Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


barry1984

Which laptop should i buy

19 posts in this topic

Hi I'm not too clued up on computers and laptops and have always browsed this site on either my phone or my iPad.

 

I'm now thinking of buying a laptop and hope to be able to do a couple of grow diaries on here as hopefully I will be able to load photos up as I have always struggled with the iPad and phone.

 

I will also keep other family photos on there and just have general use out of it.

 

Does anyone know what I should be looking out for when buying one.

 

I don't mind spending £500 

 

Many thanks

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

The best thing to do is go on eBay and buy a never used laptop that is a year or two older from a seller with 99% rating.  This way you can get a business grade laptop (Dell lattitude) for big box store prices. And it's not used it's just year's model overstock. 

 

Oh and don't get windows 7, its unsupported in a year from now, so get windows 10.

Edited by Redeyezman
Typos
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I would wait it out for black friday and get one then mate, usually theres some good deals in your budget.

 

main thing to look at in a laptop is the CPU. You should be looking for at least an Intel i3, or a Ryzen 3.. a good deal on a laptop with either of these would be about £350ish (depending on other specs). An Intel i5 or Ryzen 5 would be better (but maybe better than you need) and can still be had under £500. Dont be tempted to get one with a cheaper Intel Pentium or AMD A series as these really arent as good and even doing basic stuff it will be noticeably slower.

 

When it comes to RAM dont worry too much anything 4gb and above will be fine. 

 

Hard Drives come in 2 different Types, SSD and HDD. Get one with an SSD, it will have a lower capacity than an equivalent priced HDD but your laptop will run alot better with an SSD.

 

Only other thing to think about is the screen, a Full HD display is well worth having and again can be had pretty easily on your budget

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Redeyezman said:

The best thing to do is go on eBay and buy a never used laptop that is a year or two older from a seller with 99% rating.  This way you can get a business grade laptop (Dell lattitude) for big box store prices. And it's not used it's just year's model overstock. 

 

Oh and don't get windows 7, its unsupported in a year from now, so get windows 10.

 

What you mean mate that windows 7 will be unsupported in a year? I have an i5 laptop and a windows 7 disk i put on in place of windows 10 wich i fecking hate. Will i stll be able to use my laptop using windows 7?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, theokoles said:

 

What you mean mate that windows 7 will be unsupported in a year? I have an i5 laptop and a windows 7 disk i put on in place of windows 10 wich i fecking hate. Will i stll be able to use my laptop using windows 7?

 

You will but you will not be able to download windows updates. What don't you like about Windows 10? Works perfectly fine to me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Ah thats fine then, i haven't updated anything for a over a year and still runs like a dream after 5 years of use. Last time i tried an update it gave me windows 10, then crashed the fuck out of my laptop. I just don't like the layout of win 10, creature of habbit and 7 does everything i need. It's only used for basic stuff like sending emails, writing letters, listening to tunes on my headphones, and spouting shite on here lol

Edited by theokoles
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

jumping in here, anyone know one with mechanical keys which is cheapish? its for my mum who touch types, all of the ones with mechanical keys seem to be really high end gamind laptops.

Share this post


Link to post

cant help with the mechanical keys, but ive just bought a laptop. 

its got ryzen 3 and its an acer aspire 3, its my 3rd one in about 10 years, I keep breaking them, but I got it for Tesco, was on offer, 380 reduced to 300 quid, works fine.

But I couldn't tell you the techno lowdown on it, I just know it works and its pretty fast.

 

 

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bazil brush said:

jumping in here, anyone know one with mechanical keys which is cheapish? its for my mum who touch types, all of the ones with mechanical keys seem to be really high end gamind laptops.

 

They are not going to be cheap, as they are all going to be aimed at the gaming market with high specs.

 

Perhaps buy an external keyboard instead, or look for a lappy with a 'mechanical membrane', which is somewhere in between.

 

If your looking for keyboard recommendations, I'm typing on a Razer Tournament TKL (which is more compact) as we speak. 

 

Their own switches are quite sexual.

 

11 hours ago, barry1984 said:

Hi I'm not too clued up on computers and laptops and have always browsed this site on either my phone or my iPad.

 

I'm now thinking of buying a laptop and hope to be able to do a couple of grow diaries on here as hopefully I will be able to load photos up as I have always struggled with the iPad and phone.

 

I will also keep other family photos on there and just have general use out of it.

 

Does anyone know what I should be looking out for when buying one.

 

I don't mind spending £500 

 

Many thanks

 

 

 

Toshiba have always been a good brand for me, and get constantly recommended. Although I doubt you can go too far wrong with any of the major manufacturers.

 

My advice would be to go for an i5 if you can (i3 minimum), and get the largest SSD you can afford. 

 

If you plan on heavy gaming a dedicated GPU is the order of the day, but this is stretching the budget.

 

If your using it for DSLR etc.. photo's an SD card slot would be handy, not essential.

 

A CD/DVD burner would be of use if you plan on ripping stuff to disc.

 

They all come with USB 2 ports but a couple of USB 3's would be nice, again not essential.

 

There's usually some reconditioned or customers return bargains to be had on the Bay.

 

Good Luck.

 

Edited by stoned_ape
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bazil brush said:

jumping in here, anyone know one with mechanical keys which is cheapish? its for my mum who touch types, all of the ones with mechanical keys seem to be really high end gamind laptops.

 

Thinkpad T420...it's a coincidence,  by the way, no connection to pot site. :D

 

Fucking lovely keyboard, touch-typer approved -  the last of the great think pads with proper keys. You can pick up a reconditioned one for around 200 quid. If you chose to, adding a SSD is easy as is upping the memory (max 16gb).

 

I cannot give mine up! Also, they don't break, and if anything does they are really easy to fix yourself. They really are a design classic.

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

2nd hand lenovo thinkpad t420s all day long ...pick em up with an i5 processor for under a ton ...whack lubuntu on them ,replace hdd with ssd ..and wallop superfast cheapo lappy .

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@stoned_ape Plus one for Toshiba laptops, ive had 2 in the last 13 years. I was told back then that Toshiba were good for washing machines and feck all else..but my personal experience is they are the nuts. My Toshiba i5 is about 5 or 6 years old and i don't update anything and it never lets me down.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

2nd hand lenovo thinkpad t420s all day long ...pick em up with an i5 processor for under a ton ...whack lubuntu on them ,replace hdd with ssd ..and wallop superfast cheapo lappy .

 

*high five* :)

 

X220 is a lovely little machine, too. I find 14" my comfort spot though (as the actress said to the Bishop :D ) so tend do do my tinkering on the T420.

 

There's always the benefit of being able to beat home invaders to death with it, too. Hardcore build quality. I had my on the corner of the couch, open, and  mindlessly twatted it off onto the floor with a clatter with my knee. Machine was fine but my knee was fucked. Not even kidding!

 

 

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

ive dropped this laptop umpteen times ..the only thing ive broken is the battery ..and you can get much better replacement ones cheaper than the original lenovo ones ..best laptops for clumsy gits these are .

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

ive dropped this laptop umpteen times ..the only thing ive broken is the battery ..and you can get much better replacement ones cheaper than the original lenovo ones ..best laptops for clumsy gits these are .

 

Yeah man, know that well, been through a few. I had the larger one that stuck out the back, but got pissed off with it and went back to the one that fits flush. As you say, too easy to break.

 

My last office drone job we were given the X1 Carbons. Really nice machines, but I'm still in love with old faithful at home. My kids don't like the look of it, and when I say "but I've got 2 virtual machines running and it's not even slowed down! Moores law is no more, kiddies -  And look at those aluminium cast one-piece hinges!" they look at me funny :D 

 

You're a man of impeccable taste, Vince. Reeee-spect :D 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now