Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest FD

Fitduck's Report On

227 posts in this topic

Right chaps, this is my report on the demo today. Although I have a strong interest in activism and intend to become involved at some level, I am as yet, not affiliated to any one group right now. Therefore, this report is my own impartial writing- just wanted to say tat as I am sure there are peeps from a few organisations here. So:

I arrived at Grosvenor Square at 1.45 ish. Despite straining my eyes, I was unable to see the large crowd of placard -bearing tokers that I had hoped for and envisaged.

To be honest ,apart from the dibble I was the only fucker there lol

This is the sight I was greeted by at the park:

hope there's a pic of the sign there now ;)

please don't relpy yet cos there's more to come

cool there is

ok, so I get to Grov. Sq. and I'm the only one there and there's quite a few old bill so i don't wanna linger as thy're obviously expecting something cos they locked the place up fs. Bastards what about free speech in public. so i walk round the block - its a posh part of London - and by time I get back there's this geezer with some placards on his bike just arriving. I figured he was here for the demo, so I went over. We introduced ourselves - he was from News of the Weed and then he went over for a chat with the dibble. I was expecting possible police brutality so I took pics:

wasn't taking no chances today, cos i wouldn't put nothing past em, but these were the best pigs i ever met in my life. They were friendly, chatty, laughing and totally sound. Couldn't believe it. One of em even said 'Why'dya come today? Its a weekend and there's nobody here. They've all gone home.'

It was a good point and something I'll come back to.

here'e the embassy.:

after a bit another chap turned up and then Grandma Pat got on the scene with none other than Dubya himself:

more to follow.

Edited by fitduck

Now, Iain't been on here for that long and I missed all that Granma Pat shitfest stuff and I only got a limited knowledge of what went on. I do no that clara had something to do with it tho.

But my point is - I don't know what went on with it all exactly, it aint my business, I didn't feel it appropriate to ask her about it and I decided to judge her solely on my experiences of her.

I found her to be a very nice old lady -if you'll forgive the 'old' Pat. She seemed a very nice down to earth lady who has had some tough times in life and who is now genuinely commited to the legalisation of weed.

Some of you may disagree with this, but as the turnout for this important event was so disgustingly low - no more than a dozen peeps at any one time - all I can say is at least she got up off her arse and di something today. Jesus Christ! Poor Marc Emery. I just hope other countries showed more spirit than we did. Now I'm not trying to be righteous here guys, I know that there are many people here on this site who could not attend for various reasons - lack of funds, no car, lack of mobility due to illness, lack of knowledge due to the appaling publicising of the event or because you live at opposite ends of the country or abroad even. So please, no one take this personal.

BUT I am damn sure there are more people in our community, not just on uk420, but across the country, readers of Weed World etc, growers, smokers, activists than just the few who turned up.

I'm not kidding guys, there were times when it was depressing for me.

here's the set up outside the embassy.

nice effort fitduck :yinyang: i don't know what it is about protests and weed ? soon as the ganja leaf hits the big streets ....... people , probably keen tokers ..... seem to cross the street .........

keep up the fight man :guitar:

So turn out was low and Grandma Pat was ok.

Basically the people who turned up were from LCA, Cannabis Trust and News of The Weed, Granma Pat and forgive me if I forget anyone else.

I enjoyed meeting the people I did and I had a lot of interesting conversations with people.

The police were very good natured and watched as we handed out leaflets, chatted, took photos etc.

The demonstration was very peaceful. This was always the intention, but it could nevr have been noisy cos there were so few there.

This was because it was poorly organised. I mean no disrespect to the Cannabis Trust, and it was openly discussed amongst us today. Hardly anyone was aware of it. Plus it was on a weekend when there was no bugger there.

Some blamed the weather, but thats a crap excuse. It wasn't so nice, alternating between rain and muggy humidity, but it was hardly like Louisiana.

I don't mean to bang on about it, but if you were there - and again I don't mean that sarcy - you would have felt the same.

An estimated 6million tokers in the country and a dozen turn up to voice their opposition to America's bullying of Canada into extraditing a cannabis campaigner and seed seller.

Marc Emery has done a fuck of a lot of good and nobody cared. It was sad for me and whilst there is such appalling apathy we will never have legalisation.

The other thing that pissed me off was the bickering and infighting amongst groups - again guys I'm just saying it how it is and again it was openly discussed this afternoon, so I an't slagging or revealing no secrets. But my short involvement in activism this afternoon was interesting and insightful for me.

I agreed in the end with the LCA that what we need is UNIFIED, DIRECT ACTION.

Now please no flaming or arguing anyone, i'm just being honest about the afternoon.

It was poorly organised and badly publicised - no mainstream media at all - I was told, because of a lack of coordination and communication between all the groups involved and present. If we all joined together and were united instead of fractured and disorganised we could achieve a lot more.

Heres some more pics. And som more to follow

Here's some more pics

well one

as you can see from the photos - hardly anyone turned up.

Now iin this thread I have meant no disrespect to any one at all, the people who did go or the ones who did not.

Iam simply saying what I saw this afternoon, which was a group of dedicated people for whom I have a lot of respect.

But by peopl'e own admission it was poorly attended because no oe really knew about it.

But I still think a lot more people did know and it was just very disappointing.

After today I have respect for all campaigners present, but I do not really want to join any one of them individually.

The only group I would consider joining would be one united coalition of all groups that communicate together to coordinate effective protests that are newsworthy and have and impact. However, for any event to be successful there needs to be attendance en masse.

This is why i BEG ALL YOU GUYS, as many on this site who are able to on the day of the protests for either Bud Buddies or THC4MS, PLEASE, PLEASE SUPPORT THESE EVENTS.

Nothing will change if we don't unite and stand up and be counted.

Guys, I am not trying to preach even tho I am, or be a hero and I certainly mean no disrepsect to anyone, but seriously, today was disappointing and this is something that means a lot to me.

Lets just get together and support our fellow community members in future, cos one day any one of us might need help.

Not only that we need to be treated like adults and be left alone to grow, smoke and share.

Enuff ranting

Well observed FD.

There is a lack of information regarding events, meetings, demos.

I do not think the ethos of this site streches it's boundaries that far to publicise such events.

If one needs to make members aware of events, then the boards are available to do so.

Apathy always seems to stay at home bud. You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make a horse drink it.

Judean's People's Front or The People's Front For Judea?

Kinda says it all most times.

:yinyang: EmB.

hi fitduck

good on ya dude for getting out there and doing your bit for something you believe in.

thanks for letting us all know how the demo went.

bartman :yinyang:

Well observed FD.

There is a lack of information regarding events, meetings, demos.

I do not think the ethos of this site streches it's boundaries that far to publicise such events.

If one needs to make members aware of events, then the boards are available to do so.

Apathy always seems to stay at home bud.  You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make a horse drink it.

Judean's People's Front or The People's Front For Judea?

Kinda says it all most times.

:yinyang: EmB.

418345[/snapback]

Thanks Emb, but please guys, please support any future demos for Bud Buddies or THC4MS, cos if they're anything like today, then they will certainly not be saved by public opinion or opposition. Don't let these good people go down without a fight. Or at least voicing ya support, showing that you think the victimisation of ill people is wrong.

It is not illegal to protest or demonstrate today, BUT they are talking about banning protests. Well they won't need to if we keep this up ,but we cannot have our freedom of speech or our right to protest taken away from us and we certanily should use our democratic right to demonstrate to the police, the courts, the government, the public in order to bring awareness that there is support in the country for the right to self medicate using cannabis and also to have a fucking joint for christs sake. Its a madness law and its about time it ended.

But in the meantime we must unite and show support for BB and THC4MS.

The prohibitionists rely on us being divided and disorganised.

When we change that, they'll be fucked.

Edited by fitduck

hi fitduck

good on ya dude for getting out there and doing your bit for something you believe in.

thanks for letting us all know how the demo went.

bartman :guitar:

418352[/snapback]

cheers b

:yinyang:

I think the bad turn out has got more to do wi Emery FD :smoke: and what's this aboot GP ;) I thought she loved us :smoke::realcool:

Really chaps I don't wanna turn this into GP thread, that was my reason for stating what I did initially.

Basically, I thought she was a very nice lady, wanted to say so and didn't want peeps piping up 'oh she doesn't like us' bla bla that I have previously heard people to say.

Obviously my efforts were counterproductive :realcool:

And theres fuck all wrong with Emery, he's one of us as far as I'm concerned.

And Granma Pat is spot on for spending her pension money on getting up off her arse and supporting her fellow man.

Edited by fitduck

:bush: I'm a Emery fan so lay off ya waddle :realcool:

Good for you for going Fitduck. :smoke: I used to be involved in activism a fair bit, but eventually found that there is a lot of in-fighting and apathy, which is a shame, shame, shame. I got pissed off with it and eventually walked off at a Smokey Bear's picnic when a group of paranoid soap-heads starting getting lairy because they thought the walkman I was listening to whilst sitting on the grass was some kind of surveillance device! The whole scene really does need co-ordinating under one unity, but whose going to do it? :smoke::realcool:

Anyway, here's my own report (now archived at UKCIA) from Brockwell back in 2000, it was a good day and it really felt that the stone was rolling, it just seems to lost momentum these days. :smoke:

http://www.ukcia.org/library/pastevents/jayday2000.php

;)

Edited by 2dogs

Good for you for going Fitduck.  :smoke:  I used to be involved in activism a fair bit, but eventually found that there is a lot of in-fighting and apathy, which is a shame, shame, shame. I got pissed off with it  and eventually walked off at a Smokey Bear's picnic when a group of paranoid soap-heads starting getting lairy because they thought the walkman I was listening to whilst sitting on the grass was some kind of surveillance device! The whole scene really does need co-ordinating under one unity, but whose going to do it?  :smoke:  :realcool:

Anyway, here's my own report from Brockwell back in 2000, it was a good day and it really felt that the stone was rolling, it just seems to lost momentum these days. :smoke:

http://www.ukcia.org/library/pastevents/jayday2000.php

;)

418407[/snapback]

Nice link mate - if only - it was a ghost town today, but don't get me wrong, it is the fact that there WERE people there that matters. Good on them for turning up. I'm not slagging this event or the people who attended as I have stated a million times already, but I was very disappointed and I know better can be done if more of us make an effort.

It will be tragedy if 8-12 people show up to future events.