Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bigbob88

DWC - Nutes and Cooling

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Planning to use DWC for my first grow. Could anyone help with some questions I have please?

I'm looking to understand what nutes I'll need to grow some Dutch Passion Strawberry Cough with a dwc system? I've seen pH up and down, are there other bytes required. Thoughts are without soil it will be lacking?

Also I've not looked into water cooling, but seen someone mention you could get root rot without it? Is that true, if so what's the best, and cheapest way to get round the problem?

Thanks

hi m8 your going to need grow and bloom nutrients and probably cal mag  and ph down as a bare minimum 

have you  ph  and ec meters as you will need them

root temps don't want to be over 20 degrees as anything over that will cause rot so many people use hailea fish tank chillers 

its a very steep learning curve dwc for a first grow but the benefits can be huge if it all goes right but if it goes wrong then 2-3 months work can be gone in 48 hrs  

what dwc system are you running ?

2 people like this

PLANTiT IWS Deep Water Culture DWC.

I haven't taken water cooling into account, so that has thrown a spanner in the works as they look expensive as ffff.

Are there any cheaper options?

1 person likes this

You can stick frozen bottles of water in there to bring temps down, I did this for years but it was pretty hit and miss when it came to consistent res temps and these ladies love consistency. I ended up getting a chiller in the end and I can pretty much say that was the best investment I ever made for my rdwc system. All you need mate is hydro grow, hydro bloom, rootstim and pH down and a accurate and reliable pH and ec meter, I used to run a blulab guardian combo meter.

Depending on water quality you may need Cal/mag. I never as a lived in a soft water area at the time.

Good luck mate, as has been said it can be a steep learning but when dialled in can bring big rewards :hippy:.

1 person likes this

soil or coco ? lol 

very low doses of Hydrogen peroxide would help with keeping root rot at bay 

frozen water bottle in the bottom of the pot is an alternative but it get boring fast swapping them over and if your using single pots the roots don't like touching the  frozen water bottle 

it can be done its just easier with a chiller 

are you just doing single pots or multiple with them linked up ? 

if it just a single plant your growing and have the space get the biggest container with lid you can find and a net pot as larger volumes of water take longer to heat up 

Edited by Intense Nutrients Matt

Thanks for the help lads.

I'll get to buying the nutes and meters soon.

Regarding the chiller, agreed my thoughts were the same about getting bored of changing it daily, plus it's not going to be in the most accessible location. Are there any cheap chillers out there? I'm seeing them £200+?

1 person likes this

Have a look on fleabay you will find some second hand chillers for around half price. 

They are worth the money all day long I got the hailea 150 second hand for £100 keeps my res at a steady 19c 

also depending on what nutrients your gonna use you might not need a ph meter I’m running my first Dwc it’s a oxypot XL at the moment with advance nutrients ph perfect range and only use a truncheon to measure the strength of feed nothing else needed. 

2 people like this

all depends on how many plants you are growing and the amount of water you need to chill but in short no dwc is fecking expensive to set up and to run properly when you add up all the extra power consumption on air pumps water pumps chillers etc but you cant beat it for growth when done right   

have a look at other hydroponic systems other than dwc  autopots etc bonus with this type of system is the bulk of the water needed can be located outside the grow area and kept cooler away from light heat :yep:

Edited by Intense Nutrients Matt

I'm on my first grow and I went with half soil on one side of the tent and hydro on the other. The difference is insane. I went with the brummie bubbler setup, essentially dwc. But I'm going to upgrade to the oxypot on my next grow. I'm using the hydrotops range, so I'm using bactivator, top heavy crop, tripple f, grow and bloom a&b, and then demon nutrients root stimulator. Mine are due to be flipped today and so far they've been booming. I haven't taken nute temperature into account but I'm going to have to now as winters kicking in and im having to add a heater so I'll have to keep the nutes temp down some how. Dont let the hydro stuff put you off, I use soft water and I dont even have a ph pen, people will slate me for it and I will get one this week when I go to buy my veg tent stuff but I've had no problems. Make sure you have a blue lab ec truncheon though. 

It's not as hard as you think with in 2 weeks you will have the hang of it. 

Thanks guys, do you know if they are expensive on the electrics?

With it being my first grow I'm trying to keep the cost down to be honest. So not sure if I'm going to go ahead with using the dwc now. I'll have a look around for cheaper chillers and make my mind up over the next week.

Thanks guys

1 person likes this

@Bigbob88 they are not too bad on power usage think mines about 150watts of the top of my head but it’s not running continuously only on for a few minutes to bring temp back down it fluctuates about a degree before kicking in. 

3 minutes ago, Bigbob88 said:

With it being my first grow I'm trying to keep the cost down to be honest. So not sure if I'm going to go ahead with using the dwc now. I'll have a look around for cheaper chillers and make my mind up over the next week.

Thanks guys

To be honest I haven't even checked what I'm spending. The only difference will be the water pumps and I highly recommend the bubblegen. I use a 1500l/h pump in each tank and they're ment to be 60w each. So really the only difference you have is the wattage of your water pumps and chillers the rest Is the same as soil. You have to spend more time perfecting your room but once it's all dialed in I literally just go in there do water changes once a week, top up water daily and low stress train the canopy the roots drink when they want how much they want. lol

1 minute ago, Auto gorilla said:

@Bigbob88 they are not too bad on power usage think mines about 150watts of the top of my head but it’s not running continuously only on for a few minutes to bring temp back down it fluctuates about a degree before kicking in. 

Can you run one chiller unit for two water tanks mate? And is it hooked up to a thermometer in the water so it just comes on when they warm up then turns off? 

@Seven420 I think you should be able to run two tanks through one chiller you would have to link them somehow but it’s doable just make sure the chiller is big enough to Handle the total volume of the system. 

No there is no thermometer in the water you pump the water through the chiller and the chiller has it built in and displays it on the screen. I’ve got a separate thermometer in the water just so I can double check the temp is correct. 

1 hour ago, Bigbob88 said:

Thanks guys

Be like pissing on your leg and saying it's raining telling you you don't need a chiller. But just throwing it out there I don't use a chiller in my dwc and iv not had any issues in 12+ months.

Iv got a seedling going now in a 30litre dwc no chiller.

I think I'm gonna learn the hard way eventually but 12 months is a long time for zero issues and we've had a scorcher of a summer. 

Chiller prices are a little bit naughty but I think it's pretty much an essential.

But you certainly can wing it without and still hit the finish line.

3 people like this