Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the german

Automatic watering using BioBizz

I'm using BioBizz nutrients and Light Mix soil, and ideally I'd like to set up an automatic watering system so I can go away for a few days. From what I've seen though, most of the options aren't suitable for organic nutrients due to their thicker consistency causing blockages. Are there any commercially available options, and if not, what DIY options could work?

I've got a clay "Plant Nanny" watering spike (similar to those Tropf-Blumat devices) that you attach a bottle to, but I'm not sure if the nutrients are able to pass through the clay. I also suspect that after a few days the nutrients would start to separate in the bottle. Are the Tropf-Blumat devices any good? Connecting several to a reservoir is an appealing option, but the pipes do look a little thin. What would be the best way of keeping the nutrients mixed in the reservoir?

Looking to the future, are there any organic mineral based nutrients, or is that an oxymoron?

I had the same question, and found an old thread in which several people reckoned an Autopot was fine with Biobizz so long as you flushed the lines and ran the valve through the dishwasher every few weeks.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, Absurdist said:

I had the same question, and found an old thread in which several people reckoned an Autopot was fine with Biobizz so long as you flushed the lines and ran the valve through the dishwasher every few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had searched around a bit before posting and looked at the AutoPot USA option on GroWell, but I wasn't too sure about the size of the pipe. Looking into alternatives, I came across the EasyFeed Alien system, which is pretty similar but with much more substantially sized pipes and a timer, so I'll probably go with that.

Looking at the docs for BioBizz, for the Bloom nutes it says "Lasts in tank 2 -3 days" - which is worryingly vague. Does anyone know what that implies? Does it break down harmlessly, or being organic would it start to "go off" and potentially cause problems (other than under-feeding) like root rot after a week? I'm starting to regret going to BioBizz route a bit, I remember it being the only thing people would recommend last I was growing (which was some years ago now tbf), but looking at some of the threads in the problem solver forum and problems I'm having with my current grow I'm wondering if I should go another way in future?

If your not going for autopots which would do the job with bio Bizz.

then before I did garland trays with one easy to grow holiday kit connected into it (also connected to a diy tank) 

this along with layer of stones / granuals in the bottom of the pots. 

90 ltr diy tank or less and 1 sq mtr garland tray.

this set can hold maybe 5 plants and feed auto for a week 

17 minutes ago, the german said:

I'm starting to regret going to BioBizz route a bit, I remember it being the only thing people would recommend

Bio bizz I think works great in tanks / auto pot tanks. As it’s easy to mix down, doesn’t get too heavy like a milkshake. But never the less If your leaving it for a few days best to mix the tank around a bit.

Put a few bubblers in the tank ,that  will keep it mixed and good to use for at least 3 days , then connect this to the autopot system .

1 person likes this

The problem with Biobizz ready mixed is that it goes off quickly especially if it's warm. It starts to really stink!

Like others have said 2-3 days and it shouldn't be too bad.

I think bloom is slower to go off than grow

Thanks for the input guys, I think putting air stone into a tank like @Hazy.g suggested and going with the Alien EasyFeed is probably the best option. I guess I'll look into an alternative to BioBizz going forward because if it only lasts 2-3 days in the tank, it somewhat defies the point seeing as I'm looking for something that can be left unattended for closer to 5-7 days.

FYI @bearukc apparently it's Bloom that goes off quicker (2-3 days) rather than grow (which doesn't have a specified time from what I can see). I know what you mean about the stink though!

1 person likes this

I just got back from a week in Italy.   I was concerned for the girls the entire time.

What I did was while potting up, I put a 2 inch strip of t-shirt in to the soil (wrapped it around a bit), ran it out the top of the pot, and stuck it in a milk jug full of water (It's what I had).    As long as the water is above the plant, the t-shirt draws water into the soil when it needs it.

When I got back, the girls were thriving.