Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Simple Jack

Plymouth shop fighting for its future amid court row

Plymouth shop fighting for its future amid court row

Tidy Hydro boss says that shop is a legitimate business selling equipment to clients such as the University of Plymouth

A boss at a store shut down by the police because it sells equipment linked to growing cannabis has told a court it is a legitimate business.

Francis Taylor, of Tidy Hydro at Faraday Mill, told a judge that the shop numbered the University of Plymouth among its customers.

Plymouth City Council and Devon and Cornwall Police issued a closure notice for the premises in Faraday Road in Cattedown on Wednesday.

It means that it is illegal for anyone other than the owner or tenant to enter the shop.

Tidy Hydro sells hydroponic equipment, including reflective-lined tents, powerful lights, ventilation systems, drying nets, plant pots, liquid nutrients, pumps and timers.

The notice under the Antisocial Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 stated there were “reasonable grounds for believing” that the premises were linked to “nuisance to members of the public”.

Mr Taylor said that the closure order – which could be for three months if granted – would be contested.

Summing up his position, District Judge Joanna Matson asked: “You say you are a legitimate business?”

Mr Taylor said: “Yes”.

Judge Matson added: “You have supplied various people, including the University of Plymouth?”

Mr Taylor said: “Yes, I have indeed.”

The judge extended the temporary closure until the contested hearing on July 22.

It will give the police and council more time to gather any evidence and allow Mr Taylor to find a solicitor.

Mr Taylor declined to talk outside court following the short hearing.

Tidy Hydro, which also has an online business, started trading in Plymouth in 2013.

According to the store's website, it sells "complete grow kits" costing up to £680.99, which include a large tent, bulbs, reflectors, times, thermometer, flexible ducting, clamps and other equipment.

It says: "Tidy Hydro stock some of the most popular hydroponics equipment and indoor growing supplies on the market including grow systems, hydroponic pumps and grow room accessories.”

Similar equipment is frequently used in the intensive cultivation of cannabis, which is illegal. However, it is not illegal to sell the equipment as it could be used for all manner of plant cultivation.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-shop-fighting-future-amid-4315445

When I read the linked article I see two stories being reported as the same crime.

The article talks about a raid on a commercial cannabis farm and has a video of a cannabis farm.

Yet the article is about a hydro-shop being ordered to close.

Looks like they are trying to reinforce a link between a hydro shop and the illegal activity that criminals get up to via the application of legal equipment to grow illegal cannabis.

Unless they have proof that the owner knew what the stuff his customers bought was used for, I cannot see that there is any legal justification to close the store.

The article states that the shop is a source of antisocial behavior. I'm not sure how that would be the case unless his customers are all rowdy chav's.

2 people like this

i used to have a grow tent and all the other stuff i bought for my chilli plants before i got into cannabis growing. i dont have it now as it was too expensive for me to run but my original purpose was for chillis 

He's selling legal products , seems like harassment by the council and police to me .

4 people like this

Spent 3 years in Plymouth at university. Attitude of the fucking throwback police doesn't surprise me a bit, worst coppers of anywhere I've ever lived :( utter cunts. Poor bloke needs to get himself a decent solicitor.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Somewhere on these boards (I think DANZIG posted it) there was a memo from the Home Office to local forces instructing them to harass "head shops". One of the criteria to know if it was a head shop was "display of material advocating a change in the law".

So there you have it. Legitimate political opinions are now cause for police harassment. Obvious the press didn't pick up on it at the time. Now they wonder why they daren't express some views for fear of being "cancelled". Tough titty. They should have fought it when it started.

e2a: On the basis that there are hundreds of growshops around (about 5 near me) that aren't being threatened, then I wonder what this place has done to piss the law off. We can ignore the article obviously.

I'm guessing some undercover plod popped in, asked for the best setup to grow his "skunk" and some poor sod in the shop told him, and the shop can't show it was against staff training.

If I ran a grow shop, that's what I would do. Make it clear every member of staff had been clearly instructed in their sales duty so that if there were to be any mention of cannabis, it could be proved to be against store policy.

And make sure all displays are showing what lovely chillis and tomatoes hydroponics can grow.

Edited by JimmyPage
3 people like this

1 minute ago, JimmyPage said:

Somewhere on these boards (I think DANZIG posted it) there was a memo from the Home Office to local forces instructing them to harass "head shops". One of the criteria to know if it was a head shop was "display of material advocating a change in the law".

So there you have it. Legitimate political opinions are now cause for police harassment. Obvious the press didn't pick up on it at the time. Now they wonder why they daren't express some views for fear of being "cancelled". Tough titty. They should have fought it when it started.

this happened in taunton, because there was lots of needles in the local park they (locals) focused on the local head shop and got it closed down. fucking disgrace tbh, i know one of the people who achieved this, and she's a proper self-righteous type

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, ratdog said:

this happened in taunton

When I was growing up, I naively thought I lived in "Britain" - pretty much a country.

Then I realised that Scotland, Wales and Ireland had their own "thing" as different countries, and that "England" was pretty much all the same.

Now I'm just awaiting the sweet release of death, I've seen that you can almost - almost but not quite - say that evert county in England has its own thing going on. And by God, the West Country is it's own. Many years ago, on holiday, MrsJP and I were driving around aimlessly and decided to stop for lunch at the first town we drove through, which was Torrington. And to this day I can't explain it, but she said it had a weird and really unpleasant vibe, and I could tell what she meant. Ugh.

I'm a city boy, sorry.

1 person likes this

On 7/13/2020 at 0:12 PM, JimmyPage said:

Many years ago, on holiday, MrsJP and I were driving around aimlessly and decided to stop for lunch at the first town we drove through, which was Torrington. And to this day I can't explain it, but she said it had a weird and really unpleasant vibe, and I could tell what she meant. Ugh.

Have been observing weird and unpleasant vibes in a region where home growing is decriminalised, social clubs are permitted, and weed is cheap as chips and still  one senses the Spirit of Prohibition in conversation on the  public streets, bars, minds and family culture...street culture, Buds are growing around town and not directly persecuted but the individuals spiritual liberty is directly verbally and spiritually challenged in the negative.

The old Prohibitive Taboo's are used within the public space, subjected to long gaunt stares in some places for weed smell.

No one wants to smoke weed for free here in the public space, they take prohibition as a bit of a sport, it excites them..negatively but it perks them up.

Many of the locals drinking in a bar are friends... The off duty dectective playing pool with his nephew the customs agent asks  barman(daughter is a chemist) if he has seen any criminal gang who plant cannabis, revenue officer asks for a beer and babysham for his wife whose a parking warden, guys posing by the dart board are prison officers on a bender. Go on in to the lounge, a Landlord who keeps deposits is pouring wine for a judge who issues fines to festival goers. They're all laughing and joking together until the Hippy walks in looking for a drink....!  Can hear a pin drop :shock:

1 person likes this

On 7/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, JimmyPage said:

When I was growing up, I naively thought I lived in "Britain" - pretty much a country.

Then I realised that Scotland, Wales and Ireland had their own "thing" as different countries, and that "England" was pretty much all the same.

That's a strange thing to say ,a hundred years partially free from the Jack . I suppose it's all the one ,your country . A grand gaelic gasún you are . 

1 person likes this