Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Johnson kelvin

How to stop whooshing noise on a budget?

Hi, I have a 80x80x180 tent with 4 pots of northern lights.. My carbon filter is connected to in-line fan and the ducting of course goes out the tent but is an annoying whooshing sound coming from the end of the ducting. I have the standard aluminium ducting but have heard insulated ducting will help OR a speed controller. What’s the best recommendation to do? (Am on a budget now).. (Can get both for just over £10 ish)

1 person likes this

Think that budget might be a bit low mate, can you stretch it?  Both a reasonable controller, or a silencer, even a cheap one, will be more than a tenner.

You could use large ducting on outlet side like five inch fan six inch duct and have it around 2m long . Larger diameter on outlet means less turbulence 

5 people like this

don't buy cheap controllers, your fan will buzz like fuck

5 people like this

14 minutes ago, Johnson kelvin said:

Hi, I have a 80x80x180 tent with 4 pots of northern lights.. My carbon filter is connected to in-line fan and the ducting of course goes out the tent but is an annoying whooshing sound coming from the end of the ducting. I have the standard aluminium ducting but have heard insulated ducting will help OR a speed controller. What’s the best recommendation to do? (Am on a budget now).. (Can get both for just over £10 ish)

When you say you can get a speed controller for £10 I guess you mean a Varispeed or similar, a plug thing with a dial on that you plug the plug from your fan into and control the 'speed' with the dial. That's not a proper fan speed controller, proper fan speed controllers are big boxes that cost a lot more than a tenner and work in a much more complicated way. the cheap dial things may reduce fan noise, but like ratdog says they may make it worse with buzzing and stuff, and if you're really unlucky they may burn your house down... Don't waste your money. Acoustic ducting can definitely help, cheapo £10 bits of plastic that market themselves as 'fan controllers' may or may not help and they may also be very dangerous, I really would advise avoiding them.

if the noise is coming from the outlet i would save up and get a silencer a proper fan speed controller will lessen the fan noise but could

also bring heat and air problems..

i use a silencer and it works really well..

I agree about the plugs they're not at all good. But since getting a proper controller my environment is much easier to control and alot less noise.

Where are you extracting the air too out of curiosity? For me to be able to hear the air leaving my ducting I'd have to break out a ladder and get into the attic. My noise concerns came from the fan itself in the room. I used to vent out of a window and it wasn't audible from the outside 1st floor window.

2 hours ago, Johnson kelvin said:

annoying whooshing

DIY silencer will cut most of it..google 'diy silencer uk420' to give you some ideas, I use one which works really well, cost virtually nothing...:yep:

2 people like this

Ask in your local grow shop or just go on ebay-I have bought 5m of 4” ducting for £12. I don’t think you can get any half decent controller for less then £20 unless you can get a second hand one. 
I was fighting with noise for over a month and on the end I went for a one size bigger and soundproofed fun-8” instead of 6” all connected by acoustic ducting