News with a bud

• UK420 News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42328 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:40 AM

Hi

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

March 25, 2009

A HIGH school teacher has been charged with the production and possession of cannabis.

Alan Taylor, 38, is facing an allegation that he produced four cannabis plants at his home in East Avenue, Leigh.

He is a science teacher at the town's Westleigh High. Mr Taylor, a teacher for 15 years, has been suspended.

The charges relate to a police operation at his home last August. No pleas have been entered in court.

Mr Taylor was due to appear before magistrates in Wigan but the hearing was adjourned. He attended court with Darryl Bickler of the Drug Equality Alliance, which campaigns for an overhaul of drug legislation.

Mr Taylor was released on bail and the case was adjourned until May 15.

Photo...

Bongme
UK420 Fetching News For Stoners in the UK. While Am Weedin Me Garden. it takes 3 p`s to make a good gardener, Patients practise & Perseverance.

#2 Ganja_Devotee

Ganja_Devotee

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

So now he will loose his career for what he does behind closed doors hurting nobody.
There is a very sacred plant
of many fingered hands
forbidden almost everywhere
for he who smokes it
Understands..........

I am not a criminal .. I am a religious and medicinal user of the sacred herb..

#3 farmer boy

farmer boy

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7424 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

this is out off order screwing some ones life up over a grow of 4 plants . i feal very very sorry for him :rofl: farmer boy
get a bigger hammer!

#4 druidude

druidude

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1774 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

THis is the discrimination and demonisation we face as cannabis users.

Brewing beeer at home nothing happens growing a small personal grow of a"drug" less dangerous than alcohol and we lose our livlihood and yet another person gets to hate and be distrustful of the justice system...shame on them
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Jiddu Krishnamurti

#5 *L S D*

*L S D*

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thats unbelievable! He worked there for 15 years and the old bill have pretty much fucked him for 4 plants

I really feel sorry for the guy, noone deserves shit like that for 4 plants

grrrrrr
"One Toke Over The Line,Sweet Jesus.... One Toke Over The Line...."

"One Toke?You Poor Fool!"

WE WANT OUR THUMBS!

#6 sam-i-am

sam-i-am

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Thats unbelievable! He worked there for 15 years and the old bill have pretty much fucked him for 4 plants

I really feel sorry for the guy, noone deserves shit like that for 4 plants

grrrrrr

http://www.wigantoda...rugs.5105568.jp

CHARGED: Alan Taylor
Click on thumbnail to view image

« Previous
« Previous
Next »
Next »
View Gallery
ADVERTISEMENT
Published Date: 25 March 2009
A Wigan science teacher is planning a legal challenge after being arrested for cultivating cannabis.
Alan Taylor, who has taught at Westleigh High School for 10 years, aims to question the Government's administration of the Misuse of Drugs Act through the courts.

The 38-year-old, of East Leigh Avenue, Leigh, was arrested in August when four cannabis plants were discovered at his home.

He was suspended from school on the first day of the current school year, September 2, and charged with producing and possessing cannabis two weeks ago.

Mr Taylor, whose lessons have previously received an "excellent" rating from Ofsted, was due to appear before Wigan Magistrates Court yesterday (March 24).

But, after a submission was made to the court by his solicitor, Bob Toppin, proceedings were adjourned and the case will now be put before a district judge on May 15.

Mr Taylor, who does not dispute the facts of the case and has not entered a plea, plans to argue that the Misuse of Drugs Act is used by the Government in an illegal, irrational and unfair way.

He claims that the purpose of the Act is to protect society from all harmful drugs, with policies changing and evolving as new evidence about drugs and drug use become available.

But, he claims, alcohol and tobacco are excluded because they are socially accepted by the majority, whilst drugs such as cannabis are "demonised" and the people who use them "dehumanised".

Mr Taylor said: "The consequences of this are often devastating to the lives of individuals, their families and to society, fatally undermining the credibility of any drugs education messages and leaving the young vulnerable to ignorance, mythology and predatory criminals."

Working alongside the Drug Equality Alliance, Mr Taylor hopes to stay the criminal proceedings against him by taking his case to the High Court.

Darryl Bickler, who is acting as Mr Taylor's McKenzie friend in the case, argued: "There is no evidence to suggest that what Mr Taylor is doing, growing cannabis for his own private use at home, is any more harmful to society than a heavy drinker.

"We are challenging and abuse of power relevant by the executive and an abuse of process relevant to the courts.

"There is a bias towards alcohol and tobacco and against Mr Taylor."

Mr Taylor is also planning a separate claim against the police after officers disclosed the details of his arrest to Westleigh High School and the local education authority before he was charged.

He plans to argue that doing so was not relevant to his position as a teacher as there was no suggestion that he was supplying the drug or that his activities were anything other than private.
He says his professionalism and ability to do his job has never been called into question and, as such, his arrest does not constitute grounds for disciplinary proceedings.

A spokesman for the Local Education Authority said: "As soon as the headteacher John Banks was made aware of the incident in September last year he suspended Mr Taylor primarily as a neutral act and we await the outcome of the legal process."

The full article contains 529 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

* Last Updated: 25 March 2009 8:39 AM
* Source: n/a

because, after all

a person's a person, no matter how small...        - Dr Seuss

#7 sunshine band

sunshine band

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

The press doesn't really do this story justice - he is going for it, the full monty claim of abuse of the court's process due to an executive abuse of power - full common law argument, wrongful use of the MDA and human rights claims - esp discrimination. Get behind this man - he is backing up Ed Stratton in a big way and has some credible legal challenges forming around the police disclosures as well!

#8 Ruderalisman

Ruderalisman

Ha! didnt realise I could write my own stuff here!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

I will be interested to see how this one pans out, Him being a respectable citizen and going for the right angle in court imho
good luck to him!

I have come to join the party that is life!

Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.

#9 ramblingmadman

ramblingmadman

seeker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

I really feel for this guy,
if he does go for the defence hes suggesting there , this SHOULD be a landmark case ,
the guy's teaching rated as 'excellent' by Ofsted , a 15 year career , an upstanding member of the community making hisown relief at home , not hurting anyone.
The beer brewing arguement seems totally comparable to me .
The real issue is how the powersthatbe are willing to destroy a good mans life and career and future just for growing 4 fricking plants.

I despair of this country
more p'lice , more guns,but there's no more weed.....so please-grow them trees.
"To see the priority of love and well-being breaking down silly barriers put up by foolish men."
Cognitive liberty for all

#10 chickenlipsr4

chickenlipsr4

The deeper I go, the more knowledge I know

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Respect to this man for what he is doing. I wish him well and I hope his career survives intact
Smile & Blue Satellite 2.2 X OG Kush
Celestial Temple With Noname

“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong” - Voltaire
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Nietzsche

#11 Eddiesilence

Eddiesilence

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10792 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Alan's a top fella, and he's got my fullest support. Good on ya, and the best of luck.

#12 Abe Froman

Abe Froman

Stoned Again

• Team UK420
  • 6549 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

twigs put the same story up a bit earlier.. http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=167986

reusable plant stakes
Up here for dancing , Down there for thinking.
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.
Why you need a contactor (AKPOG's lucky escape)

#13 mariposa

mariposa

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

lol :) :spliff: Terrible :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

#14 farmer boy

farmer boy

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7424 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

good on him . got my suport 100% lol farmer boy
get a bigger hammer!

#15 skunkaroma

skunkaroma

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

he came into my shop not too long ago this fella,really nice guy+really seems to know what hes doin! hope it goes well!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users