Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Green_bhoy

Coco and autopots. Problem.

22 posts in this topic

Hello growers.

Noticed one of my sweet Zkittlez over the past couple of days hasn't been herself.

She has leafs that have yellowed up at the bottom and a couple of rust spots on 2 leafs. I'm using the easy2grow setup which uses 8.5l pots in the tray. It's the 2 pot autopot. My temperatures have been between 29c - 22c.

Today is 5wks veg under a 250w mh. I have been changing the reservoir weekly and making up the nutes at 5.8-6.0ph and giving them an Ec of 1.2.

My tap water is 0.2ec

My last nute mix was:

2ml/L Rhizotonic.

2.5ml/L of Coco A+B.

I noticed on the surface of the coco it was white like salty on this plant. Possibly need a flush?

Any ideas on what this could be. First time with coco. Been good till now. My other plant looks brilliant compared to this plant. 

Here is a few pics.

large.20200916_171812_Easy-Resize_com.jpglarge.20200916_165620.jpglarge.20200915_184258.jpglarge.20200915_184252.jpg

You could have a build up of salts, do you get a decent amount of run off?

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Pot Luck said:

You could have a build up of salts, do you get a decent amount of run off?

They are autopots mate. They feed from the bottom. There is a valve/float that let's the nutes from the reservoir into the tray. Its been quiet straight forward to use. Just this little problem has arisen and I'm new to using coco.

Thanks

1 person likes this

Yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant indicate a hungry plant.

The rust spots are probably caused by a build up of moisture between the leaves.

Are your other plants the same strain?

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant indicate a hungry plant.

The rust spots are probably caused by a build up of moisture between the leaves.

Are your other plants the same strain?

Yes they are both sweet seed Zkittlez. Grown from seed.

You think upping the Ec?

Here is my other Zkittlez in the same autopot tray.

large.20200916_180058.jpg

I'm fairly new to coco growing so I'm not sure about EC levels yet.

How does your reservoir EC, pH and temps vary over time?

It's best to double check theirs not something else causing this problem as they should have roughly the same feeding requirements.

The other looks great, I'd be worried that upping the EC might burn this one.

It might be worth using a foliar feed on the one with yellow leaves.

@Exhale what do you think?

2 people like this

Autopots can stay a bit wet sometimes, and rooting out becomes slow, with yellowing leaves just like that. Is it the smallest plant?

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, uBercaMeL said:

Autopots can stay a bit wet sometimes, and rooting out becomes slow, with yellowing leaves just like that. Is it the smallest plant?

There both the same age. The good plant has tighter internodes than the sick plant. The sick one is more stretchy. 

There has been no growth as far as I can see on the sick plant and the leaves look thin and pale at the tops.

I'm stumped on what the problem is. Reservoir temps are 20c. Got an aquarium heater in there as I'm in the loft. 

Have you tried a magnesium foliar feed when the lights go out? The lightening of the leaves and rust spots point towards a lack of Mg in my opinion..

Look into epsom salts and check the article here about applying.

To be honest, I would personally dial back your nutes ever so slightly and try epsom salts. Got sulfur in there too which looks like it may help

Edit: i re read your post. Are you adding any calcium or magnesium at all?

Edited by EarLobe
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, EarLobe said:

Have you tried a magnesium foliar feed when the lights go out? The lightening of the leaves and rust spots point towards a lack of Mg in my opinion..

Look into epsom salts and check the article here about applying.

To be honest, I would personally dial back your nutes ever so slightly and try epsom salts. Got sulfur in there too which looks like it may help

Edit: i re read your post. Are you adding any calcium or magnesium at all?

I haven't added calcium or magnesium at all. 

Could this be due to my tap water Ec being 0.2?

I have canna calmag and just read the back of the bottle. It says bring background Ec upto 0.45 and then add your nutes. 

I could make up fresh feed for reservoir with Calmag added.

1 person likes this

My tap water kicks out at 300 ppm bro. Thats 0.6 and I still add calmag and 1ml per l and I still get deficiencies in soil!!!

100% make a new reservoir my friend. Your heavy on nitrogen but are masking it with the magnesium, calcium and sulfur there. Start fresh and check in 48 hours.

Edit: I would personally make sure you add all necessary nutes, keep ec at 0.8 for a week a raise it gradually until they look healthy

Edited by EarLobe
1 person likes this

When pots stay too wet plants put out stringier roots (not fluffy ones which take up nutrients more efficiently). A mate just finished an auto-pot grow and had the same thing, one plant pale yellow and deficient looking. At the end he checked the roots and it was the worst rooted out (not enough roots for the pot size).

e2a- the fact you have other plants alongside that are healthy supports this, if it was a lack of buffer, not enough calcium, magnesium etc you would expect all plants to be affected. 

It's just stayed too wet I'd put money on it..

Edited by uBercaMeL
1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, uBercaMeL said:

When pots stay too wet plants put out stringier roots (not fluffy ones which take up nutrients more efficiently). A mate just finished an auto-pot grow and had the same thing, one plant pale yellow and deficient looking. At the end he checked the roots and it was the worst rooted out (not enough roots for the pot size).

e2a- the fact you have other plants alongside that are healthy supports this, if it was a lack of buffer, not enough calcium, magnesium etc you would expect all plants to be affected. 

It's just stayed too wet I'd put money on it..

Yes good point. My other plant looks pretty healthy with no yellowing. They are both getting the same feed from the reservoir. Should I take out the affected plant from the tray then?

Personally I would take it off the reservoir, let it dry 50% ish (whole pot significantly lighter but not 'dry') and hand water until saturation, and repeat a few times.

2 people like this

Have you been checking the ph in your res between nute changes ? 

I’d agree with the advice above but flush it first with a light PH’d solution just to rule out any salt build up.

It looks easily recoverable at this point so should be fine. 

2 people like this