Coco Grow Fed Once. Yes Once

Owderb

I was at a show this year when I heard someone say "yes you can grow in coco and never feed" so as you can imagine I was intrigued. I waited until he was free and asked him about this product he was talking about and he told me it was called Beanstalk. Now I'm not sponsored and I wasn't asked to do a journal on it, in fact no one knows I am doing this but like I said I was intrigued. He happened to be the boss so I questioned him on the product.

I asked about ph and ec monitoring and he said you dont need to. I also asked asked how the stuff knew when to release the nutrient seeing as you mix all the ingredients when you pot up in to your final pot. I won't go in to how it works because for those interested its all on their website. I also asked what do you do if you get toxicity in the root system to which he replied he's not seen anything like that and thousands of plants have been grown with it in the states. Ecothrive are the distributors in the UK

You also dont have to water till run off although it is recommended you do it maybe once a week with a small amount of run off. I said I still cant believe it would work so he gave me some to try and thats what I have done and thought I'd document it for you. I got two clones exactly the same and treated one with Beanstalk and the other was fed as I would normally and heres my results

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 35

Here they are after one week of veg. The one at the front is the treated one and the other is behind it. Its very hard to take a photo of them both but this way they also got the same amount of light

large.1wkveg.JPG

large.IMG_0643.JPG

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 13

Here they are at 3 weeks in. Just bear in mind that plant at the front does look a little lighter in colour than the other but its the flash thats doing that. If anything the front one is a bit darker

large_3wkf.JPG

large.IMG_0649.JPG

Owd

• Like 15

And here at 6.5 weeks. I have never worked with this clone but soon realised it was going to be a fairly quick finisher as you will see from the next two pics

large.IMG_0669.JPG

large_46f.JPG

• Like 21

The treated plant by this time had just started to pale a little which would be nearly 9 weeks of growth but the boss told me the food should sustain the plant for 90 days all told. He also said that you really need a minimum 15ltr pot for it to work best. Mine are 11ltr with 10ltr of coco but he said they should be fine but I would say its good to go the last week or so with less food. Lets say its the plant self flushing if you like.

I will be cropping both plants in the next week so I'll put pics of them both after trimming but I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how its gone. I dont think its particularly cheap but not mega expensive neither but it certainly takes a lot of messing about out of the equation and for some folk that will be clincher I suppose

Well there you go. A full Coco grow fed only once and if anything the buds on the Beanstalk plant look slightly larger than the other but not sure on density yet but there's certainly not much in it between the two

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 33

Thanks for posting @Owderb , very interesting as you said...

I'll toddle off and read the website for more info.

Looking forward to your update after chop.

• Like 1

Very interesting, iv recently switched from soil to coco as i found soil too difficult to work with, im having much better luck with COCO

this would be even better for me, il have to keep this in mind for my next grow. im using 15l autopots and the minimal run off sounds perfect for autopots 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee
  • Like 4

@Owderb nice and easy, I've been enjoying the same experience with the ecolife soil.

@Ledgrowlights-Adam has been talking to me a while about the Beanstalk stuff it looks like a good alternative, seeing the results in coco now is awesome as I'm dropping the peat/coco mix eventually (just using it in the nursery now).

Do these need a flush at the end? if it lasts 90 days I imagine it's not an issue.

• Like 1

@Exhale

What I'm goIng to do is water till good run off for a week but Ive already took a few buds off without any watering through to see if there's a difference in taste. I suppose with the bossman telling me not to water till run off during the grow then watering with good run off will at least wash some of the nutrient away from the root ball. As we know flushing is a bit of a myth but if it reduces the nutrient already in the plant by any amount then I suppose thats good so we'll see

Owd 

• Like 8