Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

captain sensible

Flowering and humidity versus heat

large.5f24503f7e52b_20200731000838_IMG_59621.JPGSo I'm in the 3rd week of flowering 3 ladies in 8 litre fabric pots in Allmix under 275w led scope and am having a problem with humidity and temps. Currently RH in the room with the tent is about 56. I'm watering every 48 hours at lights on about 1.5 litres per plant. For the first 24 hours my humidity in the tent rises into the mid to high 60s when lights off with temps about 23 to 24. To lower the humidity I am using a dehumidifier outside the tent which manages to lower RH to below 60 to about mid 50s but at a cost. The tent temperature rises to about 26 and this is lights off. My question is which is preferable, lower temps and higher humidity during lights off or higher temps and lower humidity and are too high temps during lights off detrimental to the health of the plant and production of those essential terpenes and THC delta 9?

Edited by captain sensible
1 person likes this

If we're strictly talking about lights off you need to consider a few things: 

- high humidity especially at lights off *may increase chances of mould
- high temps at lights off is only bad if those temps are as hot as or hotter than lights on temps (it will cause stunted growth)
- Lower temps particularly late flower will be best to preserve terps and cannabinoids

That should help you decide what to do. 

*You can get away with a lot more humidity if you have a clean grow space

1 person likes this

Mid to high sixties is where my last grow stayed for the whole of flowering, not through choice.  I massively increased airflow and lost a few joints worth out of 30 zips to mould.  Dope loves 60-70 rh in flowering man, it's us that don't like it. 

4 people like this

@Nervous Thanks for your response. 

Stunted growth and mould are exactly two possibilities that any grower does not want. It's  a tricky one given the wider environmental factors which are beyond my control. All a grower can do is try to control the immediate environment factors within certian ranges. Right now those external factors are in sync with the tent. The RH indoors has dropped from about 58 this morning to about 45 now which is easy to control in the tent which is running between 45 at the base of the pots and 60 around the canopy with the help of a small humidifier to maintain enough humidity. All I can do is hope that luck is with me and that as i approach touchdown in a few weeks that the H is not too high as the only way I can bring it down to below 60 after watering is to keep the dehumidifier on which obviously pushes the temps up to about 26.5 max. Lights on I am running about 28-29 at the canopy but this is under led and I have read numerous reports that temps with led need to  run a few degrees higher for the plant to metabolise properly. I may be wrong, please correct me if i am.

@FatBoy77 Thanks. I will prioritise keeping humidity in control I think and try to keep it in line with growing stage  as much as possible. 

2 people like this

Just now, captain sensible said:

I may be wrong, please correct me if i am.

Not sure actually mate, I've heard @tokenroll mention the sweet spot is between 28-30 though (I think). 

3 people like this

If your growing in pots cover them once watered and also defoliate both free and both reduce humidity.

@Nervous correct on the temps when using white leds.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
3 people like this

10 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Not sure actually mate, I've heard @tokenroll mention the sweet spot is between 28-30 though (I think). 

I think I have read the same post, which is good news ,as that is exactly where my lights on temps are. Thanks @tokenroll. I have done quite a bit of defoliation and have some of those clay balls which i will cover the surfaces with. I am giving the plants a rest from defoliating for a few days until they recover from the last session when i removed a seemingly never ending amount of leaves below the canopy over three nights. I think now I understand more what I should be doing the plants are showing what they can do under these lights in the right conditions and its new to me. My worry obviously is the dreaded mould which in a grow tent could be fatal especially as not having had any experience of it, it could be too late by the time it is apparent. 

3 people like this

14 hours ago, Nervous said:

*You can get away with a lot more humidity if you have a clean grow space

for sure but i think its more about air circulation i.e the more air circulation the less chance of bud rot regardless of r/h and or cleanliness. 

my grow spaces are filthy in most peoples terms and i spray/mist daily at least but i rarely have had bud rot(crosses fingers) but i do have alot of circulating fans....not just the shit clip on ones.

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, buddy13 said:

for sure but i think its more about air circulation i.e the more air circulation the less chance of bud rot regardless of r/h and or cleanliness. 

my grow spaces are filthy in most peoples terms and i spray/mist daily at least but i rarely have had bud rot(crosses fingers) but i do have alot of circulating fans....not just the shit clip on ones.

Tunnel vision on humidity and temps! I usually have multiple shit ones placed strategically. I think keeping things clean helps, then again I did used to put UV filters on my intakes.. 

Edited by Nervous
1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Tunnel vision on humidity and temps!

you lost me there...bit early for me:rofl:

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, buddy13 said:

you lost me there...bit early for me

Cap'n sensible was mainly just talking about temps and humidity in the original post so I didn't think to mention fans etc (hence tunnel vision aha). 

1 person likes this