6 replies to this topic

#1 J4mie

J4mie

Professor Green

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2827 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

any one know how to make a home made Ozone Generator???

"You Can Only Get Smarter By Playing A Smarter Opponent."
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

CLICK HERE FOR A UK420 DESKTOP WALLPAPER

#2 Suptra

Suptra

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

"
It's very easy to make ozone, since it is done by applying Ultra Violet energy or electrical discharge energy to either pure oxygen, or more commonly just plain air. The energy of the UV or arc causes the two atoms of a molecule of oxygen to separate, and some recombine temporarily in an unstable three atom molecule of ozone. The third oxygen atom is quickly donated to anything in the vicinity and oxidises it in the process. Ozone must be made on demand since it cannot easily be stored.
"

http://www.emanator....clive/ozone.htm

#3 Suptra

Suptra

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

seems that all you need is a (safe low current) source of 5000 volts.

If you are familiar with high voltage electronics then I would think it is very possible to construct a device.

There may be saftey issues and risks involved that you need to make yourself aware of.
The most important is a safe voltage source.
Then there is risk of fire.
Also arcing from the low-current HV can provide a pathway of conduction for high-current low voltage (240v mains) that could kill.

I don't know how much commercial ozone generators cost but it may be cheaper (in terms of money and time) just to buy one than commence with the experimentation and study required to build a half decent reliable unit oneself.

Then again it may be possible just to hack something together using an old bug zapper and a fan :wassnnme:

#4 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

easy enough to make if you can find something to kick out that high voltage,neon signs have the right type of transformer.

the 'plates' seem to wear out fairly quickly though,even on commercial machines the efficiency seems to drop off quite appreciably over a few months.

if you make your own bear this in mind and make the element part of the machine easily replaceable.
i have a shop bought machine that uses a small cartridge that needs changing every so often,i also have a uvonair with a big non-replaceable element that is almost useless after a couple of years use.
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#5 cheesehunter

cheesehunter

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

just walk into you grow room and do a great big fart. :rofl:

#6 Heavy Horse

Heavy Horse

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

I wont post the link cos it's E Fence...but the description is so beautiful that I want one :rofl:

Mini Auto Car Fresh Air Purifier / Oxygen Bar

* 100% BRAND NEW & NEVER USED
* This product produces the ozone and anoin can rapidly eliminate the car inside soot, peculiar smell, and have force sterilization, the purification air, make your car as like bathes in the forest
* The anoin is called "in the air of Vitamin", is beneficial to the human's health
* Has the best medicine function, and can effectively reduces the cough, sneezes, asthma's incidence of a disease

* Application :
o Suitable in all 12V car power
o Direct insertion the portfire, the blue lamp bright denote enter the work estage.
o This product is plug and play

* Technical specification
o Working voltage :+12v
o Ozone density:3mg/h
o Anoin density:>=60 million/CM3
o Operating current :<60MA

* As the manufacturer always varies their production quantity, the color of this item you see in the photo may not be the same color you receive

It really amuses me ;) sorry I'll get me coat :rofl:

Edit to add.. j4mie, try bigclive.com...he's got some good ideas, but be very, very careful. I found it best to stick mesh to glass plates with rapid epoxy, not hot melt glue.

But seriously, if you're not sure what you're doing...DON'T :ninja:

Edited by Heavy Horse, 15 January 2007 - 04:59 PM.

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle, Parts of Animals
Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)

#7 quickjosh

quickjosh

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

i built one a while back, it was based around the HT transformer out of one of those "plasma ball" things (the glass ball with arcs coming out of the centre) . it was dead simple , i just wraped a strand of cat 5 cable (but i gues any *low voltage* insultated wire should do) around a 6 inch lengh of coat hanger. then both ends of the cat 5 were atached to the high voltage output from the transformer, and the coat hanger was grounded. when switched on, a conitous coil of tiny arcs forms between the cat 5 and the coat hanger, this produces the ozone. i didnt do any testing for quantities or eficiency but you could smell the ozone very quickly. the good thing is although the transformer produces a high voltage its curent limited very low , so it just hurts when you touch it and doesnt kill you...which is good.
josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users