazi.

thanks for the help guys, very much appreciatted

:unsure: :unsure:

yeah, a two amp vc isn't 'that' bad, once you start going 3A up, then they start getting ridiculously large

yeah, a two amp vc isn't 'that' bad, once you start going 3A up, then they start getting ridiculously large

Scraglor, to save me writing a new topic can i just ask a quickie, sorry if i should have started a new topic

is it ok to add a switch (similar to a free standing light) to a general pond pump cable?

im thinking of a hand watering device for my hard to reach areas and wanted to incorporate a small water pump that i could switch on and off when needed, would this be ok? do they even make such a switch for 3 core cable?

for example

PLUG--------small switch--------------submersed pump

thanks

SBF

yeah, but why not just plug it in and turn it on and off at the wall? or is it gonna be powered off an extension strip?

either way, just get a small enclosure, mount a switch on the front, and connect the neutral and earth cores with terminal block inside the enclosure, the switch'll just make/break the live core. make sure the circuit is fed via an rcd

Edited by scraglor

yeah, but why not just plug it in and turn it on and off at the wall? or is it gonna be powered off an extension strip?

either way, just get a small enclosure, mount a switch on the front, and connect the neutral and earth cores with terminal block inside the enclosure, the switch'll just make/break the live core. make sure the circuit is fed via an rcd

its so i can move my contraption from pot to pot and turn it on and off while moving and watering without a continous spray if that makes sense at all? :spliff:

im so lazy. it might be just as easy to hand water, anyway..

thanks again.

its so i can move my contraption from pot to pot and turn it on and off while moving and watering without a continous spray if that makes sense at all? :spliff:

im so lazy. it might be just as easy to hand water, anyway..

thanks again.

oh right, yeah see what you mean. well yeah, you can just use an inline switch, but again, make sure it's plugged into an RCD!

:wink:

will do, thanks again scraglor