Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

btk1977

Getting a grow back on for first time in 4-5 years!

64 posts in this topic

Very excited to have started back up again after a 4-5year hiatus. I had to stop due to a load of family drama that made it too risky, but time is right, especially now we're going back into lockdown.

I've gone for autos as could do with having some smoke ready for xmas, not going to make the same mistake I did with my first auto grow (mainly did photos) where I potted up and had a crap yield! I've germinated in damp kitchen towel and gone straight into 6l pots with canna terra pro soil. I've gone for mainly sweet seeds cream caramel which i grew before and enjoyed the taste/smell/effect and and couple of sweet seeds fast buds as I am cutting it fine for a pre xmas crop. Using yellow bottle roots for now (still had some left over, hoping its still effective) but haven't decided yet what I will be using for nutes. Need to do some more research as everything seems to have changed a bit in 5 years (stopped coming on forum and checking out grow shop websites as it was too depressing when I couldn't grow).

They're under 250w MH bulb at the moment and will switch to 600w hps in about a weeks time. Is it worth going for a MH 600w until they start to flower if I can get the bulb or should I just stick with the sodium bulb I have? Thinking of then switching to the 1000w hps ballast/bulb I have for the last few weeks of the grow (trying to keep the leccy bill down).

Anyway thought I would start a thread and will try and keep a track of how its going. My knowledge is a bit rusty these days (amazing how much you can forget in 5yrs!) but its coming back slowly but surely, sure this forum will be as useful as it used to be.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, btk1977 said:

Very excited to have started back up again after a 4-5year hiatus. I had to stop due to a load of family drama that made it too risky, but time is right, especially now we're going back into lockdown.

I've gone for autos as could do with having some smoke ready for xmas, not going to make the same mistake I did with my first auto grow (mainly did photos) where I potted up and had a crap yield! I've germinated in damp kitchen towel and gone straight into 6l pots with canna terra pro soil. I've gone for mainly sweet seeds cream caramel which i grew before and enjoyed the taste/smell/effect and and couple of sweet seeds fast buds as I am cutting it fine for a pre xmas crop. Using yellow bottle roots for now (still had some left over, hoping its still effective) but haven't decided yet what I will be using for nutes. Need to do some more research as everything seems to have changed a bit in 5 years (stopped coming on forum and checking out grow shop websites as it was too depressing when I couldn't grow).

They're under 250w MH bulb at the moment and will switch to 600w hps in about a weeks time. Is it worth going for a MH 600w until they start to flower if I can get the bulb or should I just stick with the sodium bulb I have? Thinking of then switching to the 1000w hps ballast/bulb I have for the last few weeks of the grow (trying to keep the leccy bill down).

Anyway thought I would start a thread and will try and keep a track of how its going. My knowledge is a bit rusty these days (amazing how much you can forget in 5yrs!) but its coming back slowly but surely, sure this forum will be as useful as it used to be.

Welcome back to the world of self sufficiency ! Have a look at our site sponsor's. Intense Nutrients. Many growers are using these. You can buy them at our other site Sponsor One Tree Horticulture.  

2 people like this

Following this one. Good luck! 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Welcome back to the world of self sufficiency ! Have a look at our site sponsor's. Intense Nutrients. Many growers are using these. You can buy them at our other site Sponsor One Tree Horticulture.  

Will check them out, really do feel out of the loop but looking forwards to jumping back in feet first!

Here they are, the ones with the white tags are Fast Bud, the others Cream Caramel. I started the seeds 7 days ago in moist kitchen towel and transferred the seedlings into the pots about 4 days ago. Only one of them (the Fast Bud on the far right) didn't transfer very well, think I did a bit of damage when placing in the compost, but she's looking a lot happier than she was yesterday so hoping all 10 of them will live.

large.20201108_154620_edited.jpeg

They are currently being watered with H&G roots excelurator and tap water, plan to start adding some cal mag to the mix when they have 3 or 4 nodes. Have very soft water here and have had issues with cal/mag deficiencies on previous grows so plan to use it preventatively rather than wait for issues to show.

Here is a view with the reflector I am currently using, have just gone with the set up that was already in place in the tent (I didn't pack anything down after my last grow, so just gave it all a thorough clean with dilute bleach. Its no where near as white as it used to be and I'm slightly concerned its not doing a great job of reflecting, despite the fact that I like how well this big one spreads the light when the girls are still very small. I have a metal/mirror like reflector that I think I will swap this for in the next day or two and see what difference it makes. Also thinking of spraying it with radiator white spray paint to get a bit more life out of it even if just for a future grow.

The current lighting is a 150w metal halide (don't know why but thought that ballast and bulb were 250w but was mistaken). Plan to change over to my 400w ballast and bulb fairly soon.

Extraction wise I am using a 6inch high powered ruck fan with the SMSCom 4.5amp twin fan controller with the probe placed at base of central plant (not visible in this photo as had removed it when watering), the visible probe below is for my thermometer, keeping track of soil temp as well as air temp. 

large.5fa815eb57873_20201108_154711_edited(1).jpeg

Some close up shots below. I've been top dressing the pots with compost (using canna terra pro, was always my go to but will look into what other options and new developments there are for the next grow) as I hadn't planted the germinated seedlings deep enough. I am currently keeping top of the pots clear so I can keep track of watering needs as the girls are still way too small imo for drenching the whole pots. Once they are a bit more established I will top dress with clay pebbles as at that point I use the weight of the pots to evaluate need for watering.

large.20201108_154633_edited.jpeglarge.20201108_154637_edited.jpeglarge.20201108_154628_edited.jpeg

Fingers crossed for a smooth grow and will try and do an update once or twice a week showing progress. They sadly won't be ready for xmas but should be good for the new year.

2 people like this

First spanner in the work tonight, got back home to find the lights hadn't gone back on this morning because of a faulty contacter. I've gone into more detail in this thread: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/413486-lights-disaster-what-should-i-do-with-my-timings-now/

Will hopefully get some advise before I go to bed as really not sure what the best bet is to do with light timings now that this happens, would suck to end up with hermies on my first post hiatus grow!

Other than that they are looking happy, will post some photos later on.

1 person likes this

Another reason for me opting 24/0, too worried about the lights starting up again. Hope you get sorted soon mate 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, superfruit said:

Another reason for me opting 24/0, too worried about the lights starting up again. Hope you get sorted soon mate 

Yep I wish I had now!

Day 7 (from germination):

As of today I am feeding them H&G roots excelurator (3ml / 10l of tap water) and have just started adding Agricultural Organics (the yellow bottles) Cal Mag at a reduced rate of 6ml/10l of tap water, will go up to the full rate of 10ml/10l in a weeks time and the plan is to keep that going until the week before harvest. 

Haven't decided on which veg feed to go for yet. I used to use Canna Terra Vega, but the last couple of grows I used Chempak high nitrogen feed (25-15-15 plus boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, & zinc as trace elements) instead of cannabis specific one and the girls seemed to like it. Bit tight on funds at the moment so will probably go with the Chempak as have an unopened box of it (it comes in a powdered form that you dissolve in water), but if I get paid on time for once this week I might order the Intense Nutrients Dirt Grow.

Other than that I have added the 400w HPS alongside the 150w MH under the parabolic reflector. Going to bring down my other reflector tonight and take the parabolic out of the tent and spray it with rad paint so its white again (currently looks like the ceiling in a room that's had a 40/day fag smoker sat in the room all day every day) and then make a decision on which reflector I go with. Think will probably reinstate the parabolic tomorrow when the paint has had a chance to cure as it will work better with the two bulbs. Would then switch back to the metal reflector when I switch to the solo 600w HPS.

Have gone back to leaving the lights on 24h/day rather than risk any more problems with the contacter. Will go to 20/4 or 18/6 when the 600w goes in as that light has an all in one ballast/contacter/timer.

Much happier with the temps since the extra light has gone in, its staying between 26-28 degree C, the SMSCom controller does a good job of maintaining temps.

My only other job is to suspend the fan (its in the loft with ducting running out of tent, through the ceiling, joins fan in the loft and then the air is return to the bathroom on the other side of the house, hopefully keeping the incoming air fresh) of some bungee straps to reduce noise.

large.5fac5663eb3bb_allplants.jpglarge.5fac5662d93f2_oseup2.jpglarge.5fac5661d7993_closeup1.jpg 

3 people like this

Looking spot on mate!

1 person likes this

Thanks, getting itchy fingers and want to be doing things with them, but know they just need to be left to do their own for a bit longer. Really have missed growing, I've done a lot of legal gardening over the years, but there's nothing quite so satisfying as growing cannabis plants in your house!

2 people like this

I find it satisfying too. Strange as no one else has ever seen them before the diary I started this time.

2 people like this

Yeah I gotta admit it feels pretty good. It's truly amazing to see something so natural, yet be illegal. A seed germinating into a developing life - nature at its finest. Stupid humans.

2 people like this

Day 10 (from germination):

Gave the girls their first feed two days ago. I ended up going for Shogun Terra Grow in the end, listened to a podcast and watched a couple of interviews with the woman who has formulated the range and was impressed both by the ethics around how she runs the business and the care and love she clearly has for the plant. I'm currently giving them a low dose of 1ml/l (they had another feed today) and will move up to 2ml/l on their next feed. They are also having a 0.5ml/l cal mag (yellow bottle) and 3ml/10l of h&g roots excelurator.

I took the advice in this thread (http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/413554-auto-pot-sizes-is-6l-a-bit-small/) and decided that I was still early enough in the process to increase pot size. I've got 1 in a 30l fabric pot (not filled to top as was running out of soil, probs using around 20-25l), 2 in 25l plastic pots and 3 in 10l plastic pots. Will try and pick up another bag of compost later today and pot 2 more up into the remaining 30l fabric pots I have. That will leave 3 in their 6l pots and so I can see how the yield is impacted by varying pot sizes. 

In order to minimise disturbance to the roots I gave them a drink approx 45min before potting up, figured the damp soil would stick together and protect the roots more. It went pretty well managed to get them transferred without disturbing the root ball, so fingers cross this won;t have set them back. Consensus seems to be it should be ok in the first 2 weeks.

I've finally got the parabolic shade out of the tent and have just finished spraying it with radiator paint and it is white again! Will leave it for 24h to make sure there are no more fumes coming off it and then put it back in the tent.

I currently have the 150w metal halide in a cheap metal reflector and 600w in the nicer metal reflector. Had forgotten just how much heat that reflector forces down though compared to the parabolic reflector which is making me want to switch back to the parabolic as can have the lights closer to the plants. Might start of thread though and see what the current thinking is on reflectors as I am very much out of the loop. The metal reflector seems like a much better reflective surface and the position of the bulb seems more efficient, but then afaik the relationship between proximity of lights to the plant is exponential, so maybe the parabolic is better.

My RH is lower than I would like it to be, seems to be hovering around 40%, going to see if I can get it up by 10-20pp with some bowls of water with fabric in them act as a wick.

Temps are in the 25c to 29c range.

I think I'm going to hook up the 4inch ruck fan to the intake tomorrow, kept to passive intake while I had the cooler lighting in the tent and the temps were on the low side, but that's not an issue now I've got 750w of hid in there and figure a bit of extra fresh air wouldn't hurt. The SMSCom fan controller controls both the intake and outflow fans and can tweak proportion of intake power compared to the outflow so should be able to dial it in nicely.

I've also strung the 6inch fan that's up in the loft onto bungee straps which has brought the noise levels in the house down to point where it can't be heard when loft hatch is down. Good thing I did that as there was a hole in the ducting blowing warm air into the loft (oops...). I've got the fan and the ducting run all covered in huge amount of rockwool which is working nicely.

Will be finding out fairly shortly whether my carbon filter has any life left in it (can't remember whether it was used for 1 or 2 grows), going to dismantle the old one I;ve got kicking about and weigh the carbon so I know how much to order and then refresh the one that I'm using if it looks like its not coping. Its vents into the bathroom at the rear of the house so will notice if the is an issue long before if anyone outside of the house.

All in all, happy with how they are looking at the stage, the runt (I messed up the transfer from damp tissue to pot, its not a genetic runt so to speak) that I wasn't expecting to survive is looking healthier although clearly much further behind in its development. The rest of the girls are at the stage where they are motoring, can see a difference even between the morning check and the evening check, ever so exciting!

SHades I'm currently using (pre potting up):

large.shades.jpg

Group shots pre potting up:

large.5fafdd98ec627_groupprepotup2.jpglarge.5fac5663eb3bb_allplants.jpg

Some close up shots:

large.5fafdd9bd72ee_closeup1.jpglarge.5fafdda23d0b3_closeup3.jpglarge.5fafdda3d7b6f_closeup5.jpglarge.5fafdd9a773d6_closeup2.jpg

The runt:

large.5fafdd9edd68e_closeup4(runt).jpg

Group shot after potting up:

large.5fafdd9d7c6e9_postpottingupgroup.jpg

Parabolic shade before painting (looks even more brown in real life):

large.5fafdda016fb7_paraunderneath.jpg

Post spray paint (with rad paint so will withstand the heat without yellowing):

large.5fafdda0eb14b_parapaint2.jpg

3 people like this

Day 11:

Yesterday I swapped my shades over, have gone back to the freshly painted parabolic shade as the metal one was creating a hot spots, have got a couple of burnt patchs on two of the leaves of the plant that was directly underneath it (despite having the reflector quite high up in the tent). I've also gone back to the 400w HPS, the reflector I removed has the starter for the 600w ballast incorporated into it, so need to do a bit of diy work to get it working with the parabolic reflector, will try and do that in the next day or two. The 150w MH is in the euro reflector and have found a way to hang it with the parabolic reflector which works quite well (will post pics later) and should mean I can move the MH around the tent twice a day to balance the lighting for the girls, rather than having to move the pots around.

I also potted up 3 plants that were still in the 6l pots: 1x fast bud and 1x cream caramel have gone into 30l fabric pots and 1x cream caramel has gone into a 10" plastic pot. That just leaves the runt and 1 healthy plant in the 6l pots so I can compare. The ones I potted up a couple of days ago have made the same progress as the healthy plant I haven't potted up which would indicate I've managed to avoid doing too much damage to the roots in the process which is a relief.

The most recent potting up was done with canna terra pro plus as the shop was out of stock of the canna terra pro. Really liking the pro+, wish I had used it on all of them, just went with the compost I have always used, but for future grows will definitely switch to the pro+.

I've also been rinsing some clay pebbles which I will be top dressing all of the pots with while I'm on my lunch break.

I've had the 4inch fan hooked up for the last couple of days providing active intake and a bit of air flow and movement on the girls now that they're no longer seedlings.  Will be getting a couple of clip on fans later in the week as I can;t find my old ones.

Not much else to report, they're looking healthy, they've had 1 more water with 1ml/l shogun grow, 3ml/10l roots excelurator and 1ml/l cal mag (using the shogun one now that my yellow bottle has ran out), temps are around the 26c region (after spiking up to 29 while I had the metal reflector in the tent), have managed to get the humidity up to 55%-65% and lights are on 24h.

Pics will be added tonight.

5 people like this