Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russjackell

Advice needed

18 posts in this topic

I have a gap in a pretty good plot, about 3ft wide, it’s got a fallen log blocking the gap and last year I chucked a couple hundred nettle seeds down, however come late sept/ Oct most has died back. It’s a chance in a million anyone  would walk past given that it’s so out of the way but if they did..... anyone know what I could plant in the gap now/ish to give me more cover come July/aug ? 

1 person likes this

Dig up some 20 bramble stems from the ground and plant them in the gap. Come March they should start growing quickly. Chuck aload of nettle seeds down on top. Add some chicken crap as well. 

1 person likes this

Got any photos? Maybe i can get a better idea of what your dealing with.

5 minutes ago, Tommy tucker said:

Got any photos? Maybe i can get a better idea of what your dealing with.

Hi Tommy, Thought about thebramble route, however come Oct, mould spores and all that, was hoping some kind of thorney / thick shrubbery? Doesn’t have to be thorney but it would help, also don’t want anything that would appear out of place like bamboo, which would be ideal! It’s for the back(north end) of plot. Gonna get my arse in gear and get down there this week, will take a pic. Cheers 

Camo netting sounds pefect than.

1 hour ago, Tommy tucker said:

Camo netting sounds pefect than.

Now there’s an idea....

1 person likes this

Ive use camo netting all the time.large.20180915_122011.jpg

5 people like this

On 12/27/2018 at 11:25 PM, Russjackell said:

I have a gap in a pretty good plot, about 3ft wide, it’s got a fallen log blocking the gap and last year I chucked a couple hundred nettle seeds down, however come late sept/ Oct most has died back. It’s a chance in a million anyone  would walk past given that it’s so out of the way but if they did..... anyone know what I could plant in the gap now/ish to give me more cover come July/aug ? 

Hello Russjackell,

Great question. I would say, plant anything that thrives in that area. I could uproot some bushes that grow around your spot and transplant it there.

Now is the best time to do it. By Spring, they'll grow new leaves and hide your spot perfectly.

If there are some small trees growing right next to the gap, you could also pull them horizontally and attach them with garden wire

The other option is to use some fake bushes :yep:

3 people like this

If you want something spikey, you can't beat hawthorn. Is a bit slow growing, so best bet would be to find one nearby to dig up and transplant. 

3 people like this

If it's maximum savagery you're after, transplant some wild rose into the gap. :yep:

I wouldn't go for anything artificial myself, as if it does get seen and identified as not natural it's going to be looked at more closely. 

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

If it's maximum savagery you're after, transplant some wild rose into the gap. :yep:

I wouldn't go for anything artificial myself, as if it does get seen and identified as not natural it's going to be looked at more closely. 

Yeah good point. You could say the same with camo netting to be fair.

1 person likes this

Yeah I wouldn't use camo netting either for that reason, it might not get seen, being camo and all, but if it does, it's likely to be investigated. :yep:

2 people like this

42 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Yeah I wouldn't use camo netting either for that reason, it might not get seen, being camo and all, but if it does, it's likely to be investigated. :yep:

Good point. I’ve got a couple small hawthorns on my allotment, think I’ll try one see if it takes

1 person likes this

Should do, it's the right time of year to move trees. :yep:

Just get it up in a half decent root ball, bag the root ball to keep the wind and any frost off them, and move it to your site. :)

1 person likes this

On 12/28/2018 at 0:17 PM, Tommy tucker said:

Ive use camo netting all the time.large.20180915_122011.jpg

BTW I have the same Scentlock Camouflage Hoody and I used to use it for the same purpose! lol

2 people like this