Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hitech

Yes Its Another How Do I Cool My Drobe Question :)

So as some of you may know i've delved into indoor semihydroponic (its complicated :() growing, all past experience has been outside.

I've done my homework (and well established scientifically ...), but theres a fundamental limitation in my design I was hoping to get some input on.

The grow area is 4'x3'x7' lined with black/white poly

400W MH

The problem lies in ventilation. I have an oscillating 12" fan pushing air around inside, and a 245CFM blower to exaust. My problem is that the location of my grow space does not permit for any source of fresh air intake, there is simply no where I can install ducting to bring in fresh air.

There is a window mounted fan in the room that the grow area is in, thats currently acting as my only source of fresh air (and I can't think of any possible way of ducting to a large window mounted fan, not to mention security is an issue, I would imagine having silver ducting draped across the room to the window on the other side would arouse suspicion =P).

I may have already missed a/the simple solution, but i've read through dozens of 'how do I cool' threads, but I was unable to find anything for a setup where an intake duct is simply not possible.

Any help would be appreciated, my ladies need some LOVIN!

i cooled my room down by 4c just by atatching a piece of glass to the front of my reflector (also stops the radiant heat from the bulb) then i made a hole in the top of the reflector to put my extractor pipe in :( does the job spot on

i have a 400 hps and a 250 mh with out the mh on my temps at 28-29c and with it on there at 29-30c

I guess I should have mentioned, my lamp is el naked :smoke:

I got screwed at the first (and last) hydroponics store I was at by not looking on the side of the box to ensure lamp position was universal ... unfortunately its not, its BU only (i'm sure he knew this and was trying to get rid of them .. what a dick),

Anyways, this left me with only one option for a hood, and that was parabolic, unfortunately my grow space is WAY too small to fit even the smallest parabolic hood i've been able to find. I havn't done much looking into cone hoods, but have done so because every single person i've talked to says they are absolute crap, and that a bare bulb is better.

Ya live, you learn, you dont go back to that hydroponics store again.

So, good suggestions, and I appreciate em, but they are not applicable to my setup sadly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, or need any more info that I have neglected to mention before being able to help?

I guess I should have mentioned, my lamp is el naked :idea:

I got screwed at the first (and last) hydroponics store I was at by not looking on the side of the box to ensure lamp position was universal ... unfortunately its not, its BU only (i'm sure he knew this and was trying to get rid of them .. what a dick),

Anyways, this left me with only one option for a hood, and that was parabolic, unfortunately my grow space is WAY too small to fit even the smallest parabolic hood i've been able to find. I havn't done much looking into cone hoods, but have done so because every single person i've talked to says they are absolute crap, and that a bare bulb is better.

Ya live, you learn, you dont go back to that hydroponics store again.

So, good suggestions, and I appreciate em, but they are not applicable to my setup sadly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, or need any more info that I have neglected to mention before being able to help?

Think I might try running some ducting from my exaust up 'towards the vicinity' of my lamp, perhaps that will help a bit? *puzzled*

Can't be any more ghetto then my current hood/reflectorless lighting :unsure:.

Every post I read is getting me more and more upset that I let myself get taken by my own inability to pay attention to details, and I can't justify buying a new bulb just so I have a horizontally oriented lamp (already broke the bank already setting all this up), it'd be a waste of a perfectly good BU lamp too :/.

Well hopefully you guys can give me some more suggestions, yer a crafty bunch you are.

no reflector :unsure: ide be getting one if i was you

you can potentialy double the lumens to your plants because if you have it horizontal all that light that shines at your ceiling could be going t your plants

If I have it horizontal my bulb will break/not work properly. I was sold a base up bulb (meaning the base that plugs into the socket must face up, and the bulb face down ... aka vertical), it was not universal ... and I got screwed :/.

As I said, to my knowledge there are only two types of reflectors for vertically positioned bulbs, parabolic, and cone. I can't find a parabolic reflector small enough for my grow space, and have been told by many ppl that cone reflectors are horrible, and in fact worse then bare naked bulb.

I have intentionally lowered the ceiling of my grow room for the very reason you just described. PAR watts also double as a function of distance, so i'm hoping i can put my lamp reasonably close to my ladies.

I will graciously accept any 400W MH universal bulbs (Sunmaster Warm Deluxe preference :idea: ) but as it stands, the best option for my vertical bulb is no reflector at all, it sucks, but what can I do?

Anyways, more suggestions on cooling, or other possible vertical reflectors anyone? heh

PS: Thanks for following this thread, I really do appreciate you're help, its just a shame that i'm in the situation im in

Edited by hitech