21 replies to this topic

#1 -G-

-G-

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:11 AM

Hi folks

I bought browndirtwarriors master grow guide (if you havn't heard of him, youtube, now!) in which he advises to use plastic refuse sacks (bin liners pretty much) placed in holes in the ground (he stabs them with a garden fork for drainage btw). He says this causes 'forcing' where the plants become root bound and go into flower earlier and more vigorously.

I also got a PM reply from Stanky a while back about growing in Scotland, he says planting in pots sunk in the ground with a hole in the bottom will speed up flowering by a week or two.

Has anyone here noticed this before? Sounds like it could be useful this far north!

-G-

Edited by -G-, 27 February 2011 - 02:12 AM.

#2 whats_luring

whats_luring

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2095 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Mine did not go into early flowering and i had them rootbound in a 12ltr pot for 3-4 months...

#3 treeofsatta

treeofsatta

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1754 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

did u do a test between ones with unlimited root growth and ones in pots??

Best testing is done with clones really! But difficult for us guerillas to pull of!
best quote I read on here

EggBanjo - "made me laugh how quickly people started sniffing round her . She could have a face like a bosted arsehole for all anyone knows."

I likes ganja

#4 eastern promises

eastern promises

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

only way to force early flowering what i know is to cover the plant with complete darkness for 12 hours and then uncover for another 12 of light every day,pain :headpain:

#5 _gaura_

_gaura_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

its possible when done under supervision but is just as likely to stress the plant and hermy it if condition are harsh and you cant water etc
its all a gamble at the end of the day

#6 kgb

kgb

im a secret lemonade drinker

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2751 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

lol..it works with peppers though!!
mistakes are part of the learning process!http://kgbeans.co.uk/

#7 -G-

-G-

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

did u do a test between ones with unlimited root growth and ones in pots??

Best testing is done with clones really! But difficult for us guerillas to pull of!

Yea thats probably the best way to test this theory, has anyone compared potted plants to ones in the ground?

I did e-mail browndirt about it, he said "yes, do the forcing mate and get my seeds!" :rolleyes:

#8 JGP

JGP

Full Flower

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

For this to work you'll need to find the right strain, I would consider NextGens bonkers as i remember indicaDerek mentioning in his diary that bonkers started flowering when they became potbound.

#9 -G-

-G-

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Just giving this thread one last bump incase someone has an answer.

I think this year I'm going to try this method, 50 litre bags in the ground

#10 _Nunsacred_

_Nunsacred_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Look if you just choose the right strains
there's no need to mess about, they will flower early enough under optimal conditions.

I didn't restrict any roofs last year and got several semi-auto phenos.

#11 herbivore

herbivore

Hemisphere of Haze..

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

Surely if this does work sometimes it's because the plant is stressing because it knows it can't finish in it's normal time so it flowers...

Wouldn't you just be inviting the plant to hermie with the stress?
Kandy Kush, White Widow, Pineapple Express, Exile, Vanilla Kush, Sourcream, Sharksbreath, Blueberry Gum.

The only thing addictive about Cannabis is growing it....

If we are considered a Christian Nation then why do laws exist that punish a person for the cultivating and harvesting of God's creations.....

#12 -G-

-G-

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Look if you just choose the right strains
there's no need to mess about, they will flower early enough under optimal conditions.

I didn't restrict any roofs last year and got several semi-auto phenos.

No messing about here mate, I'v got the right strains, but this far north it's still a struggle to get plants to finish on time. Flowering up here starts late August to early September. I'm just trying to confirm what I've heard is true or not, that's all ;)

Surely if this does work sometimes it's because the plant is stressing because it knows it can't finish in it's normal time so it flowers...

Who knows, but that's pretty much saying potted plants will be more prone to turning hermie?

#13 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4033 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Last year my hollands hope which i had potted in my garden started to flower over a month before the ones i had outside in the ground, but that was one messed up plant.
Don't panic... It's organic

#14 herbivore

herbivore

Hemisphere of Haze..

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Who knows, but that's pretty much saying potted plants will be more prone to turning hermie?

I hear what you're saying but there is a difference....the potted plants don't flower by themselves.
We have to switch their light/dark cycle to 12/12.

If the plants flower by themselves because of root restriction then stress has caused them to do so.
I cant see any other reason.

Anyway all conjecture on my part but if you give it a go be sure to let us know how it goes because I too would like to know if there's any truth in this.
Maybe try it on one or two plants and see how things compare?

Good luck bud...
Kandy Kush, White Widow, Pineapple Express, Exile, Vanilla Kush, Sourcream, Sharksbreath, Blueberry Gum.

The only thing addictive about Cannabis is growing it....

If we are considered a Christian Nation then why do laws exist that punish a person for the cultivating and harvesting of God's creations.....

#15 -G-

-G-

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thats interesting resinous palms :g:

Thanks for the response herbivore, it sounds like you might have nailed it.
I sent another e-mail to browndirt to ask him to explain it further, this is his reply:

Sure, mate, when your plants get root bound it stresses them and they flower earlier and more robustly. Do an experiment. Put some in small pots and some in big pots and see which ones finish first.

hope this helps!

peace

I'm gonna try this out for sure ;)

Edited by -G-, 15 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users