Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hugh Jass

Tesco apples

So I got some apples from Tesco and when I bit into it, the apple kind of fell apart in the middle and the pips fell out.

So inbetween a wet bit of kitchen towel  and see if they sprouted, out of the twenty of so pips only one sprouted!!!

So it is now in a pot and growing quite quickly and nicely.

Will it grow into a nice big pink lady apple tree? Or will it grow weird due to pesticides and stuff?

Do they still irradiate their fruit and veg? Have I managed to sprout an irridated seed?

I did the same to some oranges but they are growing really slowly.

2 people like this

I chucked some apple pips into soil about 30 years ago.  Within (I think 3-4 years) they must have been around 10-12 feet tall and were producing apples.  These ones only provided apples every two years but I was pretty proud of them and they're still there in the garden today.  

5 people like this

Oranges are grafted onto Lemon root stock because the orange tree is nowhere near hardy enough afaik.

Bio

1 person likes this

i did 3 different apples last year  and all grew,,, also done lemons, grapefruit.  oranges ,  tangerines and even sprouted pomegranits all from seeds ....   with the lemon, grapefruit, orange seeds ,  dry the seeds for a few days  then gently remove the hard outer case of the seed and pop the litle inner  seed in damp paper towels  ... works a treat ...

Edited by vortex
4 people like this

Apples are grown from graft onto known rootstocks.. and eating verities are often triploid, requiring multiple pollination partners that flower at the same time. You won’t get a pink lady, but you do have a very slim chance of growing something edible if your very lucky.. productive edible varieties are very rare though so it would be like winning the lottery.

heritage varieties are amazing to eat but are not doing so well with the effects of climate change, you might fair better with something recommended for 100 miles south of your location.. maybe a french type depending on your latitude. Grafting is not difficult and is a cheap way to produce your own trees, you can buy rootstock and hardwood cuts online.. Or grow thousands from seed and hope to get lucky, it’s a long term project that requires plenty of time and space though.. hope you get lucky with your tree :smokin:.

Edited by Era
9 people like this

we used to graft all apple stocks onto m39 stock ..long time ago ..

2 people like this

there's only one true bramley apple tree in the world.....:smartass:

14 minutes ago, buddy13 said:

there's only one true bramley apple tree in the world.....:smartass:

And the rest are clones of that original tree??

Mad fact of the day award sire! lol

A quick Google tells me the original is dying of a fungal infection these days, sad news when you think it's been around 200 years like.

Edited by Dodgee
Add detail
2 people like this

6 hours ago, Dodgee said:

And the rest are clones of that original tree??

grafted onto other root stocks but it changes the flavour slightly. I do think they have used another more successful technique more recently though …?

8 hours ago, buddy13 said:

grafted onto other root stocks but it changes the flavour slightly. I do think they have used another more successful technique more recently though …?

The article I read mention a professor who had successfully raised tissue cultures to clones to trees.

I had heard of grafting and root stocks before as I had briefly considered a couple of fruit trees when the kids were younger.. just never happened.

But I never knew that Bramley's came from a single original tree, got me wondering now how many other varieties have a similar background..

From what I can gather the variety won't be dying off with that original tree, no fear Bramley fans!

1 person likes this

sports or freaks happen all the time in nature and now and again she pops out some beauties ; exodus cheese springs to mind first with many others following closely behind, something "breeders" rarely manage more than once dare I say...

1 person likes this

the salvia story is just as interesting; apparently all plants in at least Europe(most of the world I think) are all clones from 1 original plant due to the plant being almost impossible to get viable seed from.

3 people like this

Aye, I remember reading that back in my days doing salvia (I've run the gamut of hallucinogens and 'hypnotic/deleriants' up to smoking DMT - I'd love do do ayahuasca, I reckon that's probably the daddy lol - and IMHO salvia is the most 'serious' hallucinogen I've done :ohmygod: Smoking DMT puts you in another dimension and is probably the biggest headfuck for the brief time it lasts, but a full-on salvia experience is like nothing else, it can be awe-inspiring of fucking terrifying, it can be one of the best experiences you've ever had or one of the worst, I've lived entire lifetimes in the span of a salvia trip and some of them have been very unpleasant :ouch: It's not a toy, or a 'buzz,, it's a fucking serious shamanic tool, and Lady Sally can bite, and bite HARD if you take the piss). Can't grow it from seed, clone only and always has been (at least that's what I read about it back in the day).

1 person likes this