Coco Grow Fed Once. Yes Once

Owderb

On 20/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, Notorious B.U.D said:

This really does sound like a dream come true for me…not that I’m lazy or anything…lol

I figure it's worth a punt, even if it needs occasional fixes with liquid feeds, worth it alone if the res needs topping up only 4x per year.  :yep:

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Slippy One said:

In what way?

Can only speak for myself but might apply to others

I've got a couple of plots I'm still hmm and hawing about because of various reasons.

Not needing to come back to feed means set and forget is possible to an extent, less likelihood of treading obvious paths

Less amenable spots could be just filled with coco and this so removes the need to amend/till. Imagine a 420l pot like the seedstocker challenge with this.

Might be way off the mark

• Like 3

From my experience, feed is the least of the concerns when growing wild outdoors, like what would you do in a 3 month 38C drought? Also, a decent fistful of chicken pellets at planting was more than enough. :yep:

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 0:24 PM, Slippy One said:

probably add the required amount of mono mg for my area

there's mg in one of the other additives in the mix, i have 0 mg in my water, and it's been two weeks with no def since potting up with beanstalk

i'm just using liquid seaweed

• Like 3

My only worry is that my bonsai's are in 3.5L pots. Not sure what size is recommended. The V-Basis nutrients from Beanstalk don't say what size, they do say on the pack that soil that drains well needs a higher amount, and also that temps affect how long the food lasts, i.e cooler lasts longer, while warmer is less. 

V-Basis is their veg pellets and they recommend a rate of 25g/gallon which is a lesson in different measurements in itself. 

If I'm right in thinking a gallon is 4.5L, my 3.5L bonsai pots will need around 20g, which means my 454g bag of pellets will last years!! You can even top dress with them. I'll either strip down the existing root mass on the mums, so the new roots will have plenty of coco with feed to munch, or if that fails, take new cuttings so they have a new root ball scattered with food to dig into. 

If this works for the bonsai's, it's a game changer for sure. We already know the flowering food is up to scratch. I'll let you all know how it goes for the mums/vegging. :yep:

• Like 5

@Slippy One the chap from the company i got my freebies said it's not designed for fast draining medium, not sure what he meant as coco is pretty fast draining i would say, but i'm new to it so...

also, why do you only keep a mum for 6 months? i've heard many times it's best to keep the mum from seed for as long as you want the plant, until you die if you could lol . surely you are better off just taking a cutting at flower stage and reflowering that cut? 

6 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i've heard many times it's best to keep the mum from seed for as long as you want the plant, until you die if you could lol . surely you are better off just taking a cutting at flower stage and reflowering that cut? 

You heard wrong. 

Also, the FAQ sheet that came with my products says a ph of 5.8-6.2 is recommended, especially if hard water area. I won't bother (as I stopped years back), but something to consider.. 

As for the 'not designed fore fast draining medium' - the packs states: "If the soil or growing medium is sandy and loose with good drainage (low carbon exchange capacity), a higher rate of the product should be used" 

Still nothing to lose and a clean res that never needs scrubbing to gain!! :D

10 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

You heard wrong. 

is that right? i think it was ot1 who gave that advice iirc, best to keep the same plant rather than weaking it with subsequent cuttings over time.

he say here you can keep a mum for up to 15 years

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

is that right? i think it was ot1 who gave that advice iirc, best to keep the same plant rather than weaking it with subsequent cuttings over time.

I'm no expert, but the cutting is still technically the same plant so should be as strong as the original seed.

My outdoor bonsai mum cuttings seem to be getting stronger as the years progress, but this is most likely the milder autumns. Still vigorous, still the exact same taste and flavours as original seed mum, and just as potent since 2017/18. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slippy One said:

I'm no expert, but the cutting is still technically the same plant so should be as strong as the original seed.

i wasn't getting at the fact it had to be from seed, but apparently it's better, but the fact you can keep them for longer than 6 months, seems pretty pointless going to all that effort and keep changing the plants, when you just clone and hang on to it or you could have just one mother and keep that going.

Well, if these V-Basis nutrients only last 3 months of vegging, I'll happily take new cuttings every 3 months and have zero worry about losing anything genetic. :yep:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

I'll happily take new cuttings every 3 months and have zero worry about losing anything genetic. :yep:

tbh it wasn't really about that either really, just what's your reasoning of doing that, rather than keeping one plant going and less faff?

are you worried about the plants health after three/six months?

i've seen some beautiful old plants on here with monster sized trunks in small pots, looks cool as fuck