Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Guest peace&quiet
Nice thread peace&quiet lol i'm in.

I'm only on my second go with coco, watering from the bottom this time around.

Gotta love those coconuts. :band:

Niceone Yan...Welcome aboard mate!

How you finding watering from the bottom? I had a wee go at it at the begining of this grow but bottled out of it,cant explain why tho they certainly supped it up ok! It just never felt right with me,maybe because I watered compo from the top I dont know..

Would like to here some more from bottom feeders who dont have any runoff,I can see why you would water from the top and get a runoff..so would wattering from the top with no runn off be the same as watering from the bottom with no runnoff?

Keep the opinions coming lads..

p&q

Thats a nice root mass GN :doh:

Looking forward to seeing the 6.5l pots pics, should be a good comparison there!

P&Q, I know what you mean about watering from the bottom. It just doesnt seem right for some reason :) :wink:

If the chilli plant I had this summer is anything to go by they should love getting it from the bottom! That was in coco getting fed the run off from the MJ in a saucer and is the best i've grown yet.

Back to the good stuff...

When they were in their 1L pots they were sucking it up like nobody's business, it's nice and easy for me too which is always a bonus. They've only been in the bigger pots (straight to 6.5) for a few days so i'm watering top down at the moment, will let you know how it goes once the roots reach the bottom and I start going bottom up again.

My favourite thing about coco is that it doesn't matter how much mess I make with it. The carpet friendly growing medium.

...oh and the speed of root growth obviously :yep:

Hi All,

I am just staring my first grow with coco, well actually my first grow ever. So here are a few questions i am hoping some of you more experience guys maybe able to help me with:

1) When should i first starting giving my pants the nutes? Straight away? When proper leaves appear? Worried my seedlings have no nutrition to grow...?

2) I have read different opinions regarding watering (water until runoff or not). From my reading i thought you had to do the wet/dry cycle so that you dont drown the plants? Is this not possible with coco?

3) Also what is the best dist for the lights to be with seedlings? I have a twin 55w flourescent and did have it approx 22" above the pots. Through reeding other posts i have now moved it to about 8" above the pots, is this ok?

Also any other important thing to consider with seedlings and coco you may be able to advise.

Thats all for now, hopefully i will hear from some of you pros soon.

Thanks

Guest mygreenmojo

Oooooooo :( Weeman. I would'nt give my pants nutes at anytime man. You'll wake up in the mornin with 10 foot wide Y-fronts or something. :rofl::rofl:

Edited by mygreenmojo

1st things 1st nice thread p&q :rofl:

That's just my experiences - yours may vary...but I had a long discussion with a friend about this, but he has been a soil grower up until a year ago. He reckoned an 11l pot practically takes up the same space as a 6.5l pot, especially when you consider the plant extends beyond the perimeter of the pot, so bigger pot = more soil = more roots = more buds. So I went to 11l pots.

However, in coco everything changes. It isn't soil. The roots develop better in coco than they do in soil and the medium is much more efficient. You can grow much bigger plants in coco in smaller pots than you can in soil (ime, but I think it holds true). When my lights come on later I'll take a photo to show you a Santa Maria plant in a 3.5 l pot and you'll be impressed at how big it is in such a relatively small pot (due to daily watering and the coco effect).

Soooo...I now think that there is a point in coco at which there is a diminishing return...i.e. the optimal pot size is probably around the 3.5-6.5l mark, depending on how you grow and what you grow, and how you feed. I really feel it is more about frequency of feed than pot size.

Here's some rootpr0n for a Santa Maria I chopped last night in an 11 pot. The roots aren't heavily matted or particularly rootbound and I think it shows that the pot size could have been too big. I've no real idea, that's just my feeling. Wait til you see the 3.5l Santa Maria photo tonight and you'll see what I mean :rofl:

GN

i used to mainly use the 11l pots meself and found that unless i'd potted up frequently and made sure to use a 6.5l pot 2nd last i just couldnt fill the medium out without a huge amount of extra veg(another month nearly, after 6weeks initial veg) so i just finish em off in the 6.5s unless ive got a slow vegger i can give the time to.

another problem i feel with rooting out the larger pots is not feeding till run off evrytime because you cant be arsed or cant move the pots to collect the run off so you just water maybe a couple of litres when 4 could easily go through til run off(bottom of your pot pretty dry= not much rooty action imo).

• Like 1

On all of this stuff, hydro, coco, soil or aero what I've worked out so far is that there is no 'right' way or perfect instructions - it's what works for you and your setup/environment. I hear what you guys are saying about it being a pain in the ass to pull plants out, and the great success of autopot bottom feeding, but ultimately you've got to try a couple of different methods or variations on a method to see what works best for you.

e.g. Here's what works for me - check my sig for my mini sog grow. Having 12-16 plants handwatered in coco is a pain in the ass, but I didn't want to go recirc drippers....so I put in a wilma without the pump and drippers as a catch tray for runoff. Now I handwater the plants in the tent to runoff, and empty the res once every few weeks when it fills up. That's just what works for me...and it means that if I want to go away for a few days I can setup drip-to-waste. Ease of use as well as the benefits of feeding to waste.

Here's that Santa Maria in a 3.5l pot @ 31 days of 12/12. Nice eh? See what I mean about great ratio of bud:pot/root volume.

post-34516-1256508513_thumb.jpgpost-34516-1256508517_thumb.jpg

GN

• Like 6

Top job GN.

Im having second thoughts whether to go to a coco mix or pure coco.. but its looking now i must just go full blow on the coco route. Im still making the decissions on what size pots to use, will either be 3 x 3.5L's or 2 x 6L's; on a daily drip. Will be using GA nutrient range hopefully.. thats if the local hydro store will order them in for me(I only do cash in hand) ..Otherwise it will be Hesi's coco range, also i like the sound of the one part, not A+B's.

Cant wait :yes:

The debate is on the pot size now ..dunno whether to use 3x 3.5L pots or 2x 6.5L pots..? ..do the 3.5l's effect yield?

Edited by stickyblack

:D:yinyang:

Thats got to be one of the best plants ive seen in such a small pot GreenNinja! Fantastic work mate. The proof is in the pudding as such!

Hmmm, definate 6.5l pots for my white rhino I think! I darent go any lower yet lol This is going to save so much space, water, coco, fert and it is going to be alot easier to water till run off.

Thanks for the pics mate :B):

Edited by namaste666

Sorry P&Q .. forgot to say this is a great thread :yep:

---

Think i've come to the decession of trying both 3.5L & 6's ..see what works best. Also cant cant get hold of the GA nutes, mean shop- there so grumpy too :) ! ..so will be moving over to Hesi.. they seem pretty straight forward by the sounds of it. If not, i like a challege :)

Been doing bit of searching round and i have some thought on how to go about watering.. I will be running on drip. I have read that once a day is better than every other day.. but i've read twice a day is better than once a day.. ? ..What you experts think?

Guest peace&quiet
Sorry P&Q .. forgot to say this is a great thread :)

---

Think i've come to the decession of trying both 3.5L & 6's ..see what works best. Also cant cant get hold of the GA nutes, mean shop- there so grumpy too ;) ! ..so will be moving over to Hesi.. they seem pretty straight forward by the sounds of it. If not, i like a challege :spliff:

Been doing bit of searching round and i have some thought on how to go about watering.. I will be running on drip. I have read that once a day is better than every other day.. but i've read twice a day is better than once a day.. ? ..What you experts think?

Welcome aboard Stickyblack!

Good to see another new coco head.Youll love this medium mate,Ive not experienced anything like it for speed of growth. I choose the hesi nutes aswell mate,if you can afford it buy the 5 litre bottles,works out cheaper in the long run,if not get the starter kit and you cant go wrong,Ive attached a link you might wanna have a little read thro.

As for watering I hand water every 2 days so cant help with the drippers..sure someone will give you a nudge. Its a personal thing on the watering buddy youll read daily, sometimes ,3 times a day others once every 2 days, Its down to you and what suits best,just make sure the coco dont dry out..keep it moist! You can see how Greenninja grows in 3.5,s above with great results in little pots also check my diary to see how big they can get in 6.5,s heres were Ive made my first error in vegging clones for 25 days and potting up twice,too many big plants and its a chore to maintain them..

Look forward to seeing how you get on mate.

All the best

p&q

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?show...=193010&hl=

Back again with nothing to do but ask Coco questions lol

So, I have been thinking about roots and not potting up etc which got me thinking. In big pots (11-14 litre), is something like cannazym not needed as much? Cannazym claims to -

"Cannazym works by breaking down dead root matter in and around the root zone to encourage fresh, healthy, new root growth"

My friend told me yesterday that when his plants finished in coco in 11 litre pots there was a decent sized rootball halfway down but after that it was just "thin spider type webbing" roots, not like a big root mass or anything. (backing up basically what you said GreenNinja)

Surely if the pot has so much empty space, something like cannazym will not be needed to be used as frequently as a plant in small pots which need the space for the new roots to feed?

I am asking really because it says in a few nutrient schedules to add this daily with your feed. Greens recommend atleast weekly so I am guessing/asking whether the frequency I use cannazym is based upon pot size? I have just ordered some but dont want to overdo it in my 14 litre pots if its not necessary!

BTW, for those interested, I just cant afford to try the same nutrients Owds uses this time, not since I already have enough Canna A & B to finish me off. I will be definately trying it next time though to run next to what I have left from this grow.

I have instead bought Hammerhead pk9/18 and Carbo Load to add to Canna A & B for flowering :B): (my friend has used this with great results)

Edited by namaste666

The Hammerhead and Carboload will work wonders - they were both in my standard mix before I went off on this crazy B'Cuzz trip, and if it goes wrong I'll be going right back. Of AN's overpriced bullshit line, those are two good products I find...and reasonably priced too.

On the Cannazym, I was using it in every feed (50ml in 20l mix). I've read a few independent tests on enzymes and Cannazym consistently beats the competition for healthy roots (can't remember the method, but it involved the enzyme and a strip of cellulose I think)....and it's not expensive.

My mate, who is a two time cup winning grower, said that his guru produces the best, tastiest weed he has ever smoked. This guy uses only B'Cuzz nutes and Cannazym "when he can be fucked or remembers", and so that's why I'm having a go at it....but the point is that even on a pure B'Cuzz regime he was still using Cannazym occasionally.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to use Cannazym every feed but it seems like a good idea to use with some regularity. I prefer to put it in my mix and then use Hygrozyme once a week instead (too bloody expensive, but high quality product). I'm now not using any *zyme products on the B'Cuzz test because I think the Booster says that it has enzyme-like effects.

Sorry if that was a bit of a ramble :B):

GN

Guest peace&quiet

My zyme product is hesi,s powerzyme,works like cannazyme by breaking down any dead material.

I use it continuesly at 2ml per litre once or twice a week.

Its especially helpfull at the begining of your grow and helps promote healthey roots/growth.

:B):

Cheers GN, just what I wanted to hear mate and full of information as usual lol

I have bought some cannazym because like you I think it should be used but clearly not like alot of schedules insist. I didnt know about this Hygrozyme though.........................as I type it into google :nea:

About your boost having enzyme like efffects, a new carbo load called Bud Candy made by the same people who make Carbo Load, has 2 products mixed together which claims to help root health etc. I nearly bought this instead of the cannazym and Carbo Load but bottled it and decided to go with what my friend used with abit if cannazym added weekly.

Anyway, just thought you might want to know if youve used Carbo Load before :B):

Thanks again mate, really appreciated lol

• Like 1