Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pepe16

Peat compost to be banned from 2024

134 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, speedwell68 said:

I have found a local supplier of Sylvagrow so I am going to give it a go when I have run out of peat based compost.

Cool. I mail ordered mine (lockdown 'n' shit). I paid (too much) £40 quid delivered for two 50 litre bags. Let me know how much you pay. It is possibly the best peat free commercial compost I've used so far. I'd love to source it cheaper.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

Cool. I mail ordered mine (lockdown 'n' shit). I paid (too much) £40 quid delivered for two 50 litre bags. Let me know how much you pay. It is possibly the best peat free commercial compost I've used so far. I'd love to source it cheaper.

£7.99 for 50L.

2 people like this

Just now, speedwell68 said:

£7.99 for 50L.

That's good news. Cheers!

On 18/05/2021 at 1:37 PM, pepe16 said:

I saw this today.   Looks like we're all going coco or canna, or......hydro :unsure:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/18/sales-of-peat-compost-to-gardeners-to-be-banned-from-2024

forgot "living soil"  wonder how those components might change too. e2a

Peat free living soil already exists (Google Soil for life). Growers will find decent alternatives to peat.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON GROW IN LIVING SOIL!  :thumsup:

2 hours ago, Canna Denfour20 said:

Peat free living soil already exists (Google Soil for life). Growers will find decent alternatives to peat.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON GROW IN LIVING SOIL!  :thumsup:

For anyone interested in a peat free mix that can be made with as few as just 3 ingredients that can grow plants from start to finish using just water that equals/surpasses peats growth.

After a decade of r+d and evolution of various mixes I'm happy to say I've found my answer.

large.20210925_190013_compress63.jpg

I'll post up a fresh thread because it deserves it really with all the details.

To top it off. Its ingredients are 100% made by my own fair hand from scratch 

Carbon negative medium. 

16 people like this

53 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

For anyone interested in a peat free mix that can be made with as few as just 3 ingredients that can grow plants from start to finish using just water that equals/surpasses peats growth.

After a decade of r+d and evolution of various mixes I'm happy to say I've found my answer.

large.20210925_190013_compress63.jpg

I'll post up a fresh thread because it deserves it really with all the details.

To top it off. Its ingredients are 100% made by my own fair hand from scratch 

Carbon negative medium. 

Yes, please! I believe there are a lot of people interested and looking for an answers to replace peat in living soil. New thread would be amazing and more important we will run ahead of 2024 ban.

Thank you @blackpoolbouncer

I've got 5L of SHOGUN Terra Grow and Bloom left to use once that's done I'm switching to 100% coco as the Tropic Mix is 40% of the way there, I now have a bluelab truncheon for better EC management so I'm almost "converted".

Good thread there's some great info in here, I used the B and Q multipurpose peat free outdoors in fabric pots with some potatoes - It was very fibrous and clumpy, required a lot of work in the barrows to break up and I amended with charge for good measure I wasn't sure what I was going to get out of it, it looked really poor quality like packed out with long mown grass but the first earlies came out really well - the compost looked like it needed some time to work down more as when I took the spuds out it was much better and smelled divine, really sweet and a bit like bananas - I put the compost bag in the pots under cover and I'll start my radishes and carrots in it next year.

1 person likes this

A bit late to this news! I totally get the decision but i do like my biobizz lite. 
It will be great when we start seeing side by side comparisons of peat-based and alternatives so it stops feeling so much like the blind leading the blind in search fpr something new

1 person likes this

Peat free living soil.... 

isn't that just the ground lol

Guess the GG community are ahead of the curve.

Edited by MindSoup
2 people like this

In coco have you gotta ec and ph all the time ??

@Wakko78

Not really, once you know what a ml/l of feed gives you you can easily figure out the EC, and with PH once you know how much to add per litre, you just add that amount forever.  So for example 1ml/l of canna or GT alpha coco = 0.45ec, so I feed ~1.5ml to little plants, and max out at ~3ml/l on big ones in flower. And I add ~0.07ml/l of ph down throughout. Coco also buffers PH to some extent, just not as well as compost/soil blends.

I have an ec meter and I only ever use it to check the run off periodically, or if growth is slower or less green than it should be, or when trying a new nutrient to get the ml/l ec value. Haven't checked the PH for months (my tapwater is pretty consistent, if yours isn't you might want to check more often).

Edited by uBercaMeL
2 people like this

3 minutes ago, uBercaMeL said:

@Wakko78

Not really, once you know what a ml/l of feed gives you you can easily figure out the EC, and with PH once you know how much to add per litre, you just add that amount forever.  So for example 1ml/l of canna or GT alpha coco = 0.45ec, so I feed ~1.5ml to little plants, and max out at ~3ml/l on big ones in flower. And I add ~0.07ml/l of ph down throughout. Coco also buffers PH to some extent, just not as well as compost/soil blends.

I have an ec meter and I only ever use it to check the run off periodically, or if growth is slower or less green than it should be, or when trying a new nutrient to get the ml/l ec value. Haven't checked the PH for months (my tapwater is pretty consistent, if yours isn't you might want to check more often).

Cheers for that pal , sounds pretty straight forward probably will go with coco after this ban :lookaround:

I'm thinking I might as well figure out coco or something now - on my first grow and using compost, might as well jump ship before I get too comfy lol

2 people like this

I’ve asked Santa for a blue lab truncheon. Gonna try a plant in coco after the shitmas harvest n see how we go 

2 people like this