Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joolz

The Homebrew Thread

422 posts in this topic

Have been keen to try brewing my own booze for a while now. Keep reading john seymours self sufficiency book but then not following up. Tried some rosehip wine last year but didnt have enough hips. I'm really interested in trying to make some mead. Drink of the gods and all that, if Thor liked it it must be nice sort of thing.

I'm still looking into it at the moment, I think the best stuff is left for a good while. Fingers crossed I will be buggering off on a job about as far away from civilisation as is humanly possible for eighteen months so if I get on it before I go I'll let you know the results when I get back. In the mean time, anybody ever made mead?

Yeah Joolz, it is a bit odd that nobody started a homebrew thread. Good work man :spliff:

It's something I've been thinking about for, oh, about a decade - the amount I drink cheap booze has its attractions :rofl:

But I guess it's like starting growing, one stumbling block is that you don't know where to start. So can anyone recommend a decent, cheap starter kit (or failing that, the basic kit required). Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arse in gear :rofl: I like wine but I don't think I'd contemplate brewing wine cos I like nice wine. I like decent bitter too, but I think it's probably a lot easier to make drinkable bitter than nice wine, and although I do like my good ale, I can drink shit beer :rofl: So a cheapo starter kit that I can make enough crap beer quickly to get me leathered cheap is probably my starting point :rofl: CAMRA will be blackballing me.

Got me looking at Cider presses now :rofl::rofl:

Got a mate that makes his own bitter from a simple kit. Done two runs of yorkshire best bitter and they were really good. He was a complete novice and found it quite easy, A lot less fannying about than growing anyway. I'll find out the details of what he used. Cost him £40 for the first lot- which included all his equipment and whatnot, then it cost him £20 for the ingredients each time after. nice stuff. Start keeping your bottles if your considering it!

Have been keen to try brewing my own booze for a while now. Keep reading john seymours self sufficiency book but then not following up. Tried some rosehip wine last year but didnt have enough hips. I'm really interested in trying to make some mead. Drink of the gods and all that, if Thor liked it it must be nice sort of thing.

I'm still looking into it at the moment, I think the best stuff is left for a good while. Fingers crossed I will be buggering off on a job about as far away from civilisation as is humanly possible for eighteen months so if I get on it before I go I'll let you know the results when I get back. In the mean time, anybody ever made mead?

I plan to make some mead next year, I've found a couple of recipes and hopefully I'll have plenty of the base ingredient next year although it seems proper mead needs oak barrels and about 4 years to mature :rofl:

you have to be pretty patient with this hobby :rofl: I've just waited 3 years to find out that my first batch of elderberry wine was totally disgusting :rofl: , quite potent but not a pleasant taste or aroma and it left a really horrible after taste and it's now been poured down the sink :rofl: (sorry sink)

It's something I've been thinking about for, oh, about a decade - the amount I drink cheap booze has its attractions :rofl:

But I guess it's like starting growing, one stumbling block is that you don't know where to start. So can anyone recommend a decent, cheap starter kit (or failing that, the basic kit required). Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arse in gear :rofl: I like wine but I don't think I'd contemplate brewing wine cos I like nice wine. I like decent bitter too, but I think it's probably a lot easier to make drinkable bitter than nice wine, and although I do like my good ale, I can drink shit beer :rofl: So a cheapo starter kit that I can make enough crap beer quickly to get me leathered cheap is probably my starting point :rofl: CAMRA will be blackballing me.

Yep I can help booj, If you have a Wilkos near you then look up the Youngs Brewbuddy kit. £20 for all you will need, Id advise getting some malt extract while your there, only a 5er but it will give a better beer than normal sugar, or you could try mixing half n half demerar (sp).

Im a unashamedly garden raider forager and will have a go brewing anything, I must thank my old man for this.

Cheers dad :rofl:

If you use Itunes then look up 'basic brewing video' and have a look, Its my guilty pleasure ;-)

Edited by Bert

I've just waited 3 years to find out that my first batch of elderberry wine was totally disgusting :rofl: , quite potent but not a pleasant taste or aroma and it left a really horrible after taste and it's now been poured down the sink :rofl:

Yeah I think someone brought something like that to a house party I had when I was 15, Bloody awful stuff, no bugger liked it at all.

All gone by morning though!

If anyone wants to get some old fashioned reading material then buy 'brewing beers like those you buy' written by Dave Line.

A cracking book given to me by an old workmate.

post-30092-1227826798_thumb.jpg

Bert...

Edited by Bert

yo, loving this!!

i have brew quite a bit.

Beer never keept well.... ok it should be drunk....

made the damson wine described earlier, was absolutley wicked!!!!!

the only problem i had was: I DIDNT MAKE ENOUGH OF IT!!!

So now i made several 5gal. of Apple , Pear , BrichSap , Dandilion , and made a ROSEHIP MEAD!!!

made the apple too sweet so gona use it for mulled wine...

BirchSap is defo a good one..

And the mead tasted strange, but thats normal, only gets good after 2 years....

i got most my recipies from J.J.Berry first steps in winemaking. its a classic!!!!

also got a meadmaking book called... forgot now... will check..

lol

DD

hi boojum

ive been doing wine kits for about 3 years now . there realy easy and the better kits are done in 6 weeks tops(more realistically 4)

wine kits i would recomend these , there 6 week kits

ken ridge do good kits

beeverdale do great kits

beer kits

muntons india pale ale was a corker of a beer

they also do a nice lager kit so i assume all there range is decent

the beer kits are a bit more expensive when you first start as you need 1st brewing bucket for first 7 days then a pressure barrel for secondary firmentation

i would say stay away from cheeper wine kits as they taste like shite (crappy yeasts ect)

also the longer the wine takes to brew the cleaner the taste as the yeast releases itself better from the alcohol . or summit like that

hope that helps you a little

Sorry, I mean to post this earlier :D

Adapted textx from a recipie I found in a book called 'I Love It' by Michael D. Meredith. He found it in an old book called 'Urbok', so I don't think he'll mind the repro.

I don't know if anyone has seen the book, but I think the guys trials and tribulations are really warmly told. He calls the beer Dopy, the sap with extra POWER! lol

1.2kg barley malt

1kg honey

100g hemp flowers (yikes! :yep: )

20 litres water

5g top ferment yeast

250g brown sugar

steriliser

fermenting bin

hydrometer (to test sg/alcohol content)

beer bottles and crown caps or pressure barrel

In a large pan heat up 2 litres of water.

Put in to this the honey and stir until dissolved through.

Add the 100g of crumbled weed.

Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.....stir regularly to stop the honey sticking.

Now add the 18 litres of water and bring almost to boiling point. Remove from heat.

Add the barley malt and stir well, leave to cool to room temperature.

Pour the mixture into a sterilised and rinsed fermenting bucket and then sprinkle the 5g of top fermenting yeast on top of the mixture.

Put the lid on the bucket but do not seal...you need to let the co2 escape....you can keep the bucket in the grow room if you have space :)

Fermentation will take between 7 and 10 days, you will see the fermenting on the surface......test the sg/alcohol content with a hydrometer if you have one.....the alcohol content should be about 10% (FFS! :guitar: ). You can tell when fermentation is complete by consistient sg readingd over two days.

If you don't have a hydrometer, just use the days guide and you will be able to judge pretty well when fermention is complete by bubble/froth activity on the surface of the mix.

When fermentation is complete strain the mixture well.

It's handy to strain in to another large bucket with a syphon tap at the bottom for bottling.

You might need to strain twice to remove everything......maybe a wine filter if you have one.

Add 36 teaspoons of sugar, mix well and place the lid on top.

The beer can now be bottled with further sugar added to the bottles at 1 teaspoon per 0.5 litres.....don't fill the bottles all the way to the top.

Cap and store for 4 weeks before drinking.

Altenatively you could put it in to a pressure barrel to store before drinking.

Now, I have never tried this brew.....but it sounds absolutely mental.

Reading it again and typing this up, I'm half tempted to have a go and organise a party.

ATB :)

I've done a lot of wine over the years....really should get the equipment out again.

The best ones I ever did were those kits that were made of single varietail grape juice....a did a magnificent cab sav once.

They cost quite a bit compared to the cheaper ones (£35 up to £70 per kit)....but they make wine of the quality you could find in any shop at a fraction of the cost.

The cheaper kits are made mainly from apple concentrate and you have to add a lot of sugar.....none is needed in the single varietail kits.

I've never had much luck with beers or lagers...have all the pressure barrels etc.

I have made some good ciders though......gets wicked with age.

muntons india pale ale was a corker of a beer

Cheer for posting that shiro, I'm a big fan of pale ales and might drag the kit out on the strength of that.

ATB fellow drinkers :guitar:

Sorry, I mean to post this earlier :yep:

Adapted textx from a recipie I found in a book called 'I Love It' by Michael D. Meredith. He found it in an old book called 'Urbok', so I don't think he'll mind the repro.

I don't know if anyone has seen the book, but I think the guys trials and tribulations are really warmly told. He calls the beer Dopy, the sap with extra POWER! lol

1.2kg barley malt

1kg honey

100g hemp flowers (yikes! :) )

20 litres water

5g top ferment yeast

250g brown sugar

steriliser

fermenting bin

hydrometer (to test sg/alcohol content)

beer bottles and crown caps or pressure barrel

In a large pan heat up 2 litres of water.

Put in to this the honey and stir until dissolved through.

Add the 100g of crumbled weed.

Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.....stir regularly to stop the honey sticking.

Now add the 18 litres of water and bring almost to boiling point. Remove from heat.

Add the barley malt and stir well, leave to cool to room temperature.

Pour the mixture into a sterilised and rinsed fermenting bucket and then sprinkle the 5g of top fermenting yeast on top of the mixture.

Put the lid on the bucket but do not seal...you need to let the co2 escape....you can keep the bucket in the grow room if you have space :)

Fermentation will take between 7 and 10 days, you will see the fermenting on the surface......test the sg/alcohol content with a hydrometer if you have one.....the alcohol content should be about 10% (FFS! :guitar: ). You can tell when fermentation is complete by consistient sg readingd over two days.

If you don't have a hydrometer, just use the days guide and you will be able to judge pretty well when fermention is complete by bubble/froth activity on the surface of the mix.

When fermentation is complete strain the mixture well.

It's handy to strain in to another large bucket with a syphon tap at the bottom for bottling.

You might need to strain twice to remove everything......maybe a wine filter if you have one.

Add 36 teaspoons of sugar, mix well and place the lid on top.

The beer can now be bottled with further sugar added to the bottles at 1 teaspoon per 0.5 litres.....don't fill the bottles all the way to the top.

Cap and store for 4 weeks before drinking.

Altenatively you could put it in to a pressure barrel to store before drinking.

Now, I have never tried this brew.....but it sounds absolutely mental.

Reading it again and typing this up, I'm half tempted to have a go and organise a party.

ATB lol

i really like the sound of this i did do home brew wines and larger many years ago and would like to give this a try any of the more experienced brewers know how this could be done on a smaller scale ? could it be done if you just halved everything?? i dont have a 20l pan :D plus 50g of bud sounds better if it all goes tits up

hmm that how to brew beers like those you like book sounds good to me, i want to brew a nice refreshing lager & have it fizzy in the bottles (if possible) for next summer... or a bitter with a delicate taste, something like worthingtons original rather than the ones that taste like vomit..

making one's own drugs is a wonderful world :unsure:

A Friend has just explained to me that one can graft a hop plant onto the rootstock of canabis and then brew beer from said hops and you get high of it!!!!!!!

sound worth an experiment!!!!!

lol

DD