Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bubbleguppie

Best way to heat a green house

32 posts in this topic

As title would suggest what is the best way to heat a 8 foot x 12 foot green house ( I do have outside power ) thanks in advance 

Depends what you want from it I suppose.

I'd be looking at soil heater cables myself, that's all that's necessary for warm roots in a glasshouse imo.

But all depends on yr needs I guess.

Parrafin heaters are what the old-timers used and they work but add alot of moisture to the air iirc.

These days fan heaters seem popular..

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ta for the reply @Dodgee I've got two 6 x 2 ft planters that ar already in the boarder were it is going/ they will be used for my toms and runners in the first in the 1st one in the second some salad bits n bobs with 3 autos on the go in 14 liter grow bags . Yes I know I should really only have the autos in there but if I don't have any thing else on the go the misses would throw kittens  plus I can use the runners and toms to hide the autos if need be 

Edited by bubbleguppie

Sounds like plenty of space to have your bits n bobs and a few autos without being to cramped.

If your only thinking of adding heat for the autos sakes I wouldn't bother myself, you should comfortably get 2 crops within our season without adding any heat..

If it's for the benefit of your other plants it's your call, I'm clueless about gardening outside the groom

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Why do you need a heater?

I run a heater in my green house but ive got plants in it now that im raising. The heater goes off when it warms up.

I have a 3kw oil rad on a thermostatic plug

Your runners dont need to be inside, they will go bananas in a greenhouse, put them outside or you will be swamped. If you want something that will add height, grow something like cucumber, melons or aubergine trained as cordons.

Lots of salad stuff will bolt in a greenhouse, again, most leafy greens can and should be outside. Lots of salad stuff is even frost hardy, my first sowing of salad greens went in the ground yesterday. 

The only veg that needs to be inside are toms, melon, cucumber, aubergine, peppers. Thats all i put in my polytunnel anywho, everything else goes outside. 

Obviously you can do other stuff but its not essential

If your putting autos in and need a heater then youve put your autos in too early anyway as your light hours arent gonna be up to much anyway. 

Stuff barely grows at this time of year even in a warm greenhouse with full sun. 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
2 people like this

@bubbleguppie you'd probably be better off investing in a dehumidifier and fan, instead of a heater ;)

1 person likes this

@beezee ive got a 8 inch osilating fan allready to help go with the air flow ill keep a eye out for a decent second hand dehumidifier. Im guessing thats to help with the humidty levels in the greenhouse etc

1 person likes this

I have a dehumidifier for indoors and it can cause more problems than it cures at times .  If I left it on full will growing in cloth sacks it would dry my soil out which left the nutes in . This would send my PH levels crazy  .  so watch what you do with them , they also give out warm air so could add warmth .  The air tends to go out 1 degree above what it went in .   on my delonghi any

I have a dehumidifier for indoors and it can cause more problems than it cures at times .  If I left it on full will growing in cloth sacks it would dry my soil out which left the nutes in . This would send my PH levels crazy  .  so watch what you do with them , they also give out warm air so could add warmth .  The air tends to go out 1 degree above what it went in .   on my delonghi anyway 

Posted (edited)

On 3/18/2019 at 5:05 PM, Dodgee said:

Parrafin heaters are what the old-timers used and they work but add alot of moisture to the air iirc.

There have been a number of threads discussing this and I seem to remember the concensus being that paraffin was good for veg, but affected the humidity too much in flower.

You're already battling mould/rot under glass, adding moisture definitely doesn't help.

I suppose you could get one with (or fashion one to have) a chimney, a bit like wood burners in a yurt or bell tent.

Or just buy a fan heater lol

E2a: of you're growing other things inside the greenhouse beside your bud, keep them in pots as they push humidity up as well and gives you an easy fix if it does get a bit cramped.

Better just to move them than have to pull them up.

Edited by Biltong Bob
Info
1 person likes this

If you have the right layout for it, thermal mass can make a big difference. Water butts and/or thick soil/brick walls will hold several degrees worth of heat and secrete it at night - when needed most.

1 person likes this

The heat from water barrels will be released as soon as the air temperaure drops below the water temperature so most of the heat will be gone when you need it most ;)

Water barrels need to be in direct sun which usually means the plants come off second best im terms of light. Barrels take up valuable floorspace and being black or at least  dark coloured they dont reflect light ;)

It's possible to build a greenhouse in such a position that it can take full advantage of thermal mass design. Hence why I mentioned having the right layout for it. 

face south, dig down 4ft, stick the frame at ground height you’ll get all the warmth you need from the ground plus giving you more headroom..

5 people like this