Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Seacowmilk

organic compost
Soil mix biocanna line WTF is happening

Hey all,

Huge problem, I've not even planted in the soil and my runoff ppm (should I be measuring runoff anyway?) is ridiculous... about 2400ppm. The PH is also around 7. 

I've used a mix of bioterra plus soil, biobizz light mix, perlite, an innoculant, kelp meal, EWC and a half to quarter dose of the following: maxicrop seaweed extract, GH nectar (humic acid) and literally one or two drops of bio silicon. 

None of the things I've added should cause the kind of readings I'm seeing surely? I know the bioterra soil is pretty heavy to begin with but it's probably less than half bioterra. 

The meters I'm using are pancellent... easily found online. They seem to be accurate on my tap water so I can only assume they're accurate on the runoff. 

So anyone have any ideas what I've done? 

Alternatively, I have a little cabinet of materials which I can use to completely restart the soil:

EWC
Bioterra plus
Biobizz lightmix
Kelpmeal
Rootgrow innoculant
Perlite 
Guano

I've got a pretty extensive compost brewing kit so I'm intending on only using the biocanna line lightly. 

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Seacowmilk

I can feel myself turning into the grumpy old fucker ya know...

Ok first off, are you growing in soil? Or fucking hydro?

If soil stop dicking around with nonsense like pH and EC. 

Second, are you using a ready made compost? Or your own mix?

Make your mind up.

Lightmix has shed loads of useless perlite in already, why add more of a largely useless element to your pots??

Kelp/EWC/guano are all great things to add to a homemade mix but adding them to premixes is just asking for trouble imho.  They're premixed at a particular pH/EC for a reason. Fuck with them and u fuck with them. End of.

Sorry if that comes across a bit ranty but it's easy ok. K.I.S.S 

Keep It Simple Stupid.

So use the standard mix as it comes out of the bag. Don't worry about ecing your runoff. Especially before you even stuck a seed anywhere near the pot and have absolutely no reason to assume anything is wrong with it.

Rootgrow/myco is fine to use if you have it anyway.

Feed with standard grow/bloom nutes at the appropriate times.

Walk before you try running like :yinyang:

9 people like this

That's okay! I can deal with grumpy fuckers if they're helping me out. 

Soil - it's a mix as listed below and the extra perlite was to compensate for the fact that bioterra soil is TOO good at holding onto water and has no perlite in. 

1 hour ago, Seacowmilk said:

I've used a mix of bioterra plus soil, biobizz light mix, perlite, an innoculant, kelp meal, EWC and a half to quarter dose of the following: maxicrop seaweed extract, GH nectar (humic acid) and literally one or two drops of bio silicon. 

Yeah you're absolutely right mate. The golden rule. I always get fixated on finer details and try to improve, but as always - fucking with nature doesn't end well for humans

Thanks for your help! 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Seacowmilk said:

Hey all,

Huge problem, I've not even planted in the soil and my runoff ppm (should I be measuring runoff anyway?) is ridiculous... about 2400ppm. The PH is also around 7. 

None of the things I've added should cause the kind of readings I'm seeing surely? I know the bioterra soil is pretty heavy to begin with but it's probably less than half bioterra. 

The meters I'm using are pancellent... easily found online. They seem to be accurate on my tap water so I can only assume they're accurate on the runoff. 

So anyone have any ideas what I've done? 

Alternatively, I have a little cabinet of materials which I can use to completely restart the soil:

EWC
Bioterra plus
Biobizz lightmix
Kelpmeal
Rootgrow innoculant
Perlite 
Guano

I've got a pretty extensive compost brewing kit so I'm intending on only using the biocanna line lightly. 

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

If your growing in soil then there is no need to measure PPM's its not the same as growing in coco or hydro your PPM's in soil are going to be a lot higher this is NORMAL as the soil buffers them, also dont bother with checking PH as the soil fixes this for you and if you change it then your whole grow will be wrong PH. Just follow the grow chart supplied by your nutes brand and as you have added bat shit and kelp bring your nutes down. I would just use plain water for first 2 weeks at the start then just follow the chart. Dont take this for gospel as i dont know the amounts of the things you added to the soil. Hope this helps mate good luck

2 people like this

Phew. Thanks. I just see a lot of people panicking about these things and it triggers me ahahha. I think I may just use the above mix as the final pot when I get around to growing as a bigger plant will be a lot more forgiving if I've gone over the top. 

26 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Make your mind up.

Lightmix has shed loads of useless perlite in already, why add more of a largely useless element to your pots??

Kelp/EWC/guano are all great things to add to a homemade mix but adding them to premixes is just asking for trouble imho.  They're premixed at a particular pH/EC for a reason. Fuck with them and u fuck with them. End of.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

So use the standard mix as it comes out of the bag. Don't worry about ecing your runoff. Especially before you even stuck a seed anywhere near the pot and have absolutely no reason to assume anything is wrong with it.

Your absolutely right buy the branded soil buy the same brand nutes and follow there chart its all setup that way for you. When you start fucking with it then your asking for trouble unless you got whole lot of experience under your belt!

Edited by rigs62
3 people like this

1 hour ago, Dodgee said:

Make your mind up.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

lol fucking ended me this did lol:hug:

2 people like this

Germ the seeds in the light mix then pot into the Bio canna. Don't worry about the properties of the run-off. Just make sure the plants don't stand in it for more than half hour. Pot up in stages and they should be fine on plain water until they are a couple of weeks into flower. 

3 people like this