• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tdogg01

tdogg01

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

hi all, i am planning to change my current grow from a normal soil grow, to a SOG setup

on this basis i was wondering if, for these flowering clones, a 300w cfl would yeild better than a 250w cfl(based on the wattage) however i know hps is better for flowering...

any help and advice would be much appreciated, i am semi new to this and not that knowledgeable on the lighting side...

thanks growers!

#2 callum1889

callum1889

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

i take it you meant better than the 250 hps, not cfl.

i can imagine it would do, but i'm not a pro and you would have to look into something about the light spectrums or something like that :)

#3 tdogg01

tdogg01

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

yes my bad

as corrected abouve i would like to know if a 300w cfl would yeild better than a 250w HPS

cheers bro

#4 ~nobody~

~nobody~

Searching...

• Team UK420
  • 8424 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

I very much doubt it.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite

It's a sad and beautiful world

Nobody's Home - Perpetual grow

Smile - my first soil grow

Do you really need a Carbon Filter?

Ugorg Blues test grow

#5 B-high

B-high

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1956 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

I very much doubt it.

Totally agree CFL's just don't give off the same power as HPS
I don't believe in ghosts and I don't believe aliens abduct people.

#6 Doomah

Doomah

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

You can get respectable yields from CFLs. From my experience I know 200W of CFLs can easily produce 1-3oz dry. You should be able to out-do that considerably with an HPS and good growing conditions though.

In answer to your question- I'd go for the HPS. The 50W extra on the CFL I doubt is worth much in the grand scheme of things. Check the lumen outputs of both types and then bear in mind that HPS covers a much more easily available spectrum in terms of photosynthesis.

Edited by Doomah, 01 May 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#7 tdogg01

tdogg01

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

ok im sold,im going to go for hps..

how many plants do you recon i can get flowering under there at any one time? bearing in mind they are going to be flowering straight from cuttings

cheers

#8 farmer boy

farmer boy

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7424 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

hps! (or mh) would do better

peace out farmer boy
get a bigger hammer!

#9 erbivore9

erbivore9

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

ok im sold,im going to go for hps..

how many plants do you recon i can get flowering under there at any one time? bearing in mind they are going to be flowering straight from cuttings

cheers

Anything more than four can get a bit cramped if you go for 6 litre pots, you could do many more if you used small pots, the yeild will be similar but less veg time is required.

#10 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Fluorescent is only for if you're stuck with very cramped conditions - and even then I would go for a 150 watt HPS ...

I can see the point of using fluorescent light over a large area for very young plants, maybe the 125 watt ones are more effective than non-optimally oriented low wattage CFLs, but can see no point at all in a fragile fluorescent light the size of a Party Seven that costs half as much as an HPS.

In the light of the 200 x 1 watt LED grow currently on the board, and the photos people have posted of their grows around 25 days, I'm revising my views about the tipping point when an HPS really starts wiping the floor with the opposition, but I will be sticking with 2 weeks / first repotting. (half a dozen household CFLs is my preferred option before that.)

LED isn't a remotely serious suggestion by the way.

I grow two trained plants under each of my 250s.

Edited by compostverte, 02 May 2011 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users