Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

knife making.

45 posts in this topic

Hello, Im fairly handy with my hands coming from a trade background and have previously made stuff which has ranged from absolutely terrible to pretty crap.

only kidding, some stuff ive made has turned out ok, but it was a while ago. Ive made tables, a sofa frame (which was too frickin low, when you sat on it you generally need help to get out of it ha ha, live and learn and all that) an electric guitar body, which was interesting and actually turned out well, as wel as loads of other things I cant remember.

ive no pics of any of these things , unfortunately, and im sure ive missed out loads and loads of other things ive made, but you get the idea. I like working with wood, metal and machinery, mostly motorcycles. I taught myself to spray paint and airbrush last year, and have since painted around half a dozen motorbikes. 

I'll get to the point now shall I. Ive decided that im gonna make myself a knife.  Don't worry, im not some coke fuelled 14 year old teenager with a moped stealing mobile phones and stabbing random strangers. Im just bored, and need something to do to keep me sane, ish. Ive always been interested in making them, just never scratched that itch.

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had a go at knife making.

Ive got as far as watching loads of yoo toob vids, and today I rashly ordered up the metal and the blanks to make the scales (these are the 2 halfs of the handles - see I know the lingo already). I also ordered up some 2 pack epoxy and am gonna need the pin things (technical term) to hold the 2 halfs of the knife handle to the blade.  Im sure I will need loads of other stuff which will bump my low cost project to end up costing twice what it would have cost if I had just bought one in the first place, but that's not the point is it?

I think its gonna be a bit of fun, altho I might regret it after ive started and realised that my shitty belt sander isn't up to the job, or that wait, I don't have a forge or heat treatment oven, or the right sanding belt or files or whatever etc etc, but im gonna do it anyway.

I might post some pics, but I was really just wondering if anyone else had tried this?

Anyone?

11 people like this

Can't help you with any advice mate but good luck with the project.

Some pics along the way would be great :yep:

2 people like this

you could buy cheap blank blades and just make the handles to start with,,I'm interested in how you do it without a forge of some type. good luck mate I like your attitude

3 people like this

Are you machining out the bolster yourself?  What metal are you using?

I'd go for a wooden handle myself.

1 person likes this

Big bad Billy 'Bob Kramer'

Google it.

;)

1 person likes this

well ive watched some yootoob and they have made up little forges to heat treat the metal, out of propane burners and some sorta thermalite blocks or something similar. You need it to be around 1475 degrees F, which you can test because the metal becomes de- magnetised at 1450F. 

So it seems you just leave in for a short while, then quench it in Heated vegetable oil. 

Im sure theres more to it than that like, but its a start eh?

bolsters? what are they? I dunno mate im using 1080 forging steel and synthetic material handles, er I mean scales. 

2 people like this

double post

Edited by badbillybob

I chose the 1080 because it was recommended as a good material for noobs and easy to heat treat 

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

I was looking for a wood carving knife for a prezzie mate and came across.  heinnie . com   you could probably get the rivets for you handle there, some lovely knives on the site 

1 person likes this

cheers Jimboo, I just had a look at their site. 

ooof they are expensive eh? but obviously quality craftsmanship. 

im planning using loveless fixings, they are meant to be the most solid fixings for handles and a couple of pins, for decoration

I think this is gonna take me ages to do so don't go holding your breath.

3 people like this

I had a look at doing this years ago..

The only thing of importance I can remember is you want a full tang.

The tang is the piece inside the handle, a full tang just means that the piece extends from the bottom of the blade through the full length of the handle.

This makes for a stronger knife and makes changing handles much easier.

That's about the limit of what I can remember now, if anything else springs to mind I'll holler.

Good luck

2 people like this

Nice one BadBillyBob, all the best with your project.

I know this sounds stupid, but I watched a few series' of 'Forged in Fire' a US game show where they make a knife from scatch then test it out.

One of the Judges was this Martial arts expert who would go through elaborate tests swinging and thrusting these knives with total accuracy and control. If the knife was a good 'un, he'd go "This knife weeeell keeeeel" and bow reverently.

Then the top two would go home to make another historical piece (like a Claymore or Viking Sword) and the winner got $100000. There were some incredible pieces being made.

When you're stoned and there's fuck all on, it's amazing what you can end up getting into.

The programme was great cos you saw all the fuck ups, poor quenching, cracked blades, short tangs etc as well as heaps of tips and advice from the pros. ... I would love to have a go myself, but no spare cash :(

Let me know if you post it up!

Edited by teehee
7 people like this

cheers fellahs, im planning going for a full tang Dodgee, and wont be using a bolster 

I might do a bit of checkering , or file some small grooves on the top of the blade as a thumb stop. (or whatever its called)

Yeah Teehee, I watch that forged in fire all the time. its amusing but you don't really see the quality these guys can produce till they do the mad swords or axes at the end. They are up against the clock which means they have to rush everything , but some of the results are bloody impressive none the less. 

it kinda sparked my enthusiasm for doing this if im honest, because some of the contestants have only been making knives for like 6 months or a couple of years. And yeah the martial arts bloke is nuts eh. 

I just thought id give it a try, to pass the time of day if im honest. Theres a good vid on the toob of a bloke making a knife just using a 4 inch grinder, and the end result is fookin impressive. if I end up with something that even remotely resembles a knife, i'll be pleased.

my sister does leather work,, so im softening her up, in the hope she will make me a sheath for it, she does all the fancy leather engraving or tooling stuff and shes good at it.

mon the postie!!

1 person likes this

If your into crazy home projects n shit I highly recommend "the king of random" on YouTube, loads of batshit crazy stuff made with stuff from around the house.

The shit that guy can turn a microwave into is no one's business I kid you not lol

E2+ sorry for straying off topic but I just thought it worth a mention if you got time on your hands and like being busy. 

Nice1 dodge

Edited by Dodgee
2 people like this

I am a bit of a knife collector myself ,actually I collect knives with different types of steel

My favourite S90V and VG10.

It's hard to find the perfect knive or to say which steel is the best,the ones which are hard to sharpen are more rust prone but hold an edge and more expensive,those at cheaper end like 420( yes 420 ) will be easy to sharpen but will loose its edge quickly,more brittle etc

If you interested to know more try the bladeforum mate

3 people like this