Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kush Lover

How do you germinate? Should I change?

52 posts in this topic

Into wet paper towels and into a plastic tub then stick the tub on top the boiler and all cracked within 24 hours.

20 hours ago, SYZYGY said:

The only 'special' thing I do now is put a tiny bit of aloe vera gel in the hole before the seed.

Aloe Vera. I'm intrigued. What benefit does this provide?

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

Aloe Vera. I'm intrigued. What benefit does this provide?

I've been using Aloe Vera as an effective rooting compound on cuttings for a while now. 

It stimulates root growth, accelerates cell division, and increases nutrient and water uptake. 

Most people who use it for germination soak the seeds in an Aloe solution, which I'd probably do for older seeds. 

Also contains micronutrients such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and manganese. Can provide amino acids such as lysine and glutamine, and enzymes like cellulase and amylase. Great as a foliar spray, although I never bother.

From RQS:

ALOE VERA HELPS PROTECT AGAINST DISEASE AND ENVIRONMENTAL STRESS

Aloe vera contains numerous compounds that can help protect plants against disease. The succulent contains high levels of acemannan, a polysaccharide that exerts antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal effects.

Aloe vera also offers high doses of saponins, which have been found to offer protection against threats like detrimental microbes, fungi, and mould. In addition to disease prevention, saponins help rejuvenate the soil and allow water to penetrate the roots. Saponins are also toxic to insects and help deter pest invasions.

Salicylic acid is another beneficial substance found within aloe vera that triggers a response in plants called systemic acquired resistance (SAR)[5]. This response is similar to the immune response that occurs in animals following exposure to a pathogen. SAR can be triggered by a wide range of pathogens and offers long-lasting protection. Salicylic acid is required by plants to act as a signalling molecule during SAR.

Damn good stuff :yep: 

8 people like this

coconut water too :stoned: 

2 people like this

Don't ask us ask kevin jodrey.

Edited by Dodgee
Change for embedded link

1 hour ago, SYZYGY said:

I've been using Aloe Vera as an effective rooting compound on cuttings for a while now.

have you really seen good benefits mate? i was gifted an aloe and i will give this a try.

although i only plant direct into medium and get 90-100% germ rates, can be arsed faffing around with tissue paper etc

19 minutes ago, ratdog said:

have you really seen good benefits mate?

Yeah, I'm totally sold on using it as a rooting compound. Did an A/B with Clonex, same cut.

23 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i only plant direct into medium and get 90-100% germ rates, can be arsed faffing around with tissue paper

I'm the same, it's a seed after all. I've only just started using Aloe for germinating but figured it couldn't be a bad thing and it's no faff really. Haven't done an A/B yet.  

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Did an A/B with Clonex, same cut.

was it faster? i have been using concentrated seaweed extract as a cloning agent and it seems to work well

i guess you just use it like clonex, neat?

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, ratdog said:

was it faster?

Faster, and fatter roots.

6 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Yes, I just poke the stalk in the end of a cut frond and twist it round a bit so it's well coated. 

5 people like this

2 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Faster, and fatter roots.

Yes, I just poke the stalk in the end of a cut frond and twist it round a bit so it's well coated. 

cool. i have taken all my cuts for my next run but will give this a go with the next lot :yep:

2 people like this

I use aloe to but with added seaweed meal and fulvic acid, had a roadawg root in 4 days using this mix. Better strike rates then clonex and doesn't have a stupid use by date. 

For seeds it's a 12 hour soak, doesn't matter if they sink or swim. Then straight into little 0.3-0.7 litre pots of whatever medium I'm using. Normally see life in 2-3 days

1 person likes this

Would it be OK to take a frond from an aloe,

and jar the contents for use at a later date? 

If so how long does stay active and what's the best way to store? 

:yinyang:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

was it faster? i have been using concentrated seaweed extract as a cloning agent and it seems to work well

I never use anything for cuttings, just water and humidity, never seem to loose any as long as the plant was healthy and the cuts are done right.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I never use anything for cuttings, just water and humidity, never seem to loose any as long as the plant was healthy and the cuts are done right.

i didn't used to, but then i started using @Dodgee's super duper concentrated seaweed as a dip as i had some here already and it certainly helped.

just checked my current batch and have 4 showing roots at 15 days so quite happy with that, the other 5 will be along shortly no doubt. i'm in no hurry as the mothers have 35-40 days flowering to do yet.

Edited by ratdog
2 people like this

I go straight to compost with relatively good results.100% germ rate so far this year. Everyone has there own preferred method but this is what I do; 

Losely fill 0.5 litre pots with compost (Jack's Magic this time around) 

Soak with water till I get run off (this brings the level to about 3/4) 

Leave pots in heated propagator overnight to get up to temp. 

I plant my seeds quite shallow 5 or 6ml, covered with a pinch of loose compost. 

Leave in heated propagator with lid on in the dark til they emerge (usually 2-4 days) 

Once they emerge I take the lid of the prop and turn on the light (I call this day 1) 

Works for me anywaylarge.20200924_142445.jpg