Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Guest peace&quiet

Dont see why not mate..

Be better in a way I think as when putting into the autopot you need to topfeed by hand untill theres roots at the bottom then use the autopots.

So Id say yes mate...you,d probally need a few days tho for roots to reach the bottom and away you go.

p&q

I use Cannazym....

How often?

Every feed, although at the moment I'm using it once in a blue moon as a test.

Hantshaze - Coco + autopots is awesome, like they were made for each other. I've seen lots of good grow diaries now and pure coco is the way forward. If not using bubble domes in the bottoms then a layer or two of hydroton instead is a good idea to keep the roots from sitting in nutes. But no reports I've read of root rot from them. Also a lot of people are big fans of bottom feeding coco...and with the autopots there's no waste. All very nice, and reliable. Will be looking into them myself in the future, but for now they aren't flexible enough to handle multi strain perpetual grows like mine because I can't raise them up like regular pots.

And handwatering coco rules - you just have to do it more frequently than compost, hence autovalves and drippers. Come to the coco side - I promise you won't be disappointed :nuke:

GN

• Like 1

I've been looking at the autopots.. the plants sit in water constantly. So is it not a problem to not remove run off, when hand watering; Takeing into consideration you have layer or 2 of clay pebles at the bottom?

..Further more, say your plant drinks "x" amount of water a day, could you not double.. "x" and let the run off sit in the tray for 2days.. then remove run off and refill?

Sticky.

Edited by stickyblack

Guest peace&quiet

Been reading about these myself lately Sticky.

Seems to good to be true eh!

From what I have read 20ml of nutrient is supplied via the aquavalve? Once thats supped up it opens and feeds again..

If you were concerned about them sitting in water after a feed you could get a 100ml syringe and suck it out? just an idea!

p&q

Hey P&Q.. its isnt 20ml, its fills up to 20mm's .. regardless of tray size.

They sounds great, although if i was going to go forward with this setup i would only by the valve.. and all the rest DIY.. much cheaper.

But if these autopots constantly sit in 20mm of water.. and coco loves it.. what the need to remove runoff after 30mins when hand watering..? ..(as said above with a layer or 2 clay pebbles in the bottom.)

Edited by stickyblack

Guest peace&quiet

Sorry my mistake...would av been alot easier if it were 20ml :rofl:

This is my first attempt in coco mate & as an experiment Im going with Norunoff with this lot. Its working well so far just water from the top every 2 days with 1400ml never had such healthey plants this far into bloom to be honest.

To be honest a couple of times Ive had a runoff with plants at the back of the tent (pain in the arse to get too) and Ive just left them in what maybe half a saucer of water & the next days its gone,either drank or evapourated,this might be bad practise but like I say its working and Im happy with my plants.

Im really tempted to buy these next time round,thinking about 6/8 with a 100litre tank I would build but my diy skills are non exsistent.

Goodluck in whatever you decide fella..

p&q

Sticky -

It's a good question, and I've no idea on an answer. You'd think that having roots sat in nutes wouldn't be a good thing, and there's no flushing through.

My best guess is that the constant uptake from the small local reservoir and the wicking action of the coco keeps nutes flowing through the rootzone and therefore wet, so no salts to sit around out of solution that would have been flushed when handwatering a wet/dry cycle.

Autopot have these little bubble domes, which are little airstones that you plant at the bottom of the pot. It means you get a mini DWC thing going on if you don't want to do clay pebbles.

GN

Yea your coco grow looks sweet as, doing a really great job so far :wink: ..And your feeding regime is pretty simple.. i like to keep the idea of top watering too.

Even with the run off as you said you have left and havent had problems. That was the idea i was coming up with; That it cant really be a problem with the clay pebbles at the bottom at all :ninja: ..because you coco is not bathed in the water solution, but your roots will reach so they'll feed when they want to, not over feeding.

It really isnt that hard to setup the Aquavalve.. just the valve->6mm tubing->tank. Valve in tray, pots in tray.. plants in pots :ouch: ..They look great. As far as i know i cant find any problems with people having floods.. but thats my one last worry to using a res.. I need to waterprooth the loft if i went that way.

Edited by stickyblack

Hey GN,

I think the root zone sitting in nutes isnt a bad thing.. when aerotated. Although if you look at Hempy buckets, it has a built in res .. if 2.5Gal bucket, will have around 2L res, you drain and refill every 2days. As far as most the guides go to building them they say you dont need a airstone.. for a small res like so, but they do make a difference, but not essential.

Your thoughts about the wicking cycle from the coco is spot on to what i had in mind. I think you could still feed either way(top or bottom,) with a flush or with out. But i would rather flush.

Yea i have seen them airdomes, im sure they do a great job.. but the pebbles are hell of alot quieter :fear:

Edited by stickyblack

What types of coco and which is best? makes, models etc...

I need to go and buy my first batch of coco - going to go up to 11ltr pots at final stage and will go for four or six (undecided) so will need around 50ltrs of the stuff - which to get?

Cheers

Z

Guest peace&quiet
What types of coco and which is best? makes, models etc...

I need to go and buy my first batch of coco - going to go up to 11ltr pots at final stage and will go for four or six (undecided) so will need around 50ltrs of the stuff - which to get?

Cheers

Z

Canna Coco professional pluss this end... :wink:

Guest hantshaze

Mmmmm these auto pots look safe.

As well as the coco and pots what other gear is needed?

Ph pen

cf truntion

clay pebbles

nutes. are they the same allway throught growth but at dif strenths

anything else needed.

Hantshaze.....

Guest peace&quiet

Ph pen

cf truntion

clay pebbles

anything else needed.

Hantshaze.....

ph up/down

ph buffer 4&7

What nutrients you going for mate? Theres a good few out there just make sure they are coco specific.

Personally I went for the hesi range because they do a starter pack that contains all you need.

What I would say is if your doing more than 4 plants go for the 5litre bottles works out cheaper in the long run.

If you choose the above gimme a shout and Ill send you some good links reguarding hesi nutes.

p&q

Guest hantshaze

Ph pen

cf truntion

clay pebbles

anything else needed.

Hantshaze.....

ph up/down

ph buffer 4&7

What nutrients you going for mate? Theres a good few out there just make sure they are coco specific.

Personally I went for the hesi range because they do a starter pack that contains all you need.

What I would say is if your doing more than 4 plants go for the 5litre bottles works out cheaper in the long run.

If you choose the above gimme a shout and Ill send you some good links reguarding hesi nutes.

p&q

cheers p & q mate.

I have no idear what nutes to buy yet!

I did see that canna did a starter pack. But as you say i would rarther go with 5l bottles and make a saving :rofl:

I got to no the main geeza at my local'ish grow store and he will help me all the way. Not try and sell me dear'est.

There is'nt much more needed then. Looking betta all the time.

Just want to get everything bourght so then i have to use it and join you guys on the dark side :smoke:

gonna go with 6 pots or 8 pots if they will fit end to end in a 2.7m long closet.

You dont no how long a 2 pot tray is do ya buddy??????

Cheers for ya help.

hantshaze.......

Guest peace&quiet

I rekon youll get 8 in that space with no problems mate depending on what size pots you opt for.

Sorry mate aint got a clue on the tray sizes..have you tried the autopot website?

Look forward to seeing you sometime in the near future on the cleanside mate.

Atb.

p&q