Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

R U Coolman

Do LED's need a contacter? Would a Pug and Play timer be sufficient?

I'm located in the U.K. My set up consists of two moderately sized grow boxes, one with a 150w LED and the other with a 300w. I've been growing for a year just using two cheap tescos timers for each light with no problems. That is until I discovered this forum and the great knowledge it has granted me about contacters and relays, which I never knew about before hand. 

I've done away with the timers for now and have been awaking at 6am to switch my lights on manually since I've read here that that a contacter is very important for grow lights, my question is, is it just as important to have one for LEDS, for a 300w light? And also would one of those heavy duty pug and play timers be sufficient for a 300w LED?

Any help is very much appreciated, cheers.

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

As far as I know contactors are only needed for hid lamps due to the surge of juice to get them fired up....I'm running an led with no contractor & having no problems

Edited by Lamster67
Spelling
2 people like this

Yeah man, thats what I'm thinking too. But thought it best to be sure, the third rate timers has worked for me so far.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, R U Coolman said:

Yeah man, thats what I'm thinking too. But thought it best to be sure, the third rate timers has worked for me so far.

You'd know soon enough when you get a 24/0 cycle. :) Don't ask me how I know.

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

I've only grow autos, with a cycle of 18/6 the entire time, I don't like the idea of having the light on 24 hours lol

1 person likes this

You can plug led lights straight into the wall or an ordinary timer.

No contactor is needed. Been running mine for over a year with no issues.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

You can plug led lights straight into the wall or an ordinary timer.

No contactor is needed. Been running mine for over a year with no issues.

I've been doing the same, mate. I might get myself one of those heavy duty timers for peace of mind, at least for the 300w

Edited by R U Coolman

1 minute ago, R U Coolman said:

I've been doing the same, mate. I might get myself one of those heavy duty timers for piece of mind, at least for the 300w

One of my led lights is drawing 395W connected to an ordinary timer. You need to stop worrying, as someone said earlier you need a contactor to get those hid lights fired up but that’s not the case with leds. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

One of my led lights is drawing 395W connected to an ordinary timer. You need to stop worrying, as someone said earlier you need a contactor to get those hid lights fired up but that’s not the case with leds. 

Aye, I read on this that leds don't light instantly, so less or no surge (I think). I also a read a horror story of some guys house burning up with a 250w on a domestic timer and it was the timer that caused the fire, but I think it was hid. Cheers amigo, your wisdom is very much appreciated.

It depends on the amount of wattage you are going to be kicking up when your lights come on, not the type of lighting.

The plug socket and Fuse panel (CCU) in your home doesn't know the difference between an LED Driver or HID Ballast, all it knows is how much juice you use at one given time. 

If you have less than 500w a timer should be fine. Anything 600w or above and I like to think a contactor is a wise investment. They have a timer and the safer switch over from cold to hot will help any unwanted RCD switches. Plus you now have two 13 amp fuses before the RCD instead of just one.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

It depends on the amount of wattage you are going to be kicking up when your lights come on, not the type of lighting.

The plug socket and Fuse panel (CCU) in your home doesn't know the difference between an LED Driver or HID Ballast, all it knows is how much juice you use at one given time. 

If you have less than 500w a timer should be fine. Anything 600w or above and I like to think a contactor is a wise investment. They have a timer and the safer switch over from cold to hot will help any unwanted RCD switches. Plus you now have two 13 amp fuses before the RCD instead of just one.

I will be getting myself a contacter when I upgrade my lights in the very near future, I done a bit of research and realised they definitely are a must have for 600w. Cheers for your info, my friend. 

3 hours ago, R U Coolman said:

I've only grow autos, with a cycle of 18/6 the entire time, I don't like the idea of having the light on 24 hours lol

I am trying led,s for the first time with autos 24/0.

I found it alot easier to controll the environment having the light on 24/0 and i think the plants are growing alot better .

1 minute ago, NuVista said:

I am trying led,s for the first time with autos 24/0.

I found it alot easier to controll the environment having the light on 24/0 and i think the plants are growing alot better .

I've never had any problems with temp etc, though I have heard 24/0 gives the best results. 

1 person likes this