Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Biobizz light mix

A quick question....I usually use Plant Magic compost, I went to the grow shop over the weekend and fancied a change of medium, on a whim really. I was going to get a bag of Allmix, but I seemed to remember it was regarded as being a bit hot for seedlings so I went with the light mix....Edit to add, I use Biobizz nutes, fishmix and bloom.

I've got my doubts now, is the light mix more suitable for seedlings, moving on to allmix as they get older, or is lightmix ok for a full run?

Any advice and experiences appreciated. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington

I reckon with light mix you start feeding straight away for anything other than seedlings so you have more complete control of the feeding regime, with all mix you have a couple of weeks grace so if you go by the recommended potting up (approx every 2 weeks if plants are growing well) and OT's Biobizz feeding schedule then you don't need to introduce nutes until flower.  Someone far wiser I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong.

1 person likes this

Pretty much as I was thinking. :yep:

My last grow was a clusterfuck, which has knocked my confidence a bit....

I'm doing autos this time, my concern is that as there's going to be no potting on, other than half litre germ pots, then into finals, they're going to be a bit lacking from the outset, and it's going to make judging feed trickier. :unsure: I don't need to be making life harder for myself at the moment.  lol

1 person likes this

Have you read any of Botanics/Fraggs/Neza's or Blackpool Bouncer's auto diaries?  I've not grown any autos but know they can be tricky with feeding so less is more.

I'm thinking about running Indutrial CBD auto so read a few diaries in preparation of what to expect and going to use Botanics's as a reference.  I also had a word with Mark (Dinafem) where I said I would run the seed in reused allmix for the first 10 days (approx) until roots first show at the bottom of the pot and pot up to final in allmix which he didn't think would be a problem.

There's a wealth of info in Botanics diary (link below) about feeding from him and other contributers so would recommend reading through the lot in case you miss.  Page 5 a former member UKCaregiver gives advice about feeding etc (blue text) and they seem to know their onions.

As said I have zero experience  with autos but don't want your confidence to take another hit as I think of them being for more advanced growers.  Photos you can make mistakes and let a prolongued veg time make up them, whereas autos you're on countdown. 

I don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs btw

All the best with it

Not talking bollocks @@greenfingers1987... Sounds like you are talking about semi autoflowers, which are kind of half photoperiod, half autoflower. Some really good outdoor strains that will flower on 18-0, but best veg them on 24-0 and plant them outside the day the days start getting shorter! ;) There is a great strain from spliff seeds which is early pearl x viking which is great for outdoors!

I think these auto's look good for 14 days. They are a bit slow between 10 dand 14 days, but all autos are a bit slow then! The next 2-4 weeks they do most of their growing. Ignore any early pistils, they will still be in their growth stage for a while yet! Some of the best grows I have done I have stayed on grow nutes without bloom until around 60 days in. Autoflowers always go bigger and yield better when you go with grow nutes for ages. They are in better health that too, as opposed to the growers plants that switch to bloom just coz their plants show pistils. Big mistake with auto's!

I tend to go on 24-0 for most of the grow. Maybe change it in the last few weeks to 22-2 or 20-4. Never look for early dark periods. All I concentrate on in good rh and good temps and the auto's always thrive then.

I like to germinate seeds under hps. A 250w hps at about 2ft away is fine for a few days, then drop it to 18'' away. I actually raise or drop it until the rh is perfect, I don't give a flying crap how many or how little lumens / par the plant gets, just care about the environment and have had wonderful results since. My plants are lucky to see nutes before week 7!

I like to start auto's in their final pots. But if I'm growing loads of them, I will start them in 1 litre air pots and just stick them in the ground when they show me they are the strongest. That way I don't waste soil on rubbish ones. They love starting in 1 litre air pots and living in them for their whole life. No transplant stress. Try and get the pots apart at the end of the grow though lol It's like rope going from one to the other!

Edited February 13, 2016 by UK Caregiver

1 person likes this

Thanks man. :yep:

I've grown out plenty of photos and a few autos over the years with varying results....consistency is my problem, identifying deficiencies and toxicities, and acting upon them early is a massive weak point in my growing.

My last grow went from looking like my best ever, to probably my worst ever, in my current set up anyway, and it's really knocked me back. :no:

1 person likes this

I'm right there with you about reading my plants, part of the reason I've avoided autos but that Industrial Power CBD sounds like something I need in my life. 

All the best with your future grows I'm sure you'll do grand - the fact that you are questionning your skills is half the battle, I'll be lurking from afar if you put a diary up.

Take care

1 person likes this

Cheers dude, I am planning on doing a diary for my next run I need help man.... lol I've been here for years and I've never done one either so I probably should. :)

1 person likes this

I always use Biobizz light mix for the full grow, and find that I don't need to feed anything until about 4 weeks into veg when I start adding half strength Hesi nutes.... I tried All Mix a few times but personally found it too hot.

2 people like this

@cypher79,

Hope you don't think I'm contradicting you to be argumentative as not intended.

I always start at half strength nutes and used the Biobizz all mix in my serious seeds Bubblegum attempted diary way back, they seemed to handle it fine and after approx 4 weeks were showing signs of needing fed - could be I had an old batch of compost.

Since then I've not really thought twice  about using all mix.  The shop I go to said they're stopping stocking biobizz compost so I used Plagron Allmix this time and pretty happy with it - it was a fresh pallet in that they were just taking the plastic wrap off, so tried to keep to the two weeks and pot up and it's worked well without me using grow nutes at all.  I do use maxicrop root and bio silicon in veg.

I use Hesi for flower (as I feel comfortable with  doses etc) and also some calmag as a preventative at half strength 'cause I'd read about LED grows needing more and I'm in a soft water area.

It's all horses for courses though.