Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

zinc

Germination of seeds in rockwool problems

I have had 3 seeds in rockwool cubes now for anout a week.

I noticed on 1 that the root was coming out above the cube i sliced the cube open and replanted carefully in a new cube.

While i was there i cut open the other 2 cubes to see what was going on. They are still just seeds with no signs of growth.

Is there anything i can do to help them along?

Sometimes the shell can be tough, there's an old trick where you line the inside of a matchbox with sandpaper and put the seed in and lightly shake to scuff the seed shell and hopefully then the tap root can break free. There might be more methods im sure there will be someone along shortly who is more experienced than me

3 people like this

Cheers @Stonedjones

Will see if anyone else chimes in with any more options.

If nothing better is suggested i will wait a couple more days and try your sandpaper method.

I hope it is just them being slow on the uptake as these are the next to go into the groom and the current crop is being chopped down over the weekend.

Lots of seeds are not viable. The rates vary from breeder to breeder. What seeds are they? Was the rockwool soaked in 5.5ph? If you squeezed them they might have dried out fast. Were they under a cover? Bulb on them? 

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Redeyezman said:

Lots of seeds are not viable. The rates vary from breeder to breeder. What seeds are they? Was the rockwool soaked in 5.5ph? If you squeezed them they might have dried out fast. Were they under a cover? Bulb on them? 

They are strain hunter - money maker. rockwool soaked, certainly not dried out. No cover or bulb on them though.

Posted (edited)

i always drop seeds in glass of water for 24 hrs and then into a damp paper towel in the dark for a few days untill the tap root appears then into cubes .

try that next time mate at least you will know if the seeds are viable

from there cubes into a open prop with a small light above it until the roots start coming through the cubes then into medium and away you go :)

money maker and money bush were one of the first strains i ever grew and yeilded quite well for a first /second attempt at growing anything

Edited by doobie01
adding nostalgia lol
3 people like this

20 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

i always drop seeds in glass of water for 24 hrs and then into a damp paper towel in the dark for a few days untill the tap root appears then into cubes .

try that next time mate at least you will know if the seeds are viable

from there cubes into a open prop with a small light above it until the roots start coming through the cubes then into medium and away you go :)

money maker and money bush were one of the first strains i ever grew and yeilded quite well for a first /second attempt at growing anything

Cheers doobie.

Have uses my current method with 100% success so far (3 grows in now). Although i do prefer coco jiffy things.

Your method always worried me with the amount of handling but maybe this is now the time to try it.

Looking forward to seeing what they turn out like. Nice to hear you rate them. I read a few reviews saying that they werent very happy with the strain. We shall see!

it was defo one of my first three i ever did when i was just a lurker on uk420 so i didnt have much to compare it to but i seem to remember it being a real thick resin tasting bud and was quite strong.

the thing with reviews most are done by people who loads of experience growing so it may seem low yeilding or a poor flavour to them as they have run 50 different strains ect.

also have a look at rootit blocks they dont fall to bits like a rockwool cube can and are spongy so you can stretch the hole for the root tap with tweezers get it in and it closes up a bit again 

all the best with them mate 

1 person likes this

Still no signs of life last night so may transfer to some papertowel if nothing is showing tonight. We are still early in and although i dont think we have yielded aswell on the current crop the bud looks alot better. We also had 2 on the last one which was so branchy it made it a nightmare to trim. Will take a look at the root it blocks and maybe get a few to try.

Cheers for your help so far :)

Had no joy with the seeds unfortunately. Going to grow out a little seedling i have for another week or so and take some clones i think. Then  put in an order for some more seeds.

Anybody any experience with white labels purple bud?