My Growdrobe, Step By Step

Church

Amazing stuff, Just the inspiration i needed, although id be wanting to grow more than 2 plants a time!

Thanks for putting all this up, im going to be making a start on my own "drobe" soon, i think this is ideal!

:soap:

Amazing stuff, Just the inspiration i needed, although id be wanting to grow more than 2 plants a time!

Thanks for putting all this up, im going to be making a start on my own "drobe" soon, i think this is ideal!

:soap:

Church provided me with my template and inspiration too mate :doh: I owe that man a beer!!! Hopefully at the expo lol

Church - A truley classic thread. Much appreciated, and will be literally using it step by step.

However...........I do have some questions if you wouldnt mind.

1) The top section ( fan housing ), looks like it is carpeted internally...is this the case and is this for noise reduction purposes? Is it just normal carpet/underlay?

2) Did you have to make more passive intakes as you mentioned you might? - Either way can you give me the full dimensions of your intakes?

3) Also I cant see any 's bend' piping coming from the outside of your drobe - How have you got around a light baffle? - I was going to add an s bend peice of piping and cover the end with some old tights or similar, but this will look kinda conspicuous ?

4) - Any chance you could PM me the link/store you got your fan controller from?

Thanks again Church, and everyone else thats made this site a holy grail for erb growers nationwide :stoned:

Another question for anyone really, does anyone know where the overgrow grow diary's were moved to? - I know its somewhere, but having real trouble finding it?

1) The top section ( fan housing ), looks like it is carpeted internally...is this the case and is this for noise reduction purposes? Is it just normal carpet/underlay?

It's just some spare carpet I had, so I covered the walls in it for noise reduction

2) Did you have to make more passive intakes as you mentioned you might? - Either way can you give me the full dimensions of your intakes?

There are 2 on the right hand side of the cab, and 1 cut into the floor... not sure of their sizes tbh - you need 5 times the size of the extraction for passives...

3) Also I cant see any 's bend' piping coming from the outside of your drobe - How have you got around a light baffle? - I was going to add an s bend peice of piping and cover the end with some old tights or similar, but this will look kinda conspicuous ?

My 'light baffle' presently consists of some sheets of mylar covering the passive intakes inside the box...

4) - Any chance you could PM me the link/store you got your fan controller from?

They don't sell em anymore anyway...

Thanks again Church, and everyone else thats made this site a holy grail for erb growers nationwide :headpain:

No worries dude :wassnnme:

• 4 weeks later...

As many of you will know, I have had some temperature problems in the Drobe when running the 400w HPS... So it became time to fix this!

Enter the CoolTube

All I had to do in the end was to drill another hole in the shelf on the right hand side - I positioned this so I could have the fan sucking straight upwards rather than round any bends.

After that, I removed the filter so I could lower the shelf and inserted the cooltube, with ducting on both ends - one end goes to the carbon filter and the other to the extractor fan.

post-7455-1172416161_thumb.jpg

In the pic you can see the carbon filter on the floor - it actually goes on the shelf above, just below where it was before. The glue wasn't ready when I took the pic tho so it's on the floor (lacking its cover, as I was washing it while I had the chance!)

The cooltube works by sucking air over the light then out the extractor - reducing the temperature in the drobe, and allowing plants closer to the light.

I'll report on the success of this change later on....

The cooltube works by sucking air over the light then out the extractor - reducing the temperature in the drobe, and allowing plants closer to the light.

I'll report on the success of this change later on....

You might find that this damages your fan. The hot air from the bulb shouldn't be sucked from the van.

Ideally, you'd want to rework it so that it follows:

->Carbon Filter->Fan->Cool Tube->Exhaust

Not,

->Carbon Filter->Cool Tube->Fan->Exhuast

Some fans have a max operating temperature, you might want to check your model number and send them a quick email. I'd guess it'll be hard measuring what the temperature of the air passing through your fan is, but by simply rewiring it the other way it's peace of mind.

Nice drobe though - What you are putting on the shelf that you broke? I put some reinforced bars under mine (cost about a 10er from b&q) ... will now take my weight & 22ltrs of water & full plant.

Just wouldn't want any hydro kit you might have falling, splitting, leaking through to the floor underneath/electrics etc.

Edited by DamienG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice one Church

Got a similar set up going on.Lot cheaper than growshops.A fellow crocked and skint grower.

Thanks alot man, this thread has been inspirational. I am just getting things in order to start my first grow and I will definitely be building a drobe with your instructions. I was just wondering if a 250w lamp would solve the heat problems or is that not enough light for the ladies? Also, what size is your fan and where does the air you extract from the drobe go?

Buddy.

• 4 weeks later...
So that's it nearly done - I need to get the temperatures down more, so will be increasing the size/number of intakes, perhaps even fitting a PC fan or two blowing at the light....

I also have to pick up my fan controller from the PO tomorrow - stoopid meds makin me sleep through the postie ringing my doorbell Sat morning!

Am so pleased with myself - havent done anything physical for over a year, and despite the pain I've seen it through to the end - I see this very much as an investment rather than an expense, and despite budgetting £250 to it have spent somewhere in the region of £475 building it. Almost half of this was on the 400w HPS and the RVK Fan and Carbon Filter though....

Given my living situation, it's a necessity really in order to remain stealthy! That reminds me - stealth locks to go on tomorrow too!

I'm also gonna get a couple of clip-on fans to get the air blowing about (thanks to PGT for lettin me know about Staples havin em) cos my de-ioniser/fan isn't upto it, and the 12in Fan I have in there right now is too big!!!

What you can see in there plantwise is 6 Bubblelicious, 4 Blue Mystics and 1 Unknown!

I know they are expensive but have you thought of a cooltube ?

• 4 weeks later...
My 'light baffle' presently consists of some sheets of mylar covering the passive intakes inside the box...

Hi Church,

Nice drobe!

Can you please explain what you mean by the above? How does the air get in if the intakes are covered with mylar? How does the light stay out if they're not firmly attached?

Also, how was your experience with the cool tube?

Greetings and Salutations Church,

Absolutely tip top guide lol and an inspiration to everyone. I have also just read about you in my latest copy of weed world. :rofl:

Congrats, and again thanks for the informative step by step guide.

Peace and one love

Buffalosoldier

Can you please explain what you mean by the above? How does the air get in if the intakes are covered with mylar? How does the light stay out if they're not firmly attached?

I dont think they are glued over the intakes, prob just hanging over the top of them so the air can come in and go under the mylar. Light wont leak out as the mylar is covering the hole!

Hi Church,

Nice drobe!

Also, how was your experience with the cool tube?

Hi, the cool tube's going well. I'm glad I fitted it.

Regarding the light baffles, I am still being a bit of a lazy arse and haven't installed proper ones yet - how they work at present is as follows...

On the inside of the drobe are 2 mylar 'squares' cut slightly larger than the passive intakes, and covering them. The mylar is only secured at the top, so air is able to enter the drobe. Although this isn't lightproof on its' own, It appears to work when combined with the Oven Hood filter material and the grilles. I'm not 100% sure though, as I broke the drobe floor last time I tried to climb in and check for lightproofing!

Sorry for taking a little while to respond :yinyang: