Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Guest peace&quiet
Dangled - Don't compact coco at all. Coco's great strength is the air in between the coco spaces, so the roots get good air as well as great nute uptake. Don't compact it. Just pot up and feed.

GN

Thats what I have been doing, when it comes to potting up though it feels like it will just fall out.

See the first page on here fella,theses were just getting potted on then & as youll see the roots hold it together pretty well.

p&q

leave it a bit longer before you pot up then. any medium should be as light and airy as possible, so you don't want to be compacting it down at all

My first time in pots, DWC and NFt before. Are these ready to pot up?

It's a bubblegummer

Still got a bit left dude - this is when I pot up :yep:

Ps: Your coco looks very dry mate.. you want your coco to always be a bit damp so those roots are not having to work their way through dry scratchy stuffs. Roots like being able to slither their way round the silky smooth wet stuff.. Sounds a bit sexual, I know

post-25934-1257279462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doobz
  • Like 4

My first time in pots, DWC and NFt before. Are these ready to pot up?

It's a bubblegummer

Still got a bit left dude - this is when I pot up :yep:

Thanks for that

Great Thread!

Thought I'd put something back after the good advice to go with the Hesi Coco nutes. No Regrets.

Got something to add regarding how i deal with runoff to make it less of a hassle.

I put the pots on 8ft by 4ft sheets of translucent corregated plastic, £5 a sheet from Balls Up Some Quitters (or any other reputable evil diy megacorp) the sheets set at a slight angle to allow the water to, errr, runoff. Well supported, a foot or so off the floor. At the low end of the corregated plastic, attach some plastic guttering (I use coat hanger wire), again at a slight angle to catch the runoff and put a washing up bowl at the low end of the guttering. For a small set up should cost £10 - £12.

I put an inch of clay pebbles in the bottom of 6.5l pots as I find that to get runoff without them leaves the coco too wet.

I aim for the runoff to be about 10% of the solution, altho i read here that its 10% of the growing medium. Works for me.

I add water, twice the amount of the runoff to water the plants outside as its not cool to chuck it down the drain. Dont know about using it on edibles, though.

JSM. Be Nice And Watch Your Back

• Like 3

i would aim to pot up somewhere between the two. agree about the medium being to dry though, coco is a hydro medium, it should be wet at all times

I'm experimenting with Coco at the moment, the first res I made I overdid the PH down and PH up'd with rhizotonic after already using PM root stim. It's created some freaky plant single prong and 3 prong fan leaves. The 2nd res was made properly and the 2 clones who've never had the 1st res look normal 5 pronged plants, the 2 original ones are growing 5 pronged leaves now.

When I repotted the original plants which had super root stim doses they were solid roots, never seen anything like it.

I've tried hydro twice and failed miserably but Coco seems so easy and my roots are lovely white instead of godawful brown.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to cut the plants up in Coco at the weekend for clones which should give me enough clones to do 9-16 per light in probably 11ltr pots.

I'm erring towards 9 but I might do 16 under one light and 9 under another to compare.

Might do that pot noodle thing in coco as well.

G'day Coconuts... :bag:

Enzymes - don't have to have, but they maintain the roots and aren't expensive...worth doing even infrequently (e.g. once a week)

Following-on from talk of enzymes & maintaining healthy roots - has anyone experience of keeping plants alive in coco long-term & keeping the roots healthy..?

I've been keeping my mum's in coco for the last year-or-so. I was pruning the roots every 6 months (as outlined in the OT1/cannabase guide to keeping bonzai mums).

However - I've just had an attack of root-rot and found that the lower, inside portion of the rootball of my mum's had decayed & rotted. There was no way I'd be able to remove that dead material by root pruning as described in the cannabase article.

So, would any of these enzyme products do the heavy-duty job of keeping my mum's roots healthy? I'm thinking something like hygrozyme since I'm now regularly sterilising my watering-water...

Otherwise it's a matter of regenerating my mum's from cuts every 6 months or so...

Any thoughts..?

Cheers all

Stan

Guest hantshaze

great thread!

Realy thinking about going coco stylie.

Any one used auto pots with coco?

They look a very hassle free system.

Like the fact you can leave them for a week+. or can you?

Hantshaze........

Guest peace&quiet
great thread!

Realy thinking about going coco stylie.

Any one used auto pots with coco?

They look a very hassle free system.

Like the fact you can leave them for a week+. or can you?

Hantshaze........

Thinking about theses myself mate..

Have a look at Minoritys diaries.

p&q

Guest hantshaze

will do p&q.

Cheers for the quick reply.

I think 6 pots would fit my closet nicely.

One more question if you dont mind.

I take it growing in coco you can hand water plants in small pots in a veg cab and when you need them you can pot them up into the auto pots. Like compost growing.

Hantshaze.....