Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DANZIG

Bee Keeping

342 posts in this topic
:smoke: I think if I had 120 bees trying to sting me I might possibly lay a double yolker, though. Just not one you'd want on a fried egg butty.

you're right. a boojum double yolker would be far better scrambled (and on toast) :spliff:

worrying stuff!

^^^^^

so this guy pimps his bees out to areas of nectar paradise such as apples, cherries and almonds, as a business. and as a service to nature.

then when they dont return home to his shitty factory ranch where they get scooped up with thermos flask cups, funnelled into containers, transported 1000's of miles in juggernauts, and generally messed around with. or even dissected...

i think you missed the main point lol

If he and others like him didn't operate like this then there would be no crops and the farmers who hire his services would be out of business

Right or wrong these methods have been practised for decades in order to keep up with the ever increasing demand for foodstuffs, once upon a time there were enough local bees to pollinate small scale production, now because wild bees are virtually extinct because of pesticides and imported disease and because of increasing population and demand, crops are grown on a much larger scale than the remaining local bee colonies can cope with so extra bees have to be brought in from elsewhere, the fact that the bees are now just disappearing puts this whole system of food production at risk which will in the short term add to food shortages and increased prices on the food that is available and in the long term add to the growing financial and eco meltdown that we are all facing :(

he blames it on some virus or pesticide poisoning.

the pesticides concerned have been banned in germany and france because of similar losses seen there

Ironically Bayer who make the pesticides, sponsor the British Bee Keeping Association and the BBKA logo appears on the pesticide packaging to suggest its bee friendly so not much chance of it being banned here :doh:

Honeybee population collapses as one in three hives lost

The study by the British Beekeepers' Association (BBKA) revealed that nearly one in three of the UK's 240,000 honeybee hives did not survive this winter and spring.

The losses are even higher than the one in five colonies reported dead earlier in May by the government.

The National Bee Unit, which monitors bee health, has attributed high bee mortality to the wet summer in 2007 and in the early part of this spring that confined bees to their hives.

This meant they were unable to forage for nectar and pollen and this stress provided the opportunity for pathogens to build up and spread.

But the BBKA says the causes are unclear. Its initial survey of 600 members revealed a marked north-south divide, with 37 per cent bee losses in the north, compared to 26 per cent in the south.

The BBKA president, Tim Lovett, said he was very concerned about the findings: "Average winter bee losses due to poor weather and disease vary from between 5 per cent and 10 per cent so a 30 per cent loss is deeply worrying. This spells serious trouble for pollination services and honey producers."

The government calculates that the UK's honeybee hives, run by 44,000 mostly amateur beekeepers, contribute around £165m a year to the economy by pollinating many fruits and vegetables.

The Honey Association claims British honey supplies will run out by Christmas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

The Honey Association claims British honey supplies will run out by Christmas

not round these parts they wont be :yinyang:

post-2-1218647232_thumb.jpg

post-2-1218647276_thumb.jpg

post-2-1218647292_thumb.jpg

thats just from 3 frames that i couldn't resist taking off the hive yesterday, still have about 20 or so to remove :)

i extracted one , and one to go when i get some more filter cloth and am saving the other as cut comb B)

Edited by Joolz
1 person likes this

looking at the middle picture

"i'll take a B please joolz" :yinyang:

gotta say mate..i'm not a lover of honey but thats class

Edited by TB

Very worrying indeed, but thats what happens when the quest for profit replaces the stewardship of nature and protection of the environment, sadly the gov and business regard our natural resources as just another means of production another cog in the capitalist wheel used and abused till its broken.

As usual they have ignored this problem until it is too late to research or tackle it effectively, par for the course innit.

Its not just Bees either, there has been a severe lack of all insects this summer! where will it end?.

the pesticides concerned have been banned in germany and france because of similar losses seen there

Ironically Bayer who make the pesticides, sponsor the British Bee Keeping Association and the BBKA logo appears on the pesticide packaging to suggest its bee friendly so not much chance of it being banned here lol

Bayer eh? Them and whoever make that round-up shit got a lot to answer for.

Chinese fellahs running around the fields with paintbrushes and pollen ffs :Spam_Icon:

Still.. Lovely stuff Joolz ya oul hippy.

Betchya that honey is good medicine. :guitar:

Enjoy it.

This is a great post. I love the fact that we're using this forum to get together and give something back. I care deeply about preservation of wild flower and herb ;-) species and bees are the only way they'll survive. Great work x

Just filled out a membership form for the beekeepers association in my area. I thought about getting some to keep at home but to bee honest I don't understand them very well. I don't know what pisses them off or what would make them attack an animal or whatever. Or even if they would attack anything. Just don't know enough about them to keep them here from the off. I don't think it's something I should play with like I usually play with stuff. That tip about the beekeepers association was great though. I can learn everything there first and I believe they sort me out with a few hives included with the membership fee. Which is very reasonable. So I'll send that off today. Nice one for that Joolz. Just what I needed mate.

What sort of yields do you get with that honey? Like per number of bees per hive how often. I like it though. I'm gonna get a membership to this association thing and go from there. :yahoo:

just a heads up

BBC4 at the moment is

"who killed the honey Bee"

i would love to keep bees, just a few (hopefully easy) questions joolz.

do you wear a suit every time you go near the hives?

if you have an empty hive, will bees go into it or do you HAVE to buy a colony?

how many hives do you have and how much honey do you get each year?

cheers mate

Edited by Enzo5

Countryfile did a piece on the pesticides and Bees the other day, up to date as ever I see lol

John Craven was almost licking the Bayer reps arse with his ever so polite interview style,

waste of time unless you wanted to hear the PR bullshit from the Bayer appologist.

just a heads up

BBC4 at the moment is

Thanks Tightbud

I caught the later showing and tbh I wished I hadn't, it was very depressing to see but after watching how the US bee farmers treat and handle their bees I'm not surprised they are buggering off.

One bee "farmer" had over 70,000 bee hives and it was plain to see that they weren't living creatures to him, just another commodity and 150$ a week per hive for pollination services.

Also worth noting that the state of US bee is so bad that most of their replacement colonies are being imported from Australia which is fine atm but if they have a poor breeding year in OZ then the US could very easily find them selves with no bees and no pollinated crops, which in turn would mean huge financail losses for the US farming industry and a severe shortage of food

who killed the honey bee ? on iplayer for anyone who missed it

i would love to keep bees, just a few (hopefully easy) questions joolz.

do you wear a suit every time you go near the hives?

not to go near them, only if I'm opening one up

if you have an empty hive, will bees go into it or do you HAVE to buy a colony?

sometimes swarming bees will take up residence in an empty hive, you can even buy swarm lure which is basically a pheromone which will attract a passing swarm, it doesn't always work though.

You can buy colonies but they are not cheap, but if you already have a good colony you can split it down to make new ones as I'm in the process of doing now.

I started off with one colony last year which swarmed, i caught the swarm and put it in my spare hive, this year I'm hoping to make a new colony before they swarm which saves me having to climb trees to get them back lol

how many hives do you have

I've got two at home (soon to be 3 hopefully) and I've got a hive at club the apiary which i belong too, but i went to check on that one last week and it was empty :rofl:

and how much honey do you get each year?

anything from nowt at all on a bad year to over 100lbs per hive depending on amount of availble forage for the bees and the weather, if its cold and wet they don't leave the hive and all the time they are stuck indoors they are using up reserves ,not making any , so hopefully we are due a nicer summer than the previous few :rofl:

Edited by Joolz
to add iplayer link

just a heads up

BBC4 at the moment is

Repeated tonight on BBC4 10.00pm