Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hammo44

Drying temps

19 posts in this topic

Currently drying my last crop and looking for thoughts on temps in the drying tent.

I messed up the last dry which I now know was drying small airy buds too fast. Aiming for a much longer dry, 10+ days would be ideal.

Changed up my dry routine completely this time. Dry trimming instead of wet trimming. Left as much leaf on as I could. Got the extraction on minimum and have a 4" circulating fan running 10 mins every hour, although I'm thinking about not running it as seeing a big spike in RH when it's on.

RH is between 57-62 but temps went as low as 12 and sitting around 13-14 on average. Will that temp range be an issue?

Last dry I had temps between 17-19.

Edit - I'm 2 days into the dry.

Edited by Hammo44

@Hammo44

I would say if it stays at that temp there may be issues. 

I usually have temps at about 18c and the rh will spike for a few days (4 ish) as most of the moisture leaves the plant, I dry trim and at them temps I usually have a 14 -21 day dry period. One the stems snap (audible) I brown bag for about 4 days shaking the bags a few times a day. Then into jars with minimal burping. 

Everyone will have a different way of drying.

all the best

peace

lil d.  :skin_up:

Eta. I don’t use a circ fan when I’m drying as I dry I’m my tent with the extraction on full

Edited by lildaveham
2 people like this

Thanks man. I'm drying in the tent aswell but it's really cold where I am just now and don't fancy running the heating non stop. The last dry had the grow tent in the same room so the room stayed pretty warm.

I've got a tube heater I used during the grow but been reluctant to add anything and dry as naturally as possible. I might stick it in there and monitor it overnight to see if it bumps the temps up and doesn't mess too much with the humidity.

Don’t put the tube heater in the tent!!

Put it in the room that the tent is in and see if it helps raise the air temp a little. 

Peace

lil d. :skin_up:

Yeah I wrote that and immediately had doubts :unsure: I literally want to leave it to dry as naturally as possible, strip it down to basics and hope for a good result and use the method as a baseline.

The heater has been in the room for 24 hours but it's not raising the temps much. Mmm I might see if I can move the tent into a walk in cupboard and use the heater in a smaller room.

Failing that I might just run the heating for an hour on and off throughout the day and hope for the best at night.

Did you end up putting a heater in? How did it turn out? I’m in the same position in a loft it’s dropping to 10c I can’t put a heater outside the room, was thinking maybe putting it on a timer on the lowest setting to come on for 15 mins every hour, what do you think??

id love someone to explain to me the difference between a 20 degree tent with a heater in and a 20 degree tent with the heater outside

2 people like this

1 hour ago, lemoore00 said:

id love someone to explain to me the difference between a 20 degree tent with a heater in and a 20 degree tent with the heater outside

Possibly the humidity would be lower with heater inside tent ?

I use my little 400w oil rad in my drying tent when temps drop too low and humidity goes above 55//60 . Usually just 15 min every hour with extraction fan always running  but I never use an oscillating fan,  heater goes off when humidity is down to 50 or lower.

please bare in mind my house is old cold wet and damp 

:yinyang:

Edited by Al Swearengen
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Stealthiswealth said:

Did you end up putting a heater in? How did it turn out? I’m in the same position in a loft it’s dropping to 10c I can’t put a heater outside the room, was thinking maybe putting it on a timer on the lowest setting to come on for 15 mins every hour, what do you think??

Nah dude didn't put it directly in the tent. Ended up sitting the heater in line with the passive vent and raised it up on some boxes so it was level. Bumped the temps up by a few degrees but overnight it still dropped too much.

Ended up sticking the tent in a walk in cupboard and again, put the heater level with the vent. Instead of heating a larger bedroom, it maintained a nice heat in the smaller cupboard. I kept the door slightly open to keep air circulation. I hooked the heater to my inkbird set at 16-18 and it kept the temps nice and consistent. Tbh it didn't come on much such was the heat retention in the cupboard.

I feel for you in the loft man. I grow in mine but drying would be impossible. I was up there yesterday and the temp was 3-4 degrees. It's not insulated though. Can you dry in a warmer place?

I guess having it in there on a timer might be ok and if you can run warmer air from inside your house, it might not need to come on as often but my concern was flash drying them with the heater in there - especially as I was running extraction as low as I could go.

1 hour ago, lemoore00 said:

My worry would be it drying the air and drying the buds too quick at the same time if inside the tent. I was drying in a 40x40 so no matter where I positioned the heater it would always be sitting under the buds.

Figured the hot air being pulled slightly in through the vents would cool a bit before reaching the buds at the top but enough to maintain temps. Running lower extraction, I also felt the heat would just build up too quickly. The controller would stop it running out of control but the extraction wouldn't dissipate the built up heat like during a grow.

No flash drying here , mines drying since the start of December, not much longer now 

1 person likes this

That's crazy man. I was so happy to get 12 days before jarring!

What are the temps / humidity like over that long a period? Are they consistent day over day?

1 person likes this

Hey man , it seems long alright but nothing new as I've been growing in this space for over 3 years. I grow in a converted attic , insulated but not great. Cold in winter , hot in summer. This time of year the temperature fluctuates , lows of 11/12 and than usually 18 with the heat on , sometimes 20 but nothing to worry about there. Humidity between 50 and 60 , sometimes I like a little lower than 50 which happens with the rad on .I whole plant dry (usually from 9ltr pots) for at least the first month. I go past the point of initial stem snap . The stem retains a massive amount of moisture and give it a day with the rad off and humidity around 60 or more  and the stems will bend again and the buds will be less dry to the touch.  Back in the day I used to read about sweating ones buds , essentially I'm doing the same thing. Gradually drawing the moisture out slowly. After a month or so I like to take the buds off the plant and place on drying rack for a few more weeks. Than a final trim and back on the drying rack for more time . In summer it will be less time needed in this process but still about 1 month /5 weeks total. 

Theres a coraltion between dryness, smoothness, white Ash, resin ring and flavour. I want all of these things in my final rolled up joint . Well resin ring depends on the plant/genetic/quality but won't appear on a joint if it's not dried enough. 

Even when i take a bud out of a jar I like to leave it in a bowl or near a fire for 30 or so minutes before I skin it up. Or another thing I like to do is roll up a few joints , wrap them in some paper napkin and pop them on top of  my Grow or flowering tent for a day two. These joint burns exactly how I want them too  with everything I'm looking for. 

Theres many variables to be aware of as we all grow and and dry in different environments, mine happens to be a damp , wet cold , old gaff. 

Good luck 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

I would think the heater in the tent would be direct heat, think of it like a fan blowing directly on your plants, instead of bouncing of the walls.

The outside option, indirect heat, and a slower ambient heat for drying slower and longer.

Usually drying about 27-30 x 9ltr plants at one time in my dedicated 1mx1m drying tent . So it's pretty full and humidity is high for the first week