Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ComfortablyDumb

Root development, all around edge of pots

20 posts in this topic

@ComfortablyDumb I checked the small pots today, I was able to easily remove them by pushing the bottom of the pot to pop them out, few pics for you - these rooted out quite quickly (14 days) please excuse the blur, smudgy camera lens.

They're now in 0.5L pots

large.5fbd0a48b94b5_24112020PotUpRoots1.jpglarge.5fbd0a499dcbc_24112020PotUpRoots2.jpglarge.5fbd0a4a9c911_24112020PotUpRoots3.jpg

7 people like this

21 hours ago, Exhale said:

@ComfortablyDumb I checked the small pots today, I was able to easily remove them by pushing the bottom of the pot to pop them out, few pics for you - these rooted out quite quickly (14 days) please excuse the blur, smudgy camera lens.

They're now in 0.5L pots

Hats off to you mate, those roots are stella !!

Been going through your many well informed diaries. One thing I can't establish is your watering technique..

Do you gradually build up the watering in those pots, or are they on wet/dry from the off ?

Cheers,

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, ComfortablyDumb said:

Do you gradually build up the watering in those pots, or are they on wet/dry from the off ?

I water about 30% of the pots total volume to make the potting mix nicely damp and moist and then let them go light before feeding them (I don't let them dry out just become considerably lighter), once they've rooted out I give them a bit more water for run off to stop salt build up.

2 people like this

On 18/11/2020 at 3:20 PM, Exhale said:

roots will spread out laterally, being contained they'll redirect themselves which is usually down, then when they hit the bottom they'll start spiralling

large.20200212_124147_copy_1209x1121.jpglarge.20200212_124102_copy_1209x1343.jpglarge.20200211_150117_copy_1378x1378.jpg

If you're missing root mass in the middle though it sounds like you've gone in to too large a pot too quickly, I make sure to build a decent root mass and then pot in to something around twice as big.

Some people are tempted to pot on early with a poorly developed root mass when they notice the plant slowing down but i'll usually introduce some feed and make sure I can squeeze the pot/rootball without the spongey give you get from soil occupying the space it should be firm and should have no problems being removed from the pot.

Does everything you point a camera with come out spectacular? lol

2 people like this

23 hours ago, Exhale said:

I water about 30% of the pots total volume to make the potting mix nicely damp and moist and then let them go light before feeding them (I don't let them dry out just become considerably lighter), once they've rooted out I give them a bit more water for run off to stop salt build up.

Cheers m8, that's what I've been doing of late..

Though 30% watering does give me some drip from the bottom, I'm sure letting them dry out much more at this stage doesn't help

:smokin: