• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bullockmush

Bullockmush

Nicely Toasted

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:45 PM

Have been storing all of my bud in jars already ground up, as it takes up a lot less space. Anyone have any ideas on whether this is detrimental to the quality? It's been in there for a few months now, and the smoke still seems to be improving.

BM

#2 Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu

Gettabittashatta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

I'd be interested if anyone does have a definitive answer, but here's my guess, for what its worth: I reckon nine times out of ten its going to mean it dries more quickly, but if its sealed in an airtight container, it should mean it cures slightly quicker, for the same reason. That being that because the plant material is smaller, more of it will be exposed to the air, whether that air has a chance to circulate or not. I'm sure there are a few people here with a more solid grasp of physics.

#3 Bullockmush

Bullockmush

Nicely Toasted

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:01 PM

That's what I was thinking. It was already fully dried, and had been curing for a few weeks before I ground it.

BM

#4 _nigfis_

_nigfis_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

Does Grinding Damage The Weed?

Well I wouldn't put my willy in one and twist it. :yinyang:

( I can't believe I even thought of that...:guitar: .. my toes are all curled up now. :smoke:)

#5 Bullockmush

Bullockmush

Nicely Toasted

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:12 PM

Well I wouldn't put my willy in one and twist it. :yinyang:

( I can't believe I even thought of that...:guitar: .. my toes are all curled up now. :()

View Post

:smoke:

Just got this picture of you face all screwed up trying it now.

Lucky you bought the party size eh mate :)

BM

#6 Boojum

Boojum

Drinky Crow

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56221 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

On first consideration I'd say it would only 'damage' the weed (ie do it harm in addition to just grinding it up) while the weed is damp, cos the way I see it at least, damage in plants is generally shown by bruising, same as in animals - and I think bruising is the rupturing of cell walls so the contents of the cells spill, or rupturing of vessels witin the tissue with the same result, as I think bruising in both plants and animals is actually discolouration due to the build up of fluid under the skin. If you bruise plant matter too much, I think that causes (or encourages) rot, so that would be my main concern with grinding fresh bud (and also yeah, it would dry faster due to the increase in surfce area), but once it's dry I don't really see how grinding would damage it, as I think curing goes on at a cellular/molecular level, so surface area possibly doesn't come into it (don't quote me on that last bit, though, I don't know anything about the chemistry of curing).

Dunno, pure speculation, but I'd hazard a guess that if grinding does damage the herb, it would only do so if you do it while the herb's still damp.

Caution.
Do not rattle cage.
This animal may bite.

YNWA

#7 EnigmaticOne

EnigmaticOne

Nicely cured.

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14679 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

I doubt if it actually damages the weed....but I love the smell and taste of a freshly ground bud....can't beat it. :yinyang:

EO
Confucius said,
"Do not be concerned about others not appreciating you. Be concerned about your not appreciating others."

He also said:
"He who expects nothing is seldom disappointed"

#8 The_Embalmer

The_Embalmer

Ich Will

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:16 PM

After a long, sometimes traumatic, growing period. Treat your herb as you would a fine wine. Let it rest and mature. Lot has been said on this issue. Trust me, it i's worth the wait. I did some 'early' the other night, and it was great, Did some '4 month's cured' and it was f#cking awesome! I did the 'early' using a grinder and it deff. had a green taste and not the depth associated with properly cured bud. Temptation has big greedy hands! Once you blow the bag on the leaves, then you release all them chems when grinding. Let that chemical reaction occur naturally during curing. Turn them CBD's into THC's
ACE Nepalese Jamaican and Orient Express
Sagarmatha's Matanuska Tundra

It's easy to make difficult tasks appear difficult, but much harder to make difficult tasks appear easy.
The Embalmer.

#9 bigbill

bigbill

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:43 AM

words of wisdom :band:

#10 Wylde1

Wylde1

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:36 AM

well i think grinding wud rip the resin glands open and the air wud degrade the thc faster

#11 Canna-Bliss

Canna-Bliss

isnt it good to be lost in the wood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3858 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:03 PM

. Turn them CBD's into THC's

View Post

i dont think that is gonna happen... like alot of that stuff.. its an iriversable change
(wont go back) like when you fry an egg, their is no way it will go back to being like it was b4 u craked it in the pan, (unless you ad a magic reversor thingy :yinyang: )
... bit'o science now :yinyang:
the smoke will impruve in taste... correct.. this down to the chlorophil degrading away... this is why quick dried stuff tastes ;).. the chlorophil dosnet have time to degrade so it just makes your smoke harsh and unplesant.

so s far as i know it has nothing to do with making yor weed getting more THC
if anything it will degrade... but as a result a plesant smoke

peace

Edited by {[(cannabliss)]}, 31 October 2004 - 01:04 PM.

#12 The_Embalmer

The_Embalmer

Ich Will

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:48 PM

Bit of science now.. Try a bit of chemistry. Degradation, as you mentioned, is a chemical reaction between the present molecules interacting due to natural or enforced conditions ie- humidity, heat. this will trigger different molecular reactions. Chlorophyll only affects the taste of your produce initially but (in 'degradation') assists the process of turning CBD into THC. That's why your produce is so much stronger after curing for a few weeks. THC 'degrades' under UV light, it is photosensitive, another chemical reaction. Ever used a 35mm film camera? That's another chemical reaction. You're fried egg will not revert to it's original state, but give it time and it will certainly change into something very different given the right conditions. QED.

It's easy to make difficult tasks appear difficult, but much harder to make difficult tasks appear easy.
The Embalmer.

#13 Bish

Bish

Extra Special Bud

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26618 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:49 PM

assists the process of turning CBD into THC.

CBD/CBN is due to THC degradation - It cannot (afaik) be reversed, as cannabliss has posted.

#14 The_Embalmer

The_Embalmer

Ich Will

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

Quite right Bish. I stand corrected, Got hold of the wrong end of the stick on that one. BTW, JH is rather good. Didn't like the fried egg analogy though. FREE THE GAY WHALE EGGS!

The Embalmer.

#15 Canna-Bliss

Canna-Bliss

isnt it good to be lost in the wood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3858 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:15 PM

Quite right Bish. I stand corrected, Got hold of the wrong end of the stick on that one. BTW, JH is rather good. Didn't like the fried egg analogy though. FREE THE GAY WHALE EGGS!

View Post

:stoned: first thing that came 2 mind as i was eating scrambled eggs on fried bread :naughty:

Edited by {[(cannabliss)]}, 31 October 2004 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users