Coco Grow Fed Once. Yes Once

Owderb

@mikeydoughnut and @Slippy One

You guys are talking about coco and runoff being your issue. 

plenty of people use BLUMATS with coco and don’t get any runoff at all. 

I’ve done grows in coco with almost zero runoff it’s about adjusting your input EC to be lower so you aren’t supplying too much salt each time for it to accumulate. 

Let’s say you feed your mum for a month with 1.0EC and very little runoff. 

then for 1 week utilise 0.6EC to reduce any salt accumulation in the coco. 

this allows you to barely achieve runoff while keeping healthy mums/plants without having to remove any left over runoff feed. 

just some food for thought. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

then for 1 week utilise 0.6EC to reduce any salt accumulation in the coco. 

Starve your plants for a week because you’re letting your coco get to salty? 

Yeah I don't buy it. My tap water is .7EC. I thought feeding coco every time with the right amount of food was best. Always happy plants this way. Testing EC is more work, with these pellets my only drama is keeping the res topped up. That and my lack of mg in my water. 

All coco growers with auto feeds will need a drastic downgrade on the feed pump, to avoid run off!! 

What's the smallest pump available? lol

@Slippy One you can adjust pump speeds by utilising back pressure release valve and supply line valve. 

also like I said plenty of people in the USA using BLUMATS with coco and zero runoff. 

loads on that old site I used RIU. 

Edited by JonDaMon

50 minutes ago, The Green Manalishi said:

Starve your plants for a week because you’re letting your coco get to salty? 

it’s not starving your plants. 

it’s all done to compensate the accumulation that tends to happen. 

the reduced input feed allows the extra to be diluted. 

1 hour ago, The Green Manalishi said:

Should have said under feeding them, rather than starving them, apologies 

again though it doesn’t underfeed. 

clearly I mustn’t be explaining it very well. 

the guys were talking about runoff being their issue to deal with. 

I offered a solution to continue being able to use the nutrients they are familiar with and not get any runoff. 

my first scrog was under a 400w HPS with a drip feed system that I ran at 0.9EC (source water 0.2EC) for the entire grow (besides seedling stage) and I barely got any runoff at all during the whole grow. 

I didn’t have to adjust my own feeds every month I just kept topping up my reservoir with a mix of 0.9EC. 

if the guys are worried about accumulation the reduced 1 week feed (which is just lowering the EC of the reservoir for 1 week) was a solution to the accumulation. 

Every water source can be different hence why I mentioned it, because they must have a handle on their coco feeds even with high EC source water to be happy with their grows using their current nutrients. 

Previously mentioned I got some samples when uk wholesalers were looking to run it

All 3 parts worked pretty well for me.. The only problem I thought (dangerous I know) is if you are a tinker kind of gardener

@owderb had the right approach " mix in" "add water" can most growers do that? lol

As years have passed I've reduced my urge to add this that and the other 

Most of these probably counteracted the other silicone - root stims - super thrive - boosts - shooting powders etc etc etc 

I think the beanstalk is great for a new grower and makes for keeping things simple

Experienced growers that leave it to work as on tin ( package) might even benefit

I liked it but struggle not to tinker lol

I'm wondering if this is popular with commercial growers in legal states? 

Would sure make life easier? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeanpoole said:

I liked it but struggle not to tinker lol

are you using it now? be cool if you had a diary with it, i'm just into flower with it atm

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

the guys were talking about runoff being their issue to deal with. 

I know exactly what your on about

If dealing with the run off is an issue or a pain in the arse to deal with, maybe cocos not the medium to be growing in

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Green Manalishi said:

I know exactly what your on about

If dealing with the run off is an issue or a pain in the arse to deal with, maybe cocos not the medium to be growing in

true. 

possibly one of the reasons a lot of folks opt for soil for mothers. 

personally I haven’t kept a mother plant since around 2014/15 but I’ve been a coco grower since 2009. 

I allow runoff in my own grows. 

my first DIY auto irrigation system was a PITA using schrubblers and a 15minute segmental timer lol 

now I can flood the pot within 1 minute using an open feed system. 

• Like 2

I’ve in a round about way tried what you’ve said but it requires too much guess work. If there’s no run off you can’t test it. You’re hoping it’s about right.  I wouldn’t be comfortable going a week without seeing what’s in the pot. I know if I run enough through it’ll be what I want it to be. Besides I’d rather piss run off up the wall than grow the fucking abortions I did in that cacky muck …

• Like 1