Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iGrow420710

Considering hydroponics need more info pls

i have a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent i have done 1 grow with soil and hated watering and draining 5 individual plants. 

i have tried to do my own research but have not got far. id like to find a method that suits me.

what would you guys being experts advise?

thanks in advanced 

1 person likes this

I'll be blunt mate and say what I thought when I read your post

If you hated watering only 5 plants then you dont seem prepared to much effort in 

Sorry but that's how it came over

No one can advise you what to use. Its what's practical to you. They can only tell you the way they grow and all options on a site this big will be covered 

Owd

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

It's not the effort side. Its the fact that hydroponics offer a method without the long windedness of dealing with various factors that soil have such as;

Creating a soil mixture of approx 50L-100L soil 

Water each plant individually

Make nutrients solution every 2-3 days.

drain each individual plant with a large "pipette?"

With each of those having more problems of their own. 

for me personally, i found these can be cut out with hydroponics.. 

P.S I suffer from AS, hence I would like my own medicine :)

Edited by iGrow420710

On 03/03/2019 at 7:09 PM, iGrow420710 said:

i have a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent i have done 1 grow with soil and hated watering and draining 5 individual plants. 

i have tried to do my own research but have not got far. id like to find a method that suits me.

what would you guys being experts advise?

thanks in advanced 

What i mean is 

Ive tried soil once, didnt really like it. I'd like to know more about what systems are available to me and which method may suit me.

Tried to do my own research but not really finding where to start.

Firstly,as you are growing for medicinal use  and presumably want to get the best effects from any medicine you consume,surely organic has to be a better option for your grow?  I'm sure there are organic ways to grow hydroponically but I've not tried them and would always advocate soil grows.

I'm not sure why you are still having to drain your drip trays after an entire grow,it's not rocket science,use less water:P.If you need to ,measure what comes off and put that much less on next time.You'll get used to what volume your plants need by watering less until your plants suck up any run off in the 30 minutes after watering.If there is still more than 5 millimetres of water in the drip trays after 30 minutes,drain it and use less next watering,the aim here is to get a decent wet/dry cycle going as it's easy to forget that the roots need a drier spell for gas exchange at times.If you are using coco your pots can stay wetter for longer but a few more soil crops would be advisable before you try coco.

I find using 2 litre fizzy drink bottles with these on large.5c4613dcc8b0c_s-l1600(1).jpg

helps with my watering regime.I wet the pots surface with these and then unscrew them to pour the rest.Dosing 2 litre bottles with Plant Magic Oldtimer nutrients (or any other for that matter) couldn't be easier.

Blumats might be another item worthy of your research as they would allow you to stay in organic soil but take a bit of the hassle out of watering every 2 days and they also go very well with a coco grow should you choose to change later.

Finally one last thing that helps me a lot with watering is a wetting solution.Plant Magic make one of those(from a Yucca extract if memory serves) and whilst not cheap it's very effective at removing the surface tension of each water droplet,thus making it much easier for the roots to get at any nutrients in solution and also less of it runs through into your drip trays in the first place.

I'd also recommend a read up in the organic section about no - till soils as once you have your original mix it just needs amending with a few things each new crop.

It's understandable that you want as hassle - free a grow system as possible but please also remember that this is about your good health and that what you can grow yourself will save you thousands so it's worth the research time and perhaps a diary here might also help you with advice on your next grow.

Good luck

:lucky:

Gumbo.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

My previous grow (first grow) was organic, in fabric pots. Found the potency lacking but got a decent yield. Before i even started many people have mentioned to me why am i not doing hydro, so i thought maybe id give it a try.. i have been told to look into DWC. 

Edited by Owderb

Posted (edited)

On 3/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, iGrow420710 said:

drain each individual plant with a large "pipette?"

get a cheap plastic Turkey Baster for a few quid & a £10 battery operated siphon off fleabay, they make life so much easier when dealing with run off.

Edited by Joint hogger
1 person likes this