Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BushDoctoR

Smelly HPS Light

wha gwaan peeeople dem,

i have just installed a hps light in my wardrobe, after leaving it on for a few hours i noticed that their was an odd smell coming from my light, at first i thought i could be something burning but its a different sort of smell, its like a cross between glue and fish, and i think its coming from the bulb, i know it sounds funny but its true.

has anyone else got a light that smells???

their is a possibillity i fitted it with the wrong fuse, but i dont think that could make it smell. i am baffled ;)

>>mArLzTaH<<

:)

Some halogens have special inhibitin chemicals to prevent leakage and explosions. They can cause some smells BUT never heard of em havin a fishy smell :) . Some fish monger sellin you HPS bubls again ;) .

Detoxed

Did you get anything on the bulb when you screwed it into the lamp holder.

Grease or something off your hand's?Because the bulb will melt anything it touches.

Hydro :yinyang:

no :yinyang:

clean it with a soft cloth and glass cleaner or alcohol (make sure it's totally dry and free of alcohol or the cleaner before you go sticking it back in!).

if that doesn't solve the problem then the answer is that someone stuck a haddock in the there too and the hps heat is making it smell. in other words, it's something else in there, on a surface, whatever. anyone ever thrown up in there after a wild party? no? :yinyang:

Its most likly the windings of the ballast. Either the varnish is curing, sometimes happens when it gets really hot for the first time or two. Or it is overheating. You don't have it inside the cab do you and the ballast vents are open to fresh air.

Singed conti board or formica also smell a bit fishy, you don't have the light close to any do you.

Hi marlztah,

It's one of those all in one 70HPS lights isn't it ? I used one of these in my first growbox, I had it hung in a small box 28" high and there was only around 3" room above the light to the ceiling of the box. The heat from the light barely warmed up the wood closest on the ceiling while it was running and also I could still touch the light housing without burning when it was on. How hot is yours running ?

I would do as the others said and clean the light out, it might be worth removing the wiring covers etc and checking nothing is loose in there also.

Cheers

RM

Did you get a reflector with the lamp? If so - did you peel off the plastic sheet that sits over the shiny surface? Just asking as I flipped mine on without taking off the plastic first and got a funny smell as the bulb heated up :smoke:

DL

Edited by DaLata

at first i thought i could be something burning but its a different sort of smell, its like a cross between glue and fish,

marlztah,

Check your plug mate, the smell you describe may be the bakealite plastic the plug is made out burning.

Did something simular with an electric heater once, took me 3 days tp figure what the smell was.

May be wrong tho!

hello 420,

the answer is that someone stuck a haddock in there

of course, silly me! ;)

You don't have it inside the cab do you

yeah, im gonna take out the ballast this week

It's one of those all in one 70HPS lights isn't it ?

yep, how did you know? you been watching me? :(

How hot is yours running ?

i can put my hand on top of it without burning my hand

did you peel off the plastic sheet that sits over the shiny surface?

not sure mines got one, but i'll have a look later when the lights turned off

Check your plug mate

the plug is fine, but it did spark this morning as i plugged it in, is this something to worry about?

cheers,

>>mArLzTaH<<

:blub:

ive just checked it again, i put my hand on top and it was very hot, i had to take my hand off after about 20 secs.

would removing the lamp and balast from the case fix this? or would over heating be an electrical problem?

>>mArLzTaH<<

:laser:

>>i have removed the ballast from the case, taken off the glass and cleaned the lamp- everything is now running smootly :bush:

>>mArLzTaH<<

Cool,

well done :smoke:

Cheers RM