• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lemonsherbert

lemonsherbert

Germinating

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

hi, i am thinking of buying a wilma 8 pot system, but wondered if there are any of you fine people out there that can advise me if they can leak?

#2 Farmer C

Farmer C

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

hi, i am thinking of buying a wilma 8 pot system, but wondered if there are any of you fine people out there that can advise me if they can leak?

Ive got the 10 pot, which is essentially the same as the 8 pot apart from the top tray holds 10 pots.
I have found it to be a wonderful system. Much better than my old cheap NFT. Easy to maintain and certainly no leaks. There is no where it could leak from.

Would reccomend the Wilma.
"For budget reasons, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off..."

#3 Denty

Denty

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

I had wilmas for my first couple of grows..

Imho it has its bad points altho its an allround good system. Bitch for res changes tho...

The main feed pipe where the drippers attach to used to leak, i had to use silicon to seal it up.

Now i use an 8 branch manifold connected to hose pipe which is fed from a small water butt - much better although i still use the wilma bottom and top trays to hold my rockwool blocks and to collect runn off.

Id say make ur own drippers sytem either using the 8 branch manifold like i said or use one of those topspin 12 dripper things depending on how many swirls u want to grow. :ouch: lol

Im not really a fan of re-circulating systems anymore, i like aiming for zero runn off now and the swirls get new nutes everytime :stoned: :band: they love it|! :toot:

:B):

If u still decide to use wilmas prop the bottom tray up at one end a bit..u'll soon realise why.. :rofl: :B): i just used to chuck empty 2 litre mineral water bottles under there with the lids on so they dont squash... lol

Edited by Denty, 27 December 2009 - 12:52 PM.

Denty

#4 bhudika

bhudika

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

i used them for a few years and loved em, the manifold leaks arent realy a problem, its only a drip which goes falls the resivoir anyway and there isnt enough pressure for it squirt much, i just ignored mine and carried on as usual, the used coke bottle under one end is a good idea :blues: , think i would use something a tad smaller personaly though
the definition of democracy is" two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
the definition of "liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote"

#5 truthseeker10

truthseeker10

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

If u still decide to use wilmas prop the bottom tray up at one end a bit..u'll soon realise why.. rofl.gif cool.gif i just used to chuck empty 2 litre mineral water bottles under there with the lids on so they dont squash... stoned.gif

why do you do this??
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

#6 supersilversteve

supersilversteve

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

ive used wilmas since day 1 and ive not had any problems with them ok they do leak (drip) from the manifold part but i just used some ptfe tape round them, as for rezy changes i just have a spare tank which i knock up my mix then when needed just connect a hose pipe and fill it up. word of warning training is needed or dont use all the pots i.e if you got a 8 pot use 6 pots and 2 spare then you can move them around as they can get quite crowded. woudls like to know also about the bottle trick. stay safe and happy growing
If at first you don't succeed repot and start again

#7 priesthole

priesthole

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

The Wilma system is designed specificaly to be a self contained unit with no posibility of any spilage outside the system.

I have a ten that i use to great effect, res changes are simplified by plumbing into the mains.

Drain
1. Cut off the end of the solid feed pipe.
2. Attach a legnth of hose (50-75mm) with jub clip.
3. Attach inline tap.
4. Attach hose linked to waste.
(5). Add inline taps to all dripper lines.

Water can now be drained from the system by turning off the inline dripper taps and turning on the drain inline tap and res pump.

Fill

1. Measure up your Cistern Valve from a toilet.
2. Cut slot in the end of the bottom tray to fit valve.
3. Attach a hose fitted to the mains water via a tap.
4. Turn on tap to fill res.
5. Use fine adjustment on the valve to get the required level.

Now the system is set up you can completely refresh you res without the use of chocks or towels etc.

When the main pump has taken out all it can, leaving say 2% used nutes, simply fill your res with water, drain and repeat a few times.

The maths.

100% Nutes - 98% volume = 2% Nutes
2% Nutes +98% Water = 2% Nutes or (v1)
(v1) - 98% volume = 0.04% Nutes
Fill... = (v2)
(v2) - 98% volume = 0.0008% Nutes
Fill... = (v3)
(v3) - 98% volume = 0.000016% Nutes
Fill... = (v4)
(v4) = 0.00000032% Nutes

As you can see you are left with only a trace amount of origanal nutes.

The only problem I see is that you can not let your water stand for 24-48 hours. However this has never caused me any problems in my water region.

Edited by priesthole, 31 January 2010 - 05:18 PM.

Saint Nicholas Owen, Father of the Priesthole.

His work often involved breaking through thick stonework; and to minimize the likelihood of betrayal he often worked at night, and always alone. The number of hiding-places he constructed will likely never be known. Due to the ingenuity of his craftsmanship, some may still be undiscovered.

#8 The Sinner

The Sinner

"STEEL FAITH"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7726 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

I used wilmas for a few years good little system the only bad point about them is pot spacing there far to close if you use every pot.I found them easy to fill and empty there was a little leak off the main feed pipe where the drippers screw in but very minimal as said earlier there's fuck all pressure so you will be fine.
[/color]The House Of Sin
"running scrog diary"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users