Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

I use it continuesly at 2ml per litre once or twice a week.

Cheers P&Q, yeah this seems to be the norm. Good job I checked really because I was going to feed it every water. Hmmm that could have proved a nice big waste of money lol

This forum and more importantly its members have saved me so much time, effort and money over the last few years. Proud member here :clapping: :fuckyou:

Yeah that Hygrozyme is erm somewhat costly GN :clapping:

£130 for 4 litres. I can see why you dont use it daily in your feed :fuckyou:

It does sound good though!

ARRGGHH all of these nutrients that keep cropping up. It will take me 10 years more of growing to try them all out lol

Has anyone tried any organic coco nutrients? I see there's a few about but i've not had chance to try them yet.

GreenNinja has a diary/topic trying to work out a feeding schedule for coco using the biobizz range, looks very interesting...

clicky

Guest peace&quiet

Question?

Im into week 5 of 12/12 and noticed over the last couple of waters/feeds a few plants are spitting some out where as before they supped the lot,so do they have a period in coco were they slow down on their feed?

Its not a problem just an observation they all look fine..

p&q

Namaste - the initial trap that canna product manufacturers know that all noobs will fall into is the promise of "bigger better buds" if you use product X (with absolutely NO side by sides, just claims and no evidence or independent validation!). I fell into it and spent untold amounts of money buying expensive plastic hydro systems and expensive overhyped nutes. If you look at any of the experienced mud growers on here, dare I say it the older school, you see absolutely stunning buds (big, blingy) grown in nothing but BioBizz Grow and Bloom. If nothing else it clearly illustrates that you don't necessarily need all the snakeoil and hoodoo that you think you need (because you, me and everyone else are bombarded with advertising making all kinds of unsubstantiated claims).

e.g If you put Advanced Nutrients at one end of the scale, and BioBizz at the other end....e.g. compare Owderb's nuggets to Big Mike's. Obviously I've not smoked either (!) but I would be willing to bet that Owd's taste better at 20% of the yield and 90% of the cost. I just don't see that the alleged cumulative effect of all those AN nutrients being worth it to the percy smoker (or indeed the commercial grower).

You really have to find someone whose style of grow you like and then copy it, and modify it for your own circumstances as you learn - at least that's my view.

As for BudCandy - I'm livid that Big Mike has taken two bottles, CarboLoad and Sweetleaf and made one bottle of BudCandy and 3x the price and half the volume. I will not buy BudCandy on principle because it is obscene as to what he is doing (e.g. Bud Factor X). It is an absolute ripoff and a really blatant one....I'm having no part of it. If CarboLoad wasn't so effective I'd drop it from my regimen.

Here's what I figure you need in coco, based on my experiences: (not necessarily 'need' per se, but the main categories of additives)

- Base Nutrients (obviously a Coco specific feed, usually a 2 parter)

- PK (for additional PK for week 5, personally I use it from week 3 til flush)

- Root Stimulator (for weeks 1-3 to develop rootball)

- Enzymes (for root health)

- Booster (depends on which you use, many contain fulvic acids, sugars etc....e.g. Canna Boost, B'Cuzz Coco Bloom Booster - on this list probably the most controversial of all)

- Humic and Fulvic Acids (often in the Booster, fulvic acid can help increase absorption of nutes)

- Silicon (for physical strength and mould resists)

- Carbohydrates (for size and feeding any microherd...I like Carboload over molasses...also often in the Booster)

- Beneficials (microbial life for maintenance of roots and uptake of nutes)

My view is that the coco is a largely inert material, so you have to provide the environment (like clay, or unlike the mud crew). The real question is how much do you really need to provide, and how much difference does it actually make - but that list is the conclusion I came to. I have now stripped my feeding back to basics on this B'Cuzz thing I'm doing and if my results turn out similar then I'll know it's all bollocks and I've been overdoing it again still!!!! :P

GN

P&Q- When you say spitting out, you should be watering to 10% runoff anyhow. Mine tend to drink a lot more in heavy flower and then calm down again around end 6 early week 7. On week 5 they should be starting to pack it on, or getting ready to. Have you PK'd your feed? It might be they're wanting to drink more P and K.

Edited by GreenNinja
  • Like 2

Guest peace&quiet

GreenNinja!

As this is my first attempt in coco this grows just a bit of an experiment. Theres a few things I will be changing next time.

I water every 2 days with 1400ml per plant,all are in 6.5 pots. Theres no runoff tho (usually) apart from what Ive mentioned above.

Ive read theres no need for a runoff and going by that this time round,next time Ill try with a runoff as what Ive read from you it does make sense.

Ive started the pk yes..only had it twice tho sofar at 2.5ml per 10 litre of water Ill be increasing this to 5ml at the begining of week 6.

Cheers for your input Im sure Ill refer back to it sometime in the near future.

p&q

I think I will join you GN and not buy that Bud Candy and stick to the individual nutrients then cheers buddy :D

You have basically the same bases covered as me with regards to nutrients etc so atleast I know I am on the right track :yahoo:

Just a quick question, I am going into flower tomorrow. When should I start adding my Hammerhead PK8/19 and Carboload to the feed. I see you GreenNinja use the PK from week 3, is this the same for the Carboload? I am sure my friend used it from the 1st week of flower? (Might be wrong though, I will check with him later)

I think I will join you GN and not buy that Bud Candy and stick to the individual nutrients then cheers buddy :(

You have basically the same bases covered as me with regards to nutrients etc so atleast I know I am on the right track lol

Just a quick question, I am going into flower tomorrow. When should I start adding my Hammerhead PK8/19 and Carboload to the feed. I see you GreenNinja use the PK from week 3, is this the same for the Carboload? I am sure my friend used it from the 1st week of flower? (Might be wrong though, I will check with him later)

I put Carboload and PK into my flower mix, which they start getting as soon as buds start to form (usually around end week 2). If I was growing a homogenous crop then I'd probably tailor it more, but because I run different varieties perpetually (i.e. diff start times) it's just easier for me to give a standard mix to them all, irrespective if they're at week 3 or 6. As you can see from my plants it seems to work fine - but you could optimise your nute use and get better buds with a little tailoring. I think at worst you're wasting nutes (e.g. PK) if they're not really used that much in the earlier weeks but Hammerhead or PK13/14 aren't terribly expensive and have decent dilution ratios (about 1-2ml/l for the Hammerhead @ £12/litre).

FWIW I was also using a carbohydrate product in veg too (Earth Juice's Catalyst) to feed the microherd, but Superthrive should do a similar job via the Vitamin B in there....or just bung a bit of Carboload in (doesn't need to be flowering strength), or molasses.

GN

Great thread.

Can I just add - I started my bigbuds in 11litre pots - I got some advicefrom these helpful folk, including p+q which indicated i shouldnt have put em straight into the big pots - this should have been done gradually, ie - 1 to 6 to 11 (maybe???).

I was going to repot em but a guy i know said to just crack on and to be hoonest they looked really well vegging and picked up so i wasnt bothered about not pottin up properly. Since i changed my lights the litlle flowers started to develop and i thought they were looking ok till I got to day 25 or so and thought they are not fattening up even when using pk13 and canna boost. Checking p+qs diary and seeing my mates who has the same strain is like night and day to me - thankfully there is lots of bud but its tiny in comparison to ps and my mates.

All my essential enviroment details are as spot on as i coiuld hope, iv had no wilting or crazy yellowing and no nute burn. After reading loads of stuff im putting this down to me not potting up correctly and when i kill em im going to check whst sort of rootball i have compared to my mates - i know there will be a big difference.

I guess what im saying is - potting up seems essential(along with enviroment, nutes etc) if you want the real magic (huge fat colas) to happen.

Im on day 31 now so cant do much to change the path im on, but defo next time ill be getting um in the right pots and nurtering them this way.

Keep the advice coming in gals and guys - I BLOODY NEED IT!!!

Peace to u all.

thank you for the thread.

I've seen GH ripen used on a scrog of jacky white in coco. it was applied as per the instructions on the bottle, this was done to fatten up the buds and bring the grow to a timed end a couple of days early. so seven weeks and 4 days instead of 8 weeks.

It worked, just don't expect miracles and it did make the bud smell a bit "gluey".

All the other nutrients were canna cos that was what was available.

again thanks for this thread

Just a quick one..

If i was to use a 70/30 coco/soil mix.. would the soil mix buffer the ph automatically? ..this is just a geneal question, i will be checking ph anyways.

Reason being i want to use a mix like this is, i would like a 4 plant sog (3.5Ls) along side 1x 6.5L scrog which will be pure coco, with dripper. With the Sog i would like to hand water as its going to multi strain.. so i can custom the feeds. Ideally i would hope this will allow me to leave it to every other day watering; But i dunno.. as GN stated with pure coco they need feed everyday.

Any ideas?

Sticky.

Edited by stickyblack

Reason being i want to use a mix like this is, i would like a 4 plant sog (3.5Ls) along side 1x 6.5L scrog which will be pure coco, with dripper. With the Sog i would like to hand water as its going to multi strain.. so i can custom the feeds. Ideally i would hope this will allow me to leave it to every other day watering; But i dunno.. as GN stated with pure coco they need feed everyday.

Sticky - you don't have to feed them every day in 6.5l pots or bigger if you have the space? Ideally you would feed them every day but they'll be just fine without as long as the coco doesn't dry out - which it shouldn't at regular growing temps in 6.5l or bigger.

Dangled - Don't compact coco at all. Coco's great strength is the air in between the coco spaces, so the roots get good air as well as great nute uptake. Don't compact it. Just pot up and feed.

GN

• Like 1

Dangled - Don't compact coco at all. Coco's great strength is the air in between the coco spaces, so the roots get good air as well as great nute uptake. Don't compact it. Just pot up and feed.

GN

Thats what I have been doing, when it comes to potting up though it feels like it will just fall out.