Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Larry Badgeley

PPFD App

Hi All

Has anyone used a PPFD app for your phone. I saw one in the App store for 99p. Thinking of getting it. 

I've never seen any phone with a built in quantum sensor, so I would be highly dubious about the accuracy of any app.  Unless it's an app used to read from an external quantum sensor :) 

My guess is that it would only measure brightness and then wing that into some field that it tells you are in PAR.  Just imo, but personally no I wouldn't use it, if I'm reading a measurement, I like it to be accurate.

Well open and up for for criticism from anyone who knows better tho.

2 people like this

ive tried these, they are crap to be honest.

it will give a reading, then you move the phone an inch further away and it halfs the reading, as an example. they arent anything like accurate.

maybe i was unlucky or my phone had a fault or something, but i wouldnt waste my time on one

they are about as accurate as weather forecasting, blindfold.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, unity said:

I've never seen any phone with a built in quantum sensor, so I would be highly dubious about the accuracy of any app.  Unless it's an app used to read from an external quantum sensor :) 

My guess is that it would only measure brightness and then wing that into some field that it tells you are in PAR.  Just imo, but personally no I wouldn't use it, if I'm reading a measurement, I like it to be accurate.

Well open and up for for criticism from anyone who knows better tho.

100% they will most likely be useless.. Lets test it though.

@Larry Badgeley Ping craig an email craig@diyleduk.com and i will put the app side by side with a quantum sensor.

9 people like this

I know some of the samsung phones have a built in meter but wouldn't like to say if they have any kinda accuracy like lol

*#0*# on the keypad to take you into the hidden menu then hit the sensor tab 

Weirdly my old s8 has it but my s10 don't :g:

Posted (edited)

I don't think they are too accurate but they aren't useless, good enough for giving you a rough idea of what's going on anyway. Main problem is you can't take a proper par reading so you use standard assumptions that are similar-ish.

Obviously there is no chance everyones phone sensor is calibrated the same, but it would be nice to see how it compares to the real McCoy though. A few side by sides at various heights under an attis or something, would be interesting to see how the 3k led setting on the app compares when the lights actual spectrum is used.

How different would the scope v2 colour be to an attis? 

I was using 'lux light meter' app then using the calculator on the waveform lighting website to roughly convert it.

Now using 'tent buddy', ignore the vpd part of the app, the par tab basically does it all on one page, just make sure you set your display so it doesn't go off.

Just once flowering starts I forget to check again with all the excitement going on... so still keep over doing it with these lights lol

Edited by Greenls