Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joel222

Food or no food

21 posts in this topic

Since completing my first grow I’ve learned so much from this forum. My second grow is underway being 2 weeks into veg. First time around I used a compost from a supermarket growbag and rainwater only without any food/additives at all. Would I get much more of a yield if I fed the plants?  They are currently in 8 inch height plant pots and I will be transplanting to larger ones before I flip them.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Joel222 said:

Since completing my first grow I’ve learned so much from this forum. My second grow is underway being 2 weeks into veg. First time around I used a compost from a supermarket growbag and rainwater only without any food/additives at all. Would I get much more of a yield if I fed the plants?  They are currently in 8 inch height plant pots and I will be transplanting to larger ones before I flip them.

100% your yield would be better with some feed.

Ok thanks, at what stages is what recommended? I really haven’t a clue as last time it was all just water that I used?

what yield did you get first time around ? 

Its not all about nutes , you need the right environment too . Too low a temperature will stop roots taking up the nutrients. Too little light will give stunted growth/stretch and poor yield. 

With regard to dosage have a look at the forums here you will find charts to help you . It depends what you are using really and if your babies need it. Generally in the right environment potted plants will need additional nutrients to give you a decent yield. Over doing nutes will also have negative effects. 

good luck :)

1 person likes this

Thanks, I’ve got 4 plants in a 120cm x 60cm tent with a 400w hps, currently in 8 inch pots but going to transplant them into bigger ones before I flip them. 

What compost is it?

3 minutes ago, distracted said:

What compost is it?

A general growbag from the supermarket 

They are a variable beast the compost, all composts vary in feed already in it, which affects how you feed or not. I would repot before you consider any feed unless they have been in there long

3 people like this

The compost I used was ‘Westland multi purpose with added John innes’

That's quite good.  If you team that up with maxicrop seaweed you will be fine.  Start to finish.  Although I'd also invest in some Epsom salts now and some mycorrizae funghi for the next run.

Just watch the general health and if you have an issue post it.  

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

That's quite good.  If you team that up with maxicrop seaweed you will be fine.  Start to finish.  Although I'd also invest in some Epsom salts now and some mycorrizae funghi for the next run.

Just watch the general health and if you have an issue post it.  

I like this, sounds cheaper than what I'm using.  I'm going to try it on my next run.....:smokin:

1 person likes this

Would you recommend the seaweed meal (which I presume should be mixed with the soil) or the liquid seaweed extract?

I've done a blend of Jack's magic, no 1, no 2, no 3, John innes.  I hope to go from start to finish using only two maxi  crop products.  And Epsom salts if needed.

Not had any deficiency or nute burn.

Yet

Use the liquid. Keep it simple.  

If it ain't broke....

Read the plants.

;)

3 people like this

Nice one, thanks

I've used Westlands Multipurpose with added John Innes and got scorched leaves when using it unmixed on it's own. Others have said the same , nobody knew exactly what caused it.

Oldtimer did trials with seaweed and found using it in the early stages was OK but all the way through and it reduced yield slightly.

1 person likes this