Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Casey Jones

What compost are people using atm?

56 posts in this topic

I just wondered what everyone is using? I'm ditching the Jack's Magic as it's been the 3rd poor crop in a row now, so it must be the compo. Bulbs, carbon filter, reflectors etc changed in the last 6 months. I noticed the roots aren't as good as they used to be on the starter 1.5l pots. Potted up yesterday to 6L with Jacks's Magic as it was all I had. The Jack's Magic hadn't been stored well and was quite wet when I bought in homebase.  I'm going to be using something else when I pot up to 11L in about 10 days. I noticed on the Which 2018 report on the sticky, that LIDL Multipurpose was the best in their test, with B&Q verve second. I bought a bag of LIDL multipurpose this morning. 40L for £1.89 is mad cheap. It was well stored under a roof and was nice and dry. I haven't opened it yet. I used to use B&Q Verve and had great results before it was full of flies and other insects, but that was about 2.5 years ago, and used Jack's Magic since, but now it doesn't seem to be too good and is way down the list on the Which report.  I might buy a bag of Gold Label Special Mix to test as I used to get good results years ago, but I believe you can get just as good results with budget as premium compo. So what are you using?

Edited by Casey Jones
1 person likes this

Im using stuff called "Plant it!" Its a reduced peat mix and cost like £9 for 50l. Im prefering it to my usual which is biobizz all mix and light mix. With this new stuff im using it for seedlings and no burn at all. 

Ive used b&q verve for my first grow and couldnt complain lol.. lots of things went wrong so cant say it was the soil lollol

I can rememeber it not drying out very quick.

Atb

JJ

Iv used verve this year and its been spot on, no complaints! No flies of any kind, no chunks of wood or any other unwanted materials :yinyang: maybe grab a bag and see how it is? Its cheap enough like... And i hear different stores have different suppliers? So maybetry another store if its the same as you mentioned?

BL  

2 people like this

the only thing i didn't like about the verve compost was the flies you would get from using it, some bags would overrun your grow room with the little feckers....

iv been using growsure seed and cutting compost for the past couple of years now and iv never had any problems with flies or chunks of wood/glass or anything like that in it, i know its for seeds and cuttings but i use it from start to finish with my plants....

4 people like this

since i managed to crop with plant magic first time i have used their range again..

not the cheapest brand but the stuff i bought when i first started years ago is still good today..

grow and harvest have their stuff at a fair price

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, craigfjyp said:

the only thing i didn't like about the verve compost was the flies you would get from using it, some bags would overrun your grow room with the little feckers....

iv been using growsure seed and cutting compost for the past couple of years now and iv never had any problems with flies or chunks of wood/glass or anything like that in it, i know its for seeds and cuttings but i use it from start to finish with my plants....

btw i should add...

you can buy the growsure stuff year round from places like wilko's, BnM and homebargains, its 2.99 for a 20L bag....

2 people like this

Only plagron light mix and batmix..the ph is the nuts, wouldnt ever consider using anything else..

I always use either Bio-bizz light mix or Plagron light mix....been thinking about trying a different brand though as those need all the sticks and stones sifting out.

BB Lightmix and Bat special. 10 quid a bag. 

Edited by Key

Go to a nursery that has excellent looking plants and buy what they use.

Sinclair's, shamrock or clover it will most likely be.

Do you use what is an industry standard by professionals who grow thousand of plants to the highest standards or use stuff aimed at the home gardener. Think about it.

The stuff aimed at the canna grower is purely to have you pants down and relieve you of your hard earned.

6 people like this

58 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Sinclair's, shamrock or clover it will most likely be.

Hey mate , can you fill me in on the advantages of clover , like many I guess I'm cautious to change but you speak sense so I want to learn. Any info is appreciated, I'm one of those who buys Canna stuff (biobizz) . 

Thanks

:yinyang:

Clover seem to have had some issues recently,check out muddy bootz allotment diary on youtube,#106.

The clover issue was resolved quick sharp my nursery told me. They had one batch that had a few bits that weren't as fine in the bag but wasn't really a massive issue in reality and every batch since has been fine.

I bought a few bags last week for a friend and they were spot on.

@Breezus you cannot beat the growth you get from quality peat compost. The structure is divine so enables to roots to grow in an ideal environment. Peat doesn't compact like Jack's is famed for and retains its light airy structure. It has both excellent drainage and water holding properties.

Compared to products like verve or compost made using council communal waste it is world apart.

There's a reason why almost every professional nursery in the country use these types of product. It is industry standard. 

Alternatively buy a bale of fine grade peat and add some nutrients. Same difference. It's the structural quality of peat that makes it so good.

Which also is a problem. Peat is not sustainable which is why I don't use any if these products anymore. I haven't found a compost on the market that can hold a candle. The only compost i have fpund that is as good or better is what I make myself but that's quite the task of its own.

No way was I continuing buying 7000 litres of peat a year. As good as it is it would play havoc with my environmental morals.

4 people like this

Tropic Bat Mix for me!

Never have I had lovely lush roots like it! Lush roots means lush buds. No wood bits either, which attract fungus gnats! 

I went away from BioBizz purely because of the pearlite bits making depositing it very difficult. But Biobizz used to give me good results too.

I like a light mix and worm castings with a metal halide for extra chlorophyll production.