Supercropping

Owderb

Super croping ? if that,s the same as bending or tying over what i,ve done in the past was to grip the stem with thumb and two fingers then start twisting back and fourth gently to start with then move up the stem and repeat. what you get is a soft pliable stem that does not kink. Also i used to tie mine the day they went into 12/12. it,s a great way to control hight and yeilds well(especialy sativas) Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

My master kush have just been supercropped! She was getting to close to the light with little headroom left so it had to be done.

This is a new technique (sp) for me! Seemed brutal and a couple of stems broke,but are now resting on the cannopy of my other plants,fingers crossed they will be fine in a day or so.

At least the cannopys a little more even at 11 days 12/12.

Can this be repeated again whilst in flower if need be?

Penny.

would only do if really needed for first 2 weeks of flower no longer as they need the energy for dem buds !!!

• 1 month later...

It's my first grow and I am up for trying new techniques I have 5 lovely female plants they are all ice strains. I have tied some down and supercropped one. I twisted the main cola 180 degrees one way then back the opposite way about every two to three inches all the way up . I was a bit skeptical about what it would do but the thickness and and strength has increased considerably . Anyone got any tips on growing ice strains?

• 3 weeks later...

Surely it uses alot of energy over a few days to repair the stem. That's energy which should be going to buds in flower. If I didn't have the space to bend I think I would supercrop in flower if they were getting to big. I think it's best to do all the supercropping just before flower. Give it a few days to repair and then 12/12. Then not as much energy gets taken from the buds in flower. I've never done it in flower but I'd guess it slows growth because it's using some of the energy to repair rather than grow.

ive done it several weeks into flower, its better than letting the top bud burn on the lamp, and ive not noticed any serious reduction in yeilds in fact i seem to get more

• Like 1

Just an example to show just how much these plants can take

A supercropped smile which actually split and as you can see there is a hole from one side to the other, but as the other picture shows the plant is nice and healthy 24 hours after SC, although it's dead as of about 20 mins ago as it was a male lol

post-30716-0-82789400-1315253926_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-30401500-1315253938_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just a little tip ive fond for super croping that helps not crack your stems. Take a pair of pliers and wrap the teeth with electrical tape and that way when you find the branch you would like to super crop instead of trying to pinch the stems specially those thick ones with your fingers. BAM you just give it a squeeze and you get a perfect super crop and wont snap you stem less repair/stress for the plant. i supercrop like crazy and sometimes i had plants in flower and i would super crop something and not bend it enough and crack or snap a stem. heart breaking. plants look great. just a little tip to make it easy

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To add to this ... when you do this you put the head that faces upward ... and you put it to the side, this will block light to anything below it, so make sure you place the bent stem in an area so as not to stop any major leaves being shaded ...

• 3 weeks later...

hi there owderb !! merry xmas to ya !!! just wondering , ive been lst growing for few years but wo9ndering is it ok to still pinch and bend when in bloom ??? saw some vidio years ago some guy saying if your top cola is heading for the bulb and no more height to rais your lamp you can pinch and bend it same as supper cropping in veg but late flower ??? dont want to do anything drastic to my girls as im getting best results ever but i have 1 auto mid flower and its huge lol!! wondering if pinching and bending then ty down ??? any help would be great ! peace ! :skin_up:

Ive just done it to two or three of my own mate at 4 weeks in, better than burning them or depriving the rest of lumens because of them. That was a week ago and they are fine

Owd

Edited by Owderb

would only do if really needed for first 2 weeks of flower no longer as they need the energy for dem buds !!!

Nope IME it almost makes no difference when you do it. the only difference it makes to the buds is the direction of the light because apart from a crushed stem then as far as I can see the vascular transport route should (as long as you don't over do it) stay the same..:yep:

Edited by madgiz

My friend swears by super cropping and does it all the time with his grows. I had a variety of 15 different strains and a super skunk was too tall so he super cropped it and that plant went from looking lush to looking a mess and full of dead leaves.

Possibly this was for two reasons one being it was during mid flowering and two being that possibly the stem was damaged to badly so take care if u are doing this as I'm not sure if I'm convinced. I'd much rather just top them just before flowering to get a nice even canopy.

To be fair my mates always look bloody good where he super crops and I understand the theory and practice but maybe just hot it too hard a d too late so maybe again one day. Do like the giant knuckle that forms and the sideways bud that looks extra big.

Edited by Owderb

Guest roached

To be fair my mates always look bloody good where he super crops and I understand the theory and practice but maybe just hot it too hard a d too late so maybe again one day. Do like the giant knuckle that forms and the sideways bud that looks extra big.

Yep, there's definitely a balance, dependant on strain,plant health and time into flowering imo.

I'm addicted to it and, generally prefer the quite brutal full on snap,twist, tuck under an adjoining node end of the spectrumn of s/cropping. Anything less invasive, they're upright in hours, totally countering the effect i'm aiming for.

With this degree of "mutilation" however,whilst the buds on said snapped limb continue to develop; any less than 10 days veg, leaves the snapped limb only partially healed.

ie-slight browning, with a bit too much "give" around the wound.

Always thought if this was a human injury, you'd be inclined to go back for a deep surgical clean, following the lion's share of the healing if you like.

I'm utterly convinced that these semi-open wounds have instigated bud rot on two occasions. In my v limited understanding of botrytus (sp) i gather these kind of weak spots on stems,are ideal breeding ground for the spores, as well as being a "holding place", for them to lie dormant, until the conditions within the buds become right for them to replicate.

With this in mind, i carry out the more brutal croppin at least 10 days prior to flickin to 12/12.

If it's necessary into flowering, due to tops that are bolting, i just adopt a much softer approach, more in line with Owderb's approach outlined here, to no ill effect.

Anyway,as ever, all comes down to knowing how yr specific clone will respond and, reading the plants i reckons