Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Splinter

Insufficiently dried bubble - what to do now?

G'day all,

I've done a few bubble runs over the last week or so and arsed things up. One run was an ordeal - the bubble was so sticky it was like working with tar. I'm amazed I got anything from it at all since it immediately welded itself to anything it touched: bags, pressing screens, hands, kitchen. I literally (OK, maybe not literally), practically had to hose my entire kitchen down with iso. I attempted to freeze and grate it, which was only partially successful since after 10 secs out the freezer, it was the consistency of warm shatter, and set it out to dry.

Yesterday, I was collecting some up from the drying tent and picked up the wrong tray - the sticky one which had only been drying for 3 days. The good grades are now a solid mass in jars which I don't think was fully dry, and I could do with a little advice on what to do now.

I intend to press all the hash with a hot bottle (a la Frenchy), so freezing the bubble would not be a problem, but I would rather keep it as bubble since I have different grades/strains and would like the freedom to press 'blends', as and when. So, do I:

A, Freeze the bubble and take bits, as and when (preferred option)?

B, Freeze the bubble and try to grate and dry it again?

C, Press it all now (will the hot bottle be sufficient to remove the moisture I think may still be in there). I doubt this will work, but...?

D, Turn it into a rosin/shatter (I really, really don't want to do this since I dab very rarely)?

I am aware of the argument that freezing breaks tric heads, but since it was fresh frozen, and frozen to grate, that horse has already bolted. Also, it will be pressed as soon as it comes out the freezer, so I'd much rather freeze it than run the risk of it molding (which I'm fairly sure will happen if I leave it as it is). It is only 12 grams, but that is quite a lot to me.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

2 people like this

Sounds like an oily plant mate, probably quite a sedative buzz I would imagine, but normally when it is so sticky it's because there is still quite a bit of moisture in there.

You could get some parchment paper/grease proof paper, sandwich the oily bubble & press it out to a thin layer. Then freeze it, then open out the paper & let it dry for a few more days. Then re-evaluate. 

I've had oily hash before that wasn't stable at room temperature for weeks. :bong:

1 person likes this

Thanks AKPOG. It was an absolute nightmare to work with. I'm not a seasoned pro, but I've never had it where I've been unable to get it out the bags. It's Bubba's Gift (highly recommended btw) and the buds are still extremely sticky and it's been curing for about a month. I did a bit of OG Kush last night and it was sooo much easier - it's already almost dry and sand-like.

I have actually done as you suggested earlier today with 2 grams, just to see how it looks, but I just wanted to make sure that freezing the bubble before pressing wouldn't have any unintended consequences - there must a million threads on how to store bubble, and not one that I've read has any degree of consensus - I guess that for dabbing and storing as bubble, you'd want the trics unbroken as much as is possible, where for me, that isn't a major issue (as far as I'm aware). I don't want the pressed stuff out in the air for too long so I think I'll stick the jars in a mason jar and put it in the freezer until the samples I've left out either stabilize or go moldy.

Many thanks for you reply - much appreciated.

2 people like this

Just wack it on top of a radiator mate?

1 person likes this

I have no problem using kitchen towel and squeeze the water out then on radiator is only the oil wont handle I mix it with coconut oil for ingesting

1 person likes this

Thanks folks, I did try that and I think it has bonded on a molecular level to the baking parchment - I'm even struggling to freeze it off. Fortunately I only did a small sample. There's no way I could get kitchen towel anywhere near it - compared to the OG I did yesterday, it is almost like a different substance. The OG I could have dried in the oven on top of a feather duster and it would have been fine. It's strange stuff and I don't know what makes it different. I don't usually fresh freeze, but nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

I did a small ball for immediate use, and you can see how oily it is. However, despite my woes, it really is lovely stuff. I go from the 120 to the 45 micron bags (which I guess is blasphemy to the dabbers ) and this is from the 45 bag. Not full melt, but not far off.

Thanks for your replies.

large.IMG_6418.JPG

3 people like this

Ah ha! Heat mat and silicon tray. Thank you all for your help.

7 hours ago, Splinter said:

Thanks folks, I did try that and I think it has bonded on a molecular level to the baking parchment - I'm even struggling to freeze it off. Fortunately I only did a small sample. There's no way I could get kitchen towel anywhere near it - compared to the OG I did yesterday, it is almost like a different substance. The OG I could have dried in the oven on top of a feather duster and it would have been fine. It's strange stuff and I don't know what makes it different. I don't usually fresh freeze, but nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

I did a small ball for immediate use, and you can see how oily it is. However, despite my woes, it really is lovely stuff. I go from the 120 to the 45 micron bags (which I guess is blasphemy to the dabbers ) and this is from the 45 bag. Not full melt, but not far off.

Thanks for your replies.

large.IMG_6418.JPG

I can feel the love in that ball, lets see it split open.

4 people like this

I've only ever been given bubble, from the same source, and it's always as you describe, really sticky to the point of annoyance, it's even a bit awkward to smoke in anything other than a small pipe. Chap who kindly donates it thinks that this is how bubble is and I don't want to be a twat and contradict him since it's gifted. I know bubble is higher quality in most cases but I much prefer dry sift..but that may be because I've only ever had wet bubble;) 

1 person likes this

I think the hash fairies have been active - the ball seems somewhat smaller than it was yesterday.

large.5c9774fc3fab2_BGpressed.JPG

I think the consistency of bubble is so strain dependent. Here's an image of the Bubba's Gift on the left, which is a solid, sticky mass. On the right is the same bag size but with the OG. It really is chalk and cheese - the OG is hard and can be crushed and is going to be hard to press even with heat, whereas the Bubba can be pressed with just your fingers and the hot bottle is needed only to decarb it. The Bubba is about a 6 days old, the OG only 2 and they were processed exactly the same. Odd. The Bubba is better - almost full melt; the OG is tasty, looks cleaner under the scope, but has little melt. I'll probably run a small amount of Bubba bud once I can face it again and see if the bubble is as sticky from dried plant matter as it is from the fresh.

large.5c9774fb43567_BGOG.JPG

Thanks for you comments all.

6 people like this

22 hours ago, hash72 said:

I mix it with coconut oil for ingesting

Then there will be no problem if you heat it to just over 100c and evaporate the water. It will decarb your hash but as you are eating it, you want that anyway.

I had some bubble hash before that went like that, I pressed it before it was properly dry and it went like sticky toffee....so I ended up rolling it around some ground up bud, purely so I could actually touch the stuff without it sticking to my fingers.

1 person likes this

Thanks Microdoser, Cypher. I don't eat it. I often find pressed decarb'ed hash to be quite different from the bubble it is made from (it sounds like stoner-BS, but it really does change). The Bubba is quite bright and sociable for an indy dom - both the bud and the bubble. But when I press and decarb it I get a much heavier stone, quite narcotic which, for me, is perfect for when the day is done. I don't often get a great deal from the 160 bag but, in a way, it's my favorite bag. It has more contaminate of course, but it does make great hash and I always try to use some in a batch. The OG didn't change a great deal, possibly because it was much harder and I may not have bought it up to temps sufficiently.

Cypher, like the idea of the hazelnut pieces. That's how it was when it came out the bags. The surfaces, taps, door handles, light switches, floors etc were covered in it. I really did have to clean everything down with isopropanol. The pressed pieces are a lot more stable than I expected, evaporation from the heat perhaps. I have put the rest of the bubble in the freezer until I know if the pressed will mold. It would be nice to keep some for a while in pressed form - and concentrates cause my tolerance to skyrocket, so I have to control myself (and out of sight is out of mind).

Thanks for your help folks.

1 person likes this